shape
carat
color
clarity

Career in Gemology

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Alastor

Rough_Rock
I am 24 years old and am still struggling to find a vocation suitable to my interests.

I would love to pursue my interest in Gemology and perhaps make a career out of it. I am thinking about taking a one year college course offering a certificate in Gemology from George Brown College. (Toronto)

After this I would like to earn my GG certification from the G.I.A.

Is there any helpful advice anyone can offer? Are there any good jobs out there? I would love to work for GemScan and grade diamonds all day or something like that. I know it''s not an overly ambitious career goal, nor must it pay very well, but it''s something that I would love doing. (Especially since I am horrible at math)

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank You

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Actually, with GIA's distance education you could start on one of several diploma programs now. Much can be learned from your home city, though there are lab courses involved that are hands-on. I don't remember them offered in Toronto, but they are regularly in NY and often in Chicago a couple of times a year. In simple terms of education, you could pursue your AJP which is a collection of several courses (no labs) to familiarize yourself with fundamentals of the jewelry trade.

If you do pursue gemology and decide to use it in this industry I suggest you develop a relationship and counsel/intern with a mentor who has experience in your chosen field. As with any vocation, there are some things not taught in any classes that an experienced guide can help you learn.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
I have thought of doing the same, I find it really facinating. Sometimes I get confused though, I checked into the distance education already mentioned. So I was in Jareds the other day taking some stuff in for cleaning and happened to be looking through the cases just browsing. A woman came over and she asked if I wanted to look at anything and I told her I was just browsing...well long story short since there was no one else in the store she decided to take out a couple settings for me that I had been eyeing. So were sitting there talking and she mentioned that she really liked my ering stone and that she had just gotten engaged, but no ring yet. I congratulated her and we started talking about diamonds. I started talking to her about mine and I could tell she was VERY lost on a few things that I said. I mentioned the HCA and she had NO IDEA. Same with the Ideal scope. She also looked lost when I started talking about my GIA graded stone in comparison to an AGS 000 that I had been looking at. She seemed VERY lost. Then she breaks out with "Well i''m curious to see what ring he will go out and get me considering i''m a certified gemologist. I specialize in diamonds." WTH!??!!!?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Not surprising. The HCA and Ideal-Scope are internet innovations. The GIA coursework is really second to none when it comes to basics and grading apart from cut. She could have discussed blemishes and inclusions with you for days
2.gif
and a ton of information on colored stones & in-lab grading practices.

PS regulars often comment on how much cut information they absorb here beyond what many GGs in pedestrian situations have been exposed to. GIA recently released a cut supplement as part of their 'Diamond Essentials' coursework (GEM130 for the old timers), but its not actually being tested-on yet.

I wonder if GIA will allude to HCA in their eventual complete coursework, as it was a precursor to Facetware.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take the course with the FGA of Canada if you want a good technical background in gemology based on geology. The GIA courses are just fine when taken via correspondence, but far more on an easier level compared to an FGA program. Which course you choose would depend on your scientific interest compared to your business interest. The FGA is more technical and the GIA is more sales oriented.

Get a job in the business. Find a place where they will teach you some things, not just make you punch the clock. Maybe a few places will re-imburse you for your courses, too. The sooner you get into it, the sooner you will make progress. It takes quite a few years to get your feet on the ground in this field.

Alastor

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much everyone.

Also, thanks alot old miner for the FGA reference. I will certainly look into it. The reason why I want to do a course like the FGA before I do the GIA course is that the GIA is so bloody expensive. I want to have some background information before I tackle the GIA course, just to help me along. I''m a bit scared of not being on the campus, but it''s alot cheaper to do the distance education thing.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 12:18:21 PM
Author: devientdrow
I have thought of doing the same, I find it really facinating. Sometimes I get confused though, I checked into the distance education already mentioned. So I was in Jareds the other day taking some stuff in for cleaning and happened to be looking through the cases just browsing. A woman came over and she asked if I wanted to look at anything and I told her I was just browsing...well long story short since there was no one else in the store she decided to take out a couple settings for me that I had been eyeing. So were sitting there talking and she mentioned that she really liked my ering stone and that she had just gotten engaged, but no ring yet. I congratulated her and we started talking about diamonds. I started talking to her about mine and I could tell she was VERY lost on a few things that I said. I mentioned the HCA and she had NO IDEA. Same with the Ideal scope. She also looked lost when I started talking about my GIA graded stone in comparison to an AGS 000 that I had been looking at. She seemed VERY lost. Then she breaks out with ''Well i''m curious to see what ring he will go out and get me considering i''m a certified gemologist. I specialize in diamonds.'' WTH!??!!!?

Only AGS issues the title of Certified Gemologist. It can only be used by a titleholder in an AGS Firm Member store.

To my knowledge Jared''s is not an AGS member store, so the person representing that they are certified should be asked the question : WHO certified you?

Most commonly you''ll get a convoluted answer, as lots of people who are not certified want to impress customers that they have knowledge they really don''t have. Lots of people say they are Certified by GIA. But they aren''t as GIA doesn''t "certify any one or anything". Look in the local phone yellow pages, and see just how many stores claim they have GIA Certified Gemologists. Then check the AGS website to see if that person or store is listed. You''ll probably find that few are.

AGS members usually use the AGS member logo in their phone directory advertisments.

Credential misrepresentation is rampant.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results