shape
carat
color
clarity

Cardinals

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a lot of them in our backyard but I usually only see one or two even though I hear many more. Almost always spot a female more often than a male and usually in the morning when I first take the dogs out.

Superstition says that cardinals are deceased loved ones who come to visit us. I've lost both my parents already so I'd like to think this is true. It's a nice, comforting thought that they are still nearby. I also had my mourning dove pair that seemed to come at a very turbulent time this year and since things have gotten significantly better, I haven't seen them. Makes me think they were there as a comforting presence.

Do you have a certain bird species in your backyard?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of cardinals (I think it is just one pair but not really sure). They seem so sweet because they always come together
and the male sort of acts as a look out why the female eats. They are very talkative and chirp constantly whenever they are
around.

I also get bluejays. Very noisy! Fly in like a bull, birdfeeder goes swinging...they hold on like it's no big deal then take off in
a hurry like they are offended my bird feeder doesnt have the seed they like???

But...mostly I have tree pigs, non-flying birds that only take the seeds they want and knock all the other seeds off onto the ground.
They can clear out a birdfeeder in no time flat. Do you have any of these?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue jays are such bullies, we used to have a bunch of them years ago when we had a condo with a wooded area behind it.

Tree pigs lol! I've never heard them referred to that way before. The tree rats are out in full force here and last year I actually cut a hole in one of our pumpkins after Halloween and let them go to town digging out the seeds. At least then they don't go to waste.

It's so cute that you have a pair though.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cardinal is our state bird. There are a TON of deceased spirits in Indiana! :bigsmile:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1474560556|4079592 said:
The cardinal is our state bird. There are a TON of deceased spirits in Indiana! :bigsmile:

Monarch, you are a total trip :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how hauntingly beautiful! :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually pick through the pumpkin seeds and bake them then throw them out when no one eats them. Maybe this year I'll set all
the pumpkin guts in a bowl and let my tree pigs have at it. That sounds like it could be a real mess to watch. I'm easily entertained ;-) !

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1474561730|4079603 said:

Monarch, you are a total trip :lol:

Girrrl, you have no idea. :naughty:

It is a really nice thought that birds could contain the spirits of deceased loved ones. Birds are really symbolic in literature, etc. so I think it stands to reason that they might represent those who have passed. It is helpful to find comfort in such superstitions sometimes, whether you fully believe in them or not. I enjoyed reading your story.

PintoBean! You devil.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Cardinals are territorial birds, that's why you only see 2 in your yard. They will chase other cardinals of their turf.

We get pileated woodpeckers that are huge!!! They are also noisy squawkers and sometimes they use our metal chimney cap to signal each other. BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Usually early in the morning. Real early. :sick:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results