shape
carat
color
clarity

carat weight and size "appearance"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mbp

Rough_Rock
I have heard from several friends that have bought loose diamonds that a smaller carat weight can actually appear larger depending on how a diamond is cut.

I am looking at ideal cut round diamonds. Do all ideal cuts look true to their size? Are there any hints I should know about what optimal dimensions of a round diamond make it look the largest regardless of carat weight?

I am trying to educate myself as much as possible and not fall into size trap based on weight not appearance.

i appreciate any advice!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Mbp, welcome to the forum.

----------------
I have heard from several friends that have bought loose diamonds that a smaller carat weight can actually appear larger depending on how a diamond is cut.
----------------

It is true and applies for any diamond not only small.

Spready (shallower) diamonds have larger diameter than deep cut diamonds.

Ideal cut diamonds have good combination of its appearance and spread. But there are different combinations of crown and pavilion angles that produces nice diamonds so some ideal cut diamonds might have smaller diameter than others.

which takes spread into account.[/u][/u][/u]

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that is true, a larger diamond can appear smaller if it is cut poorly. For example, if it is cut too deep, much of the carat weight will be concentrated on the bottom portion of the diamond, which is not what people typically look at. This can also cause the diamond to look dull, not as sparkley as a well cut diamond. For specific guidelines, you can check out the tutorial on this site.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Slmulkey, less than 10 second difference in posting :)

mbp

Rough_Rock
thanks for teh response. I am going to go through the tutorial.

How do I know the crown and pavillion numbers? Are they listed on all certificates? Is this something I nned to ask the person at blue nile?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
If it is AGS graded stone, you'll find crown and pavilion in the grading report.

You can just post here the carat weight, proportions and measurements and certificate. It'd be easy to tell whether the spread is ok.

Btw, Blue Nile have Sarin machine in house, you can ask them to measure it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results