shape
carat
color
clarity

Career crisis! Mid 20''s and very lost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Yes, good advice Vespergirl, thank you. It must be harder to return to studying after a long absence too. The application deadlines for the masters programmes I''m looking at are in June. I will definitely have decided by then, and will be starting in September.
Author:NewEnglandLady
it was very common for D to get up 5 a.m., study for a couple of hours before work, then work from 8 - 8, then study from around 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. For months. And the exams were every six months, so he''d only get a month or two off between exams.
23.gif
Eeeeeek!! How are there any actuaries at all?? Phew...
That''s wonderful to hear about women in actuary. I''ve been looking up as much as I can about the daily life of it, and it does sound incredibly interesting to me. Family members are busy asking friends and neighbours whose children are in that field to talk to me. Hopefully I''ll get a solid idea of what it would really be like, and hopefully I can wangle some work experience from someone.
I guess at age 25, I could expect to have the exams done by my mid thirties. It seems manageable now, but I''m looking at it from a responsibility-free perspective! That said, there are pros and cons to everything. It would be difficult to manage babies and a business career too. I suppose it''s all a matter of who you work for, how you manage your time, what kind of support you have.
Thank you so much for all your advice. I''ll keep you updated!

AmberGretchen that does sound interesting. There was a thread about management consulting recently I think? I''ll go study up
34.gif
. I guess the way to enter that career is with an MBA right? Thanks!

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
Porridge- You sound just like me.

I will be 24 next month and I feel like I am sort of in the same shoes as you. I did pretty well in school, graduated Valedictorian of over 200 some kids. I did project after project from being a Top 40 radio DJ to being a drummer. I played piano, danced, sang, played soccer, and worked in a nursery. You name it, I did it.. because I wanted to, not because anyone made me. I had good grades in college and did very well at my major (graphic design/communication art). When I graduated, I immediately took a well-paying high-ranked corporate job. I actually moved to another state literally like an hour after my college graduation. Fiance moved with me, specifically FOR my job. Safe to say it was a pretty big day for me.

Anyway, I was given the title of Senior Graphic Artist within three months of my being at my new job. Unfortunately, I was absolutely MISERABLE. I am, by nature, a very free-spirited person. I need to have inspiration in order to come up with new ideas. I was stuck in this FREEZING, tiny little office expected to churn out new creative ideas like a machine. I really couldn't stand it.

Against the opinions of so many, I left the job after 9 months, moved back to my college town to do design for a photojournalist and his company here. I have been here 5 months now and I absolutely LOVE my job. My boss lets me work wherever and WHENever I want to as long as I meet my deadlines. Some days I work two hours, some I work 14. I feel so creative all the time. I am so glad I didn't listen to everyone else's opinions of what I should and should not do with MY own life.

The only problem with my new job is that I took a pay-cut. I would much rather have less money doing something I love than have more money doing something I hate, however there are times where I'm worried that I'll never be able to afford nice things down the road. Fiance is going back to school for his second degree so I've got a couple more years here to decide what I want to do.

As a society, I think it's easy for people to put pressure on us to get involved early-on in a career, establish retirement, and the works. Although, I believe that is good advice, for some of us it is just not realistic. There are so many more different options for people, especially women, nowadays that women generations ago didn't have. I personally don't think I would EVER be happy truly settling into a career without first trying out a few options. That's not to say that you should switch from job to job on a monthly basis or anything, just give yourself some options and don't be scared to explore them.
3.gif
Best of luck!

ETA: Sorry, I just saw the date of your OP.. seems I'm responding a little late!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ArtistJess. That was calming advice to read
1.gif
I don''t know why I got so anxious, it''s not like me to stress out. I suppose if you''re good in school, you kind of move along expecting a good career to naturally happen. Then suddenly you''re 25 and you''re wondering how the h€ll you got it all so wrong!

I think the advice to get out there and try various things is the best, and I''m very lucky to be in a position where I''m able to do so. And luckily I''ve time to research it all to death. I don''t want to mess around for long. I have big plans for myself
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results