shape
carat
color
clarity

Car Shopping - Cadillac SRX vs. Lexus RX350 vs. Volvo XC90???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
I've been driving Volvos for 16+ years (since my oldest child was born), and can probably say that I've driven every Volvo model from the boxy 240 up to and including the latest Volvo SUV (the XC90) which I've had since 2003.

Long story short: My oldest son (age 16 1/2) is a great kid, A+ student, very clean-cut and focused with nice friends, etc. Next week, he takes his road test. We want him to drive a nice safe car - - we've seen all too often the tragedies that can occur when teenagers drive unsafe vehicles that don't perform well in crash tests.

Coincidentally, the lease on my Volvo XC90 is up soon. I LOVE my XC90, but (due to my frequent treks back and forth to visit my daughter in boarding school in Massachusetts), the car now has more than 70K miles on it. Soooo ... instead of turning the XC90 back in at the end of the lease and paying big-time for the excess mileage, my husband and I are thinking of buying the car for my oldest son at the end of the lease-term. If you know anything about Volvos they are extremely safe cars and will last well beyond 70K+ miles ...

ANYWAY ... this afternoon being a quasi-holiday, my husband and I went car-shopping. Since we're intimately familiar with all of the Volvos, we focused on the following other car dealers: Lexus, BMW and Cadillac. (My husband already drives a Cadillac Escalade and for years he's been suggesting that I consider one but up until the '07 models came out recently I've always felt that the Escalade was WAY too big for me ... especially since I'm not even 5' tall on a good day ... but I digress ... )

I test-drove the Lexus RX350 (i.e., the newest model - - my husband called it a "jellybean"); the Lexus GX470, the BMW X3 (5 speed manual version), and the '07 Cadillac Escalade (which has some great new features including a heated steering wheel, heated washer fluid and heated/air conditioned seats to name a few - - we live in a very cold, snowy climate so these can be important ... ).

The Cadillac dealer was close to closing when I spotted the Cadillac SRX which is Cadillac's cross-over wagon. I'm going back tomorrow a.m. to test-drive the SRX - - which has some of the same nifty features as the Escalade and which I think is better-suited for me size-wise ...

SOooo ... I know many PS'ers drive either or both Lexus SUV models and absolutely love them, but I'm curious whether any of you own or are otherwise familiar with the Cadillac SRX and if so, how it compares to the mid-size SUV's mentioned above.

Here's what's important to me in some semblance of order:

*safety and performance in crash-tests
*handling, maneuverability and gas efficiency
*winter road handling since we live in the snow-capital of the Northeast
*interior must be quiet, and it must have a GREAT sound system, 'cause my performing arts-major daughter and I take a lot of road trips to her school and to NYC, and we love to listen to great music along the way
*ample rear cargo space for those trips back and forth to boarding school, NYC and summer camp with my 3 kids!

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Happy Easter weekend to all who celebrate!

BrownEyes
4.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I just don't like the elongated look of the Caddy SUV.. I also don't like the X3. It looks like a toy car. Not to mention that the body of the X5 has changed for 2007...maybe the X3 also? The X3 also has no room imo.

What did you think of the RX 350?

I have about 3 mo before I have to pick...but I'm either going to be the RX350, the 2006 RX330 (and get an AWESOME deal) or a Mercedes 2006 (although I may change my mind due to tranny issues) or 2007 M class...I'd probably get the 2006 and get a good deal since the 2006 and 2007 body are the same...Have you also seen the Audi SUV? I think I'm likely going to get the Lexus...Let me know what you pick and why!

linh996

Rough_Rock
I purchased a 05 lexus rx330 last september and i love it. besides the way it drives, i love the service department. lol I also looked at the bmw x5 and the benz ml. After some research on the web with known issues and customer complaints I decided to go with the Lexus. I am
29.gif
that I didnt wait for the 350 because it has a little more power, but other than that I love my Rx.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if you are still looking for a car - but, if the luxury name doesn''t mean something to you try the Nissan Murano AW. It''s priced way under 30k, extremely roomy & quiet. I''m sure the leather seat version is more. We prefer the cloth package - holds up better with transporting our dogs & doen''t get hot in the summer time. Gas mileage is pretty good - 25+ average.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That is a good looking car...

