• Range Rover Evoque

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Range Rover Discovery Sport

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr T has taken me by surprise this week BIG TIME. We are not frivolous people, but have a comfortable home & nice things, holidays etc. I have always driven Jeeps, but 18 months ago my beautiful workhorse Cherokee needed major work to the tune of £2.5k due to a split air intake system. I had to part exchange quickly as it wasn't safe to drive over 30mph, plus was a few years old so not worth repairing as I was due a car change. I bought a Nissan Qashqai for a bit of variety. It was new & lovely, but not very me. I haven't grumbled about it, but Mr T knows it's not really my thing & that where we live (very rural, muddy lanes, snowy tracks in the winter) requires something with a bit more torque come the cold & wet season. I muddled on with my Nissan last winter, but it wasn't holding the road very well on occasion & made me twitchy. When my youngest was 8 months old, we skidded out on black ice here on the lane, spun 360 & crashed into a telegraph pole. I tore the muscle in my shoulder trying to control the car on impact, baby was fine if crying, and the Jeep lost it's front number plate. That was it. Not a scratch. Garage said that's what a Jeep is for. But being in the UK, we found the Jeeps very costly to maintain, so I am trying to steer clear of another one.

Fast forward to this week & Mr T asked if I would like to go car shopping. Wait, what??! We have been lucky in that we have no debt for anything or mortgage on our home, so he decided we should live a little & get two new cars WITHOUT ACTUALLY NEEDING THEM. I almost fainted!

Today it's test drive day for me after lots of looking yesterday & I think I have narrowed my choices down to a Range Rover Evoque Dynamic, or a Discovery Sport. Style wise I like them both, though the Discovery has more practical boot space & easier rear view through the back window. But the Evoque is sexy AF.

Do you own either & what are your thoughts, pro's, con's etc? This is exciting for me & I don't want to get it wrong, as it's a lot of money from our pot & I will be keeping this car for a fair few years to come.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disco Sport for me, as I really like the big round lights at the back as well as the curvy lines of the back end.

Not keen on back of the Evoque, sorry!

When I was looking to get a new a car just over 2 years ago, I considered the Disco Sport. However, by the time I added all the extras, it would cost more than 10k GBP over my spec'ed up MINI Countryman D 2.0 Auto ALL4, so I decided against it.

DK :))

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I currently am also looking at a newer SUV, I currently have a Lexus and I love my Lexus and have been looking at them for the most part...but the only other SUV that is on my radar is the 2 you have ask about...so I will be interested to see what people have to say..I have never driven a range rover but they very pleasing to the eye....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my other half has been a big 4x4 enthusiast all his adult life
only once have we not owned a capable 4x4 and durring that time we felt really vulnerable should there be an earthquake
we have had Isuzus, Chevys, Holdens, Nissans, Suzuki and Jeeps
sometimes its a case of horse's for courses and they had to play in the mud but also be a builder's truck or the commute
sometimes just a toy that got put through their paces in 4x4 compitions
my other half is quite talented in that respect and on a shoe string budget with his mechanical DIY skills we did really well in club compitions

i really miss our Wrangler (Daisy)
she was so much fun
but its an expensive hobby and eventually we had to prioritize.
parts don't come cheap when everything has to be imported and stuff gets broken out on the tracks and trails
its too bad Jeep is now part of Fiet

how ever we are a General motors /Jeep kind of family, we would never own a Ford or a Land Rover in a million years because they don't have a reliable history and we have two mechanics in the family who back this up

we do however have a Lexus car and its very nice
just my completly worthless 2 cents

enjoy all the test drives ;)2

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hiw exciting for you!!!!

I'm no expert, but one of my best friends bought an evoque 4years ago, because she thought it looked so great and would transition well between city and countryside driving. For her it turned out that the real 4x4 skills weren't enough. She sold it at a huge loss after a few months. It was the muddy roads to visit her horse and the driving in snow that weren't satisfactory for her on the German coast (so similar to UK weather). Maybe your situation is different, or they have upgraded everything since, but the name evoque has kind of a negative connotation now. I hope your dealership offers you the opportunity to test in real life mud conditions!

Have fun!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a look through the Pistonheads forum for LR info - it is ultra-cynical, full of pedants and a totally negative PITA sometimes :lol: but the consensus on there seems to be that you don't buy a LR for reliability! lol

The Evoque is the smaller one, isn't it? They look pretty good and are quite compact for a 4x4. The Disco is a more classic LR (IMHO) but they do weigh as much as the moon... so have a look at 'Fuelly' (IIRC) for real-world reporting on what sort of MPG you might get.

