shape
carat
color
clarity

Carat weight advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icyhot

Rough_Rock
Long time reader, first time poster. I''ve been lurking around on the forums for the past two months incognito but have finally created an account...the first step towards purchasing a diamond I guess
emwink.gif

My question is this...My girlfriend''s ring size is 7. I am curious what size rock would fit her well with a size 7 ring. She is still in school currently to become a registered nurse, so she will have a somewhat active lifestyle. In addition to ring size, which metal would you recommend? I know she loves platinum (who doesn''t
emotion-40.gif
), but she also like white gold. I''ve read all the advantages and disadvantages of both but if I go for platinum, I will need to counterbalance that with a different diamond.

So what do most women prefer...a better rock with a nice ring, or a beautiful ring with a decent rock?

Sorry, I guess there were a few questions there...any help is appreciated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so personal. For me, a better rock and simpler setting. Settings can come and go (especially with upgrades) but nothing beats a well cut diamond.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree it''s very personal. Most women aren''t your girlfriend so I''d try my best to find out what''s most important to her. That said, I think most of the budget should be used towards the diamond and then you can possibly have it reset into a different setting when finances allow. most of the nurses here have said they don''t wear their rings to work b/c the diamonds get snagged on gloves and such. she might just opt for a plain wedding band to wear when she''s working.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have any idea of what "style" ring she likes? Does she like modern designs, antique look, sidestones, three-stone, etc? I would get at least somewhat of an idea before buying. If you want it to be a surprise, I''d max your money out on the stone and get a cheap $200 WG setting (since she likes white metals) and let her pick her own setting later on if she wants a different look than a simple setting.

icyhot

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the advice. My thoughts were the same...get a better rock and upgrade later as finances allow. I know she wants a solitaire and a simple setting. I have also seen her browse a lot of rings with cathedral settings. I have pasted a few links below to rings...if you wouldn't mind, let me know what you think.

http://wedding.weddingchannel.com/jewelry/search_results.asp?type=jewelry_engagement_rings&ID=302274226&block=no&v=20

http://wedding.weddingchannel.com/jewelry/search_results.asp?type=jewelry_engagement_rings&ID=302206660&block=no&v=20

Thanks again for the help!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My uncle''s plat wedding band (he''s a physician) looks horrrible.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
I agree--I have a friend who is a dentist and chose a knockout eternity ring as her e-ring so she could wear gloves easily. Any possibility your g-friend might like one? You can get a beauty at a really great price compared to many traditional e-rings.....just a thought....

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
What about a low set bezel? (Metal circling all around the diamond, set flush with the band.)

Nurseynurse

Rough_Rock
I''m a registered nurse and I think you should give her the biggest rock you can afford in a simple platinum setting. I don''t like to wear rings at all while at work because I think of the nasty things that can be proliferating there
7.gif

icyhot

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 11:54:20 AM
Author: justjulia
What about a low set bezel? (Metal circling all around the diamond, set flush with the band.)
Julia, unfortunately she is not a fan of bezel. She likes the diamond to stick out from the ring which in her soon-to-be line of work may not be the best as nurseynurse has stated. There tends to be a lot of germs floating around dem hospitals.

Thanks for all the advice! It is greatly appreciated
36.gif

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
I''m in dental school and constantly putting my hand in mouths (not to gross anyone out
2.gif
) and I have no problem with my ring, which is low set but still sticks out... Its a RB with pear sides. I wear gloves constantly so I figure if the ring fits under the gloves, what is the problem? I would advise that you get a low set ring so it can fit under gloves.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d take her window shopping to see what she gravitates towards. This is too big a purchase not to have her input, IMO.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a registered nurse, too. One important thing to consider is the that frequent hand washing (a must for a nurse!) may wear off the rhodium plating on white gold.
32.gif

Platinum might be better choice for her occupation.

delighted

Rough_Rock
Icyhot! Congrats and how exciting! Isn''t this place great...so much knowledge and great advice!

I can totally identify with this...I''m a helicopter pilot in the Army who just happens to LOVE big diamond rings!! I have a passion..my husband calls it an obsession! HA!

Although I wear gloves when I preflight and fly, I don''t dare wear my ering. There''s just too much grease, dirt, fuel and metal-to metal contact to take a chance. But I wanted more than a plain wedding band...so my husband got me a simple, modest eternity ring so that I can still enjoy wearing diamonds at work. They''re teeny but they are wonderful!!

I have a simple .83 ct solitaire in a tiffany-style setting. Every couple of years, my husband gives me a wrap as an anniversary present. It''s kind of neat..I can change the look of my e-ring. We are currently getting a bigger stone for our 10th anniv. (i''m a newbie and i don''t know how to link my thread).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results