shape
carat
color
clarity

carat size vs finger size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shimberg

Rough_Rock
Hello,
Can someone tell me if they think a 1.12 carat round brilliant tiffany setting will look too small on a size 4 finger?
Thanks!

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
will be huge - check out this chart (thanks Lorelei)
2.gif

table_sizer.jpg

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone has different views on diamond to finger size but to answer your question no I don''t think that it would look too small.
And welcome to Pricescope!

35.gif

Mrs.2Artists

shimberg

Rough_Rock
I don''t really understand this chart, but thank you.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
The chart shows what percentage of the finger will be taken up by the diamond. This percentage is determined by the size of finger and the size of diamond. That is what the chart shows. It is a chart so you can look up the finger size in this case 4 and see how much of the finger a 1.12 round will take up.

Mrs.2Artists

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
If you look at the top, those are finger sizes. you should focus on the column with the 4 at the top.

then working your way down, you can see the finger coverage based on carat size on the left side of the table. you fall in between the 1 and 1.25 carat sizes so you can get a sense of what % of the finger will be covered.

There are also many threads showing 1 carat stones on fngers so you can see for yourself.

shimberg

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much. makes perfect sense! A couple months ago went wiith my bf to look at ringds & there was the following rings:

J color
SI2
Ideal Cut
GIA

or

F color
SI2
Ideal cut
GIA

I told him I probably would preer the 1.12...ya think this was the wrong decision?

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2008 2:49:19 PM
Author: shimberg
Thanks so much. makes perfect sense! A couple months ago went wiith my bf to look at ringds & there was the following rings:

J color
SI2
Ideal Cut
GIA

or

F color
SI2
Ideal cut
GIA

I told him I probably would preer the 1.12...ya think this was the wrong decision?
If both are ideal cut, I would probably go with the F color vs the J rather than go down in color that much for only 8 points. So i think you made a good choice in my opinion

shimberg

Rough_Rock
good~I started re-thinking but was concerned with a J color & it having a yellow tint. Although I would prefer platinum I believe white gold was more in the budget for him--do you know how mnay times you have to get the white gold dipped?

Thanks~

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2008 3:22:32 PM
good~I started re-thinking but was concerned with a J color & it having a yellow tint. Although I would prefer platinum I believe white gold was more in the budget for him--do you know how mnay times you have to get the white gold dipped?

Thanks~

According to what I've read in a few posts, most people get their white gold rings replated w/ rhodium approx every 1-2 yrs.

And by the way, on a size 4 finger a 1.12 carat stone will look just fine, and if anything too big rather than too small so don't worry about that lol

And I agree that I'd prefer an F color over a J color with a white gold or platinum setting. But if cost is an issue, you could probably go down to H color with no problem and save quite a bit.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
it depends on how your baody reacts to the white gold. i know some people that turn it almost right away and i also know some others that have never had a problem or had it redipped.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I bet it will look beautiful!

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.12 stone on a size 4 finger. You can search my posts for tons of pics. It looks huge to me, and a lot of people think it is wayyyyy bigger than it is.
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

Sabina

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a great size to me!

But be careful though, GIA do not have a cut grade of Ideal, the vendor has assigned that term and may not be as ideal as you were hoping. Can you post more numbers, ie, crown and pavillion angles etc and we can check it out (an IS image would be fantastic too!). I would prefer the F colour over J personally, and I don''t think you will notice that much of a size difference between those stones.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most welcome SS, that is a groovy chart isn''t it??
9.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think your diamond will look plenty big on your small fingers. Good Luck!!
36.gif

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 5:35:58 AM
Author: Lorelei
Most welcome SS, that is a groovy chart isn''t it??
9.gif
great chart!
1.gif

HariSeldon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2008 1:27:42 PM
Author: stone_seeker
will be huge - check out this chart (thanks Lorelei)
2.gif
anyone know how the %''s on this chart were calculated? I tried to duplicate the chart using areas (so I could see what % a 0.83ct on a 5 would be) and got substantially lower percentages for all of them.

shimberg

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all your replys--very helpful. First time on this site. I don;t have any pics because we just went a couple times & then it''s up to him! So, we''ll see!
Any thoughts on GIA vs EGL? I know alot of the EGLS were less expensive than GIA but I wasn''t sure how if that was that important.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it will be perfect!

shimberg

Rough_Rock
vespergirl-is that your ring? If so, beautiful!!! Do you mind if i ask the carat size?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/3/2008 10:07:23 AM

Any thoughts on GIA vs EGL? I know alot of the EGLS were less expensive than GIA but I wasn''t sure how if that was that important.
Honey brought up a good point, above.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results