They have also just launched the new Defender - I'm not sure it will be as iconic as the original workhorse defender (I doubt any owners will be hosing out the inside :lol: ) but as a styling exercise alone, it is pretty awesome IMO :) and it should be excellent when the going gets tough if it is like all the other models:
https://www.landrover.co.uk/vehicles/defender/index.html

If you do definitely want to buy new, you can lose hours in the configurators online :D lol
https://www.landrover.co.uk/build-your-own/index.html

(The Velar and the Disco are not pretty from all angles, though... and they look silly on the non-optioned tiny wheels! lol)

But FWIW I would say definitely look at pre-owned or even pre-registered if you want 'new' - LRs take a massive(!!) hit of depreciation from new...

Looking at the prices on the configurator for the ones you've mentioned and assuming you'd add at least a couple of options, that gives about £35k budget?

On that basis you might even be able to get into a 'proper' Range Rover or Range Rover Sport with the budget you'd need for a 'New' LR!

https://used.landrover.co.uk/

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=year-desc&radius=1500&postcode=w1a1aa&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=LAND ROVER&model=RANGE ROVER&price-to=35000&year-from=2016

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=year-desc&radius=1500&postcode=w1a1aa&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=LAND ROVER&model=RANGE ROVER SPORT&price-to=35000&year-from=2016

If you do go down the Used route, it could be worth looking into independent warranty providers, 'just in case'... lol

One other option if you want a 'proper' 4x4 is the new Suzuki Jimny:

https://cars.suzuki.co.uk/new-cars/jimny/

It's not very 'lifestyle' (if you need to impress yummy mummies down the yoga club :razz: lol) and it will surely be less relaxing to drive than the drawing room on wheels that is a leather-lined LR/RR, but it has been widely acclaimed by journalists and 4x4-types as being excellent and a cool spiritual successor to the original. As such, they are in high demand now and I'm pretty sure that limited supply + great reputation + good off-road ability + strong fanbase = strong residuals. Don't forget - it was a Suzuki that James May drove across the Amazon! :D

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hiw exciting for you!!!!

I'm no expert, but one of my best friends bought an evoque 4years ago, because she thought it looked so great and would transition well between city and countryside driving. For her it turned out that the real 4x4 skills weren't enough. She sold it at a huge loss after a few months. It was the muddy roads to visit her horse and the driving in snow that weren't satisfactory for her on the German coast (so similar to UK weather). Maybe your situation is different, or they have upgraded everything since, but the name evoque has kind of a negative connotation now. I hope your dealership offers you the opportunity to test in real life mud conditions!

Have fun!!
I think there are a lot of variables here that must be considered!

Was it the two-wheel drive variant?
Did it have winter tyres / 'mud and snow' tyres on it?
Was there any potential element of 'user error'? :razz: lol

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a look through the Pistonheads forum for LR info - it is ultra-cynical, full of pedants and a totally negative PITA sometimes :lol: but the consensus on there seems to be that you don't buy a LR for reliability! lol

The Evoque is the smaller one, isn't it? They look pretty good and are quite compact for a 4x4. The Disco is a more classic LR (IMHO) but they do weigh as much as the moon... so have a look at 'Fuelly' (IIRC) for real-world reporting on what sort of MPG you might get.

They have also just launched the new Defender - I'm not sure it will be as iconic as the original workhorse defender (I doubt any owners will be hosing out the inside :lol: ) but as a styling exercise alone, it is pretty awesome IMO :) and it should be excellent when the going gets tough if it is like all the other models:
https://www.landrover.co.uk/vehicles/defender/index.html

If you do definitely want to buy new, you can lose hours in the configurators online :D lol
https://www.landrover.co.uk/build-your-own/index.html

(The Velar and the Disco are not pretty from all angles, though... and they look silly on the non-optioned tiny wheels! lol)

But FWIW I would say definitely look at pre-owned or even pre-registered if you want 'new' - LRs take a massive(!!) hit of depreciation from new...

Looking at the prices on the configurator for the ones you've mentioned and assuming you'd add at least a couple of options, that gives about £35k budget?

