shape
carat
color
clarity

Caring for mother of pearl?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received my custom MoP pendant but don’t know much about caring for the material.

Is it safe to put in an ultrasound cleaner? It’s eventually going to have a diamond set in the center and I’d ideally like to be able to ultrasound it...

I’m assuming it’s ok to be in water? Lol.

Detergents to avoid? Or ones that are safe?

BA556BFA-8F41-4FF9-AA6F-A4322CA399DE.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely not use an ultrasonic cleaner, nor any typical jewelry cleaners. Mild soap only and only if it gets grubby-- otherwise, filtered or bottled water. Avoid chlorine and hard water.
It appears to be glued in. I would not soak it as the glue might loosen.

What about another organic gem in the center, maybe opal? Cleaning would be similar.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
First, I love this piece and I think it will look amazing with the grey diamond set in the center!

I would treat the MOP exactly like any other piece of pearl jewelry. I would never put it into an ultrasonic cleaner or use anything other than a mild soap like pearlsngems said. Pearls and MOP are very sensitive to everything, like heat and chemicals, and need to be treated with care.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the advice guys!
I will take care not to let it soak or take it swimming even if it is originally from the water!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Dawn count as a mild soap?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. Way too harsh. Also it's not actually a soap, it's a detergent. Chemically they are different. Most liquid "soaps" are also detergents.

Try Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid soap (castile soap), if you can find it. Their baby soap is unscented. But you really can't use it with hard water-- it will combine with the minerals in the water to form gummy soap scum on the jewelry. This is why I recommend bottled water-- distilled is ideal.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness that is gorgeous @MakingTheGrade!! Just so beautiful - it will be simply spectacular with your Shale grey :love:

It's a giant diamond with what looks like a very open pavilion - I think you could take a baby toothbrush to just the diamond occasionally without much ado. I use Dr. Bronners on my pearls as well - vendor rec.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results