shape
carat
color
clarity

Caring for Tsavorites?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so my RHR isn''t here yet (and won''t be until the end of this week), but I''m putting some thought into caring for it already. I got a Jewel Jet for the holidays, but have read on a couple of websites that steam cleaning isn''t OK for tsavorites. Can anyone comment on this? I''m a little leery of the ultrasonic as I''ve had stones come loose in it before, and just not sure what will be the best solution to get this ring (5-stone, diamonds and tsavs) really really clean.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 8:31:44 PM
Author:AmberGretchen
OK, so my RHR isn't here yet (and won't be until the end of this week), but I'm putting some thought into caring for it already. I got a Jewel Jet for the holidays, but have read on a couple of websites that steam cleaning isn't OK for tsavorites. Can anyone comment on this? I'm a little leery of the ultrasonic as I've had stones come loose in it before, and just not sure what will be the best solution to get this ring (5-stone, diamonds and tsavs) really really clean.
My engagement ring is a tsavorite and I wouldn't use a steam cleaner on it for anything.

I put it in an ultrasonic about once a week or so and just use a baby toothbrush and liquid soap the rest of the time.

At night I normally keep in in an old film pot with a bit of ammonia based jewellery cleaner, some liquid soap and warm water. Then I just rinse it in the morning.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s almost here?!
36.gif
I usually just wipe my ring with a gem cloth. If I''m feeling industrious, I wash it with a gel and a soft toothbrush. I do get it steamed whenever I''m at my jeweller''s. My dealer assured me that no special care was necessary.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Pandora - that''s good to know, and a great idea about keeping it in a cleaning solution at night. That would probably be good for all of my jewelry. Currently when I need to clean it I use ethanol but that''s probably a slightly more gentle cleaning solution.

Harriet - that''s interesting about what the dealer said. I think I will ask them their opinion, and Whiteflash''s as well.

It is *almost* here - original estimated date was January 7th, but now that''s a bit up in the air, complicated by the fact that I might be going out of town on the 8th, so we''ll see - should have an answer of some kind on Monday, hopefully...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can hardly wait to see it. I have a Jewel Jet and really like it. It doesn''t seem to be hot enough to burn my fingers so I don''t know why it would hurt a garnet. However, I know they recommend them only for diamonds, rubies and sapphires.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Marcy - I''m with you, I''m super excited to see what this baby looks like in person
36.gif

I''m so glad to know that you like your Jewel Jet - I''ve been so frustrated with trying to keep my diamonds clean, so I''m really hoping this will help - soaking in ethanol helps a ton with the more expose surfaces, but it just loosens the stuff in the small crevices and steaming it at jewelers'' seems to be the only way to really get that junk out.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh can''t wait to see it!!!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see!
36.gif

Don't have a tsav yet
27.gif
, but I use soap and water for everything--even diamonds.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I strongly encourage using only soap and water on everything except rubies, sapphires, and alexandrites. I never put my tsavorite in a sonic, or use a jet cleaner. Just not worth the risk in any way.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 1:03:42 PM
Author: shaunrice
I strongly encourage using only soap and water on everything except rubies, sapphires, and alexandrites. I never put my tsavorite in a sonic, or use a jet cleaner. Just not worth the risk in any way.
The risk of what? Cracking? Changing color?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Swingirl,
What have you done with yours?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The sudden heat from the steam can crack many colored stones. It''s best to keep steam away from everything except diamonds and sapphires. A lot of jewelers who don''t work often will colored stones will blast the finished piece with steam, since they do this all the time with diamonds. You should warn them first. I had a jeweler set an apatite, and then blast it with steam. When she took it away from the steam, the stone was gone, turned into about 1000 pieces. Ultrasonic and steam, are specifically not recommended for garnets.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 4:47:03 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
The sudden heat from the steam can crack many colored stones. It''s best to keep steam away from everything except diamonds and sapphires. A lot of jewelers who don''t work often will colored stones will blast the finished piece with steam, since they do this all the time with diamonds. You should warn them first. I had a jeweler set an apatite, and then blast it with steam. When she took it away from the steam, the stone was gone, turned into about 1000 pieces. Ultrasonic and steam, are specifically not recommended for garnets.
I''ve seen that "shattered tempered glass" look on parts of apatite crystals (I collect minerals), and I often wondered what created it - now I know. Ouch.

AmberGretchen - apologies for threadjacking.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2009 11:30:24 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Marcy - I''m with you, I''m super excited to see what this baby looks like in person
36.gif

I''m so glad to know that you like your Jewel Jet - I''ve been so frustrated with trying to keep my diamonds clean, so I''m really hoping this will help - soaking in ethanol helps a ton with the more expose surfaces, but it just loosens the stuff in the small crevices and steaming it at jewelers'' seems to be the only way to really get that junk out.
I soak my jewelry in the pink jewelry cleaner you can get at Walmart then use the Jewel Jet on the weekends. I just looked on awesomegemstones website and they say garnets are safe in ultra sonic but don''t use a steam cleaner on them. I would hate for anything to happen to your beauties when you get them.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add that I only use my ultrasonic on my tsavorite because it is loupe-clean. If it had any inclusions it wouldn''t be going near it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 5:04:39 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
I''ve seen that ''shattered tempered glass'' look on parts of apatite crystals (I collect minerals), and I often wondered what created it - now I know. Ouch.

AmberGretchen - apologies for threadjacking.
You do? My friend!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What about ammonia? My tsavorite is set in platinum. Is it okay to use ammonia on it?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. My dealer''s wife uses ammonia.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 4:47:03 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

Um...WOW
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
OK, I''m convinced - no Jewel Jet for my tsavs...
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results