On that basis you might even be able to get into a 'proper' Range Rover or Range Rover Sport with the budget you'd need for a 'New' LR!

https://used.landrover.co.uk/

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=year-desc&radius=1500&postcode=w1a1aa&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=LAND ROVER&model=RANGE ROVER&price-to=35000&year-from=2016

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=year-desc&radius=1500&postcode=w1a1aa&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=LAND ROVER&model=RANGE ROVER SPORT&price-to=35000&year-from=2016

If you do go down the Used route, it could be worth looking into independent warranty providers, 'just in case'... lol

One other option if you want a 'proper' 4x4 is the new Suzuki Jimny:

https://cars.suzuki.co.uk/new-cars/jimny/

It's not very 'lifestyle' (if you need to impress yummy mummies down the yoga club :razz: lol) and it will surely be less relaxing to drive than the drawing room on wheels that is a leather-lined LR/RR, but it has been widely acclaimed by journalists and 4x4-types as being excellent and a cool spiritual successor to the original. As such, they are in high demand now and I'm pretty sure that limited supply + great reputation + good off-road ability + strong fanbase = strong residuals. Don't forget - it was a Suzuki that James May drove across the Amazon! :D

Wow! You are like The Oracle!! This is so much information & brilliant for me, as generally I can't be ars@d to read about things :lol: We are not buying new, though are buying reputable used from LR. The ones I test drove handled fabulously & smooth despite it being like a monsoon out there - I loved them all. Yesterday I settled on a 2 year old Evoque as that was the top of my budget (gulp!). It's a Dynamix LUX 4x4 with ALLLLLL the extras & i am surprisingly excited!

I really wanted something practical to get me down the lanes, but with a bit of sexy & oomph. This one is automatic with 9 gears (couldn't hear or feel them change whilst driving) & a Sport Mode for when I'm feeling young & reckless. I don't really care about the Yummy Mummy Brigade (clearly, as I've always had manly, meaty Jeeps) but when our children first started school we were all a lot poorer & a Qashqai was normal school uniform, but the years have been kind & there has definitely been significant upgrade there! So if I'm totally honest with my 'friends' on my iPad as opposed to in the flesh, it did bother me a bit that the Qashqai was very low rent when I could have better. But it put me on for 18 months & has been a great car. I won't however, be sorry to see it go!

I have never spent more than £20k on a car since having a family. I have had workhorses with strong bodies & big boots. When we saw the one I've bought, my oldest said "ooh, that boot is a bit small?" To which I pointed out that this is a new phase for me, where my car buying is not based on prams & travel cots!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this car will be kind to me. The only negatives I can find generally, is the limited rear view, which i am assured i will adjust to, and the diesel particulate filters on the 2017 models being a bit dodgy. This one is 2018 & so far, no reall reports for any issues. Fingers crossed it will be a good runner & not provide too many headaches, as one particular Jeep I had spent more time at Jeep than it did on my driveway & cost me a fortune!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had 2 Discoveries in the past, first one had a leaky transfer gear box, the second one was fine.

Check out the cost of servicing, tyres (which the LR people told me only last about 10,000 miles, although I got more out of mine), and MPG - not much!

If money’s no object, they’re great cars, but they’re really expensive to run.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had 2 Discoveries in the past, first one had a leaky transfer gear box, the second one was fine.

Check out the cost of servicing, tyres (which the LR people told me only last about 10,000 miles, although I got more out of mine), and MPG - not much!

If money’s no object, they’re great cars, but they’re really expensive to run.

Thank you! The MPG on this model is really good & on a par with the Qashqai, so we'll see what happens. Did you sack off LR altogether after the Discovery's, or have you gone with a different model? I really like the previous Discovery to the new one, the big huge box one.

I only do about 8,000 miles a year, give or take. Whatever car I buy cannot go through more tyres than the Jeep's. They were unreal due to being so heavy. I used to have to change them around every 9 months, not including the endless punctures as any remotely sharp object would go through, again due to the weight. I honestly have never spent as much money maintaining a car as I did that Jeep. Mr T used to call it The Money Pit. Do you remember that movie, with Tom Hanks & Shelly Long?! :lol:

Fingers crossed this is going to be a good car. I usually have a knack for going with my gut, so I'm praying that the Car Gods are gentle with me!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved that film @Alex T :lol:

We didn’t have another after the second one, we had a people carrier after that, and various cars since. I’m on my second Sportage now, we don’t need such a big car these days.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am keeping my fingers crossed that this car will be kind to me. The only negatives I can find generally, is the limited rear view, which i am assured i will adjust to

Exciting - I agree, the Evoque is definitely a sexy looking car! We have a car with a restricted rear view (similar size and shape to the Evoque rear window) and you do adjust remarkably quickly. With all the rear view cameras and sensors cars have nowadays, you only really need enough rear vision to give you a general awareness of what’s around and behind you and I’ve never had a problem.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting - I agree, the Evoque is definitely a sexy looking car! We have a car with a restricted rear view (similar size and shape to the Evoque rear window) and you do adjust remarkably quickly. With all the rear view cameras and sensors cars have nowadays, you only really need enough rear vision to give you a general awareness of what’s around and behind you and I’ve never had a problem.

