shape
carat
color
clarity

Career in diamond buying/purchasing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Just out of curiousity - how do people get into the diamond purchasing business? Do they have to be certified? Have connections? Maybe start as an associate in a store and work their way up the ladder?

I was reading something earlier this week about the GIA and it got me thinking about jewelry businesses and such, more specifically, where they get their diamonds from and the people who are responsible for selling them to retail stores, etc.

Hope that makes sense! Thanks!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irisheyes,
It''s a tough nut to crack so to speak. Most of those that I know are GG, graduate gemologists and that degree takes two years to complete. If you want to get into the business there are many opportunities available other than being a diamond buyer. Hopefully others that are more knowledgeable can offer you some good career advice. Good luck!!!
1.gif

Spear

Rough_Rock
Hi Irisheyes,

Kaleigh is absolutely right.
Being a graduate gemmologists is definitely a minimal requirement for the business, simply to avoid being ripped off by dishonest dealers.
But as you stated, having good contacts is also very important.
A cutting factory’s willingness to do business with you, is in exact relationship with the reputation of the company that sent you.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can earn a GG diploma with in a year or sometimes even less, but the knowledge you get from the gg courses is only theoreticall, and thats considered only the scratch of the tip of the ice-berg in this business, the rest comes with many years of practise.

You dont becoma a diamond buyer once you earn your GG diploma...

murray93

Rough_Rock
and sometimes even mothers and aunts!
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results