Thank you, lovely!! The restricted rear view has been making me twitchy, so your comment is perfect timing! I have adjusted well from the huge Jeep rear view to the far smaller Qashqai, but the Evoque takes it down another notch. I have been quietly stressy about it, but then I see so many Evoques on the road that I figured it cannot be that bad. I keep checking out rear bumpers for scratches in car parks, but there are all gleaming & fine, so I think you are spot on: the camera system makes reversing absolutely ok. And to be honest, I only look at my camera screen now when reversing once I've had a glance around before I start, so I guess it will be exactly the same.

Thanks again - I shall relax a bit now & look forward to collection on Monday!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting, I hope it is as good as you would like it to be! :)

Does it come with a warranty? (That you can extend?)

The DPF issues can be avoided/mitigated on most vehicles by making sure to give them a good long / fast run pretty regularly, to get the filter up to temperature and burn off the particulates it's captured. If you're just pottering down the shops a few miles away, make sure to do a longer run perhaps twice a month!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting, I hope it is as good as you would like it to be! :)

Does it come with a warranty? (That you can extend?)

The DPF issues can be avoided/mitigated on most vehicles by making sure to give them a good long / fast run pretty regularly, to get the filter up to temperature and burn off the particulates it's captured. If you're just pottering down the shops a few miles away, make sure to do a longer run perhaps twice a month!

I was told this by the sales rep & it was a good job really, as I only do motorway journeys probably once every 2 or 3 months, and even then it can only be a junction or two down. Mr T said he can just take it to work once a month or something, as he commutes to Liverpool (about 25 miles each way) & give it a good run. Who knew?!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reliability is number one for us when buying any car, and unfotunately, Range Rover has a very poor record in that regard. If I were spending that much money, I'd be looking at the more reliable brands.

Thanks for the info :read:

Thankfully the Evoque doesn't fall into the unreliability bracket, even on the reports you've linked - that seems to be the Range Rover Sport & the Discovery Sport. Also with the Evoque, there are certain issues reported depending on your model & the model we have gone with seems to be an all round good, solid, reliable car both in town & off road. Trust me, Mr T has done a LOT of reading up & asking around. His wallet has moth colonies in there. It's a very big (but very generous) thing for him to be spending so much on me :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was told this by the sales rep & it was a good job really, as I only do motorway journeys probably once every 2 or 3 months, and even then it can only be a junction or two down. Mr T said he can just take it to work once a month or something, as he commutes to Liverpool (about 25 miles each way) & give it a good run. Who knew?!
I think that as long as he gets it nice and hot, to burn off particulates in the filter, it should be fine!

IIRC some people have said holding a lower gear can increase heat and therefore help, but 25 miles is still a 20+ minute journey at motorway speeds.

I think it's the sustained higher temperatures of a continuous run that is needed, rather than stop-start stuff, but I appreciate the traffic and your route type/selection can be outside of your control... lol

I think the DPFs are set to 'regenerate' by electronically heating them up when they determine it needs to be done, even if you're sitting in traffic in the middle of town, lol, so it might well sort itself out, but a preventative maintenance / approach is always good!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that as long as he gets it nice and hot, to burn off particulates in the filter, it should be fine!

IIRC some people have said holding a lower gear can increase heat and therefore help, but 25 miles is still a 20+ minute journey at motorway speeds.

I think it's the sustained higher temperatures of a continuous run that is needed, rather than stop-start stuff, but I appreciate the traffic and your route type/selection can be outside of your control... lol

I think the DPFs are set to 'regenerate' by electronically heating them up when they determine it needs to be done, even if you're sitting in traffic in the middle of town, lol, so it might well sort itself out, but a preventative maintenance / approach is always good!

I think you might be right about them being set to regenerate electronically, as after this thread yesterday I asked around some others I know with the same car, a couple of which are stay at home mothers & rarely do long journeys. Thankfully none of them have had any issues. It does give you an orange warning light though, if a long, fast journey is required to burn it down, which apparently is enough of a prompt to prevent issues. It has a warranty too, which seems pretty comprehensive.

I sorted my tax & insurance yesterday. Monday is almost here!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will be a long weekend... ;-) lol

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I seem to have driven behind countless Evoques today and thought of you - how’s your new ride?!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to have driven behind countless Evoques today and thought of you - how’s your new ride?!

:appl: Thank you! But there's been a delay :shock:

When they were servicing it on Thursday morning - it's not new - it's 2018 - they found one of the rear reverse parking sensors wasn't working. When the technician was removing it, he put a deep scratch in the bumper paint, so now they are getting a new bumper & sensor sorted. They called yesterday to say it should be ready by next Monday, but they'll confirm on Friday. The colour isn't standard (Firenze Red) so it's being manufactured. And apparently they are super busy at Land Rover right now.

Gutted because I'm really impatient, but thankful they spotted the sensor issue & that they're dealing with everything as efficiently as they can before I get it, as opposed to me getting it & then finding the problem, sending it back & being left without a car. They are taking my Nissan off me in part ex, so I still have it until we swap over. Otherwise I'd be royally knackered, as there isn't even a bus that runs out to this village.

I shall definitely let you know when I've had it for a couple of days what it's like!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh no! Although it’s definitely less annoying than if you’d noticed after taking receipt!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: Thank you! But there's been a delay :shock:

When they were servicing it on Thursday morning - it's not new - it's 2018 - they found one of the rear reverse parking sensors wasn't working. When the technician was removing it, he put a deep scratch in the bumper paint, so now they are getting a new bumper & sensor sorted. They called yesterday to say it should be ready by next Monday, but they'll confirm on Friday. The colour isn't standard (Firenze Red) so it's being manufactured. And apparently they are super busy at Land Rover right now.

Gutted because I'm really impatient, but thankful they spotted the sensor issue & that they're dealing with everything as efficiently as they can before I get it, as opposed to me getting it & then finding the problem, sending it back & being left without a car. They are taking my Nissan off me in part ex, so I still have it until we swap over. Otherwise I'd be royally knackered, as there isn't even a bus that runs out to this village.

I shall definitely let you know when I've had it for a couple of days what it's like!

Bugger.

Make sure you check the repair out thoroughly in terms of consistency with the original paint - red can be a total PITA to match correctly with older (therefore UV-aged to a greater or lesser degree) paint, and under sodium streetlights especially, can look obviously different!

It's not really that old at all, and the UK is hardly sunny :lol: so you should be fine, but do check it out in a variety of lights as soon as you can, so you can let them know ASAP if there are any issues! (It could be worth telling them you will do this.)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bugger.

Make sure you check the repair out thoroughly in terms of consistency with the original paint - red can be a total PITA to match correctly with older (therefore UV-aged to a greater or lesser degree) paint, and under sodium streetlights especially, can look obviously different!

It's not really that old at all, and the UK is hardly sunny :lol: so you should be fine, but do check it out in a variety of lights as soon as you can, so you can let them know ASAP if there are any issues! (It could be worth telling them you will do this.)

Yes Sir! I never even thought of this, but will let them know & will investigate in different lighting as soon as I collect it. I'm sure it'll be fine, as like you say it's not very old & also, it's actually LR doing the job rather than a random body shop. Fingers crossed!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Too late to this thread to be helpful unfortunately but I was an evoque driver, lovely car and no problems at all. Hope it all gets sorted for you soon Alex

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too late to this thread to be helpful unfortunately but I was an evoque driver, lovely car and no problems at all. Hope it all gets sorted for you soon Alex

It's so lovely to hear something positive - thank you so much!

Lots of people have experiences & stories but so far, in my every day real life, I have tales of doom & gloom but funnily enough, none of them relate to the Evoque, just the Range Rover Sport. I have no idea why people feel the need to share & make me panic that I've just forked out for a rotten egg?! One of my neighbours has just had the turbo replaced on her 3 year old RR Sport for £5k. Another neighbour has had 2 RR Sports & had so many issues she now has a Porsche Cayenne & would never drive RR again. But in the next breath she's telling me her 2 BFF's both have Evoques, have had no problems & love them. So why share the misery of the RR Sport?! :lol:

I am throwing my guts to the wind with this one & what will be, will be. I have driven some rotters in my time - I'm due a good, solid dependable car. Fingers crossed!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can have bad luck with any car! I also had a Range Rover supercharged no problems there either but I preferred the evoque. It handles more like a normal car and was less overtly flashy which suited me.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had 3 RR Sports. I had problems with the first until they fixed it, and I drove it for 9 years. The Evoque had too small a rear window for me to be comfortable, but I did like the Velar and probably should have gotten that over the Sport. The Sport has gotten larger, which I dont like.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had 3 RR Sports. I had problems with the first until they fixed it, and I drove it for 9 years. The Evoque had too small a rear window for me to be comfortable, but I did like the Velar and probably should have gotten that over the Sport. The Sport has gotten larger, which I dont like.

I absolutely LOVE the Velar :kiss2: It's definitely my 'one day when money is no object' dream car. The Office Admin at the school where I work has one, so I've been able to have a mooch around hers. Dreamy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results