Also, just wanted to add that my guy over at lexus emailed me and told me about rate reductions for may and that the RX350 (without navigation) and not much down is $527...not bad at all for that car!

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I am so happy about this thread and can't believe my luck, I too am considering the Lexus RX350, RX330 or BMW X3...And am leaning more towards the Lexus. BTW, I just got a quote for 2007 RX350 with Navigation system, 36 months, 12 K miles, $1500 down for $564 a month. I can forward the link and contact if you like.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
F&I, re that 25+ per gallon: is that city driving, open road, or an average?

movie zombie

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2006 4:07:28 PM
Author: movie zombie
F&I, re that 25+ per gallon: is that city driving, open road, or an average?

movie zombie
So far about average - but most of our miles are on the open road. The decal said city mileage was around 20. It''s quite an efficient car. Good use of space, etc. Standard curtain side airbags. Really good feel for the road. It has that new continuous "transmission" which helps in gas mileage & makes it more quiet. Drives like a car and not a truck. They were more money when they first came out. Production is up and while you can''t get a GREAT deal - you can get invoice. They were charging some dopey premium for a while. And, leasing is out of the question for us b/c of the way high mileage we put on. Also, it says you have to use premium gas. We don''t and don''t know anyone that does.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks, F&I!!!

movie zombie

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Shut up Ivana! That''s awesome...What state are you in...what is the sales tax rate? I''ve just been dealing with a guy online...do you know how much above invoice the car is? / discount off MSRP and MSRP???? Yes, please!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ps I'm not into the X3. It looks like a toy car and definitely a cheaper model than the X5....The X5 is more than I want to pay but I'd rather go to another line than the X3...

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not trying to jangle anyone's chains or anything but, shouldn't people be more concerned with fuel economy? 20-24 mpg is not fuel efficient folks.
Please consider very carefully if you need these large trucks.

Scintillating...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ok. Considering. Yes, I need it. And it's not large! It's a cross-over! We should also be concerned about conflict diamonds too...where is yours from?
41.gif
9.gif
(although that's nothing to
9.gif
about)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2006 4:25:10 PM
Author: Scintillating
I'm not trying to jangle anyone's chains or anything but, shouldn't people be more concerned with fuel economy? 20-24 mpg is not fuel efficient folks.
Please consider very carefully if you need these large trucks.

Scintillating...

see perry's post over in the around the world thread if you haven't seen it already. my chain has been yanked and your point is well taken: the US starts wars and backs dictators for oil, not diamonds [well , we have backed a few of those dictator countries too but we didn't try to take them over by going to war]. thanks for the reminder that everything is political, isn't it?!

movie zombie

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh MZ...I was just being testy...it alsways irritates me when people judge and want to tell ya how to live without knowing you and almost speaking to you like children...but whatever...that's what happens on a board where opinions are asked for so I'm chill..But I also want to add that it's not necessarily the SUV that is only to blame. There are tons of other large and heavy turbo charged gas guzzler cars out there...and how about the amount that you actually drive too...If you are driving 4 mi in a SUV and 25 in a civiv...who neeeds to consider taking public transportation?

And BTW, husband takes the subway, we have one car, and I have bad knees so like the SUV...yes, I have considered if I need it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and its also how we drive....some driving methods [speeding for one] decreases gas mileage.........

its always a tradeoff, isn''t it?!

movie zombie

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
yup!
Movie, saw MI3 today e/t I wasn''t going to go b/c I think Tom is a psycho...but it was really good!!! Great even!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have to admit i didn''t see MI or MII.........it says lots about the movie that you don''t like him and yet you liked it! i''m always amazed when that happens....the script, the actors, the direction, editing, etc. all come together and somehow we get past that mind set. i''ve had it happen to me, also.

movie zombie

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Moremoremore, I live in Hermosa Beach, CA and the person that gave me the quote is:

Michael Schaedel
VIP E Commerce Manager
South Bay Lexus
(310)325-9999 ext.224
(310)539-4962 FAX
[email protected]
www.southbaylexus.com

I agree with you that the X5 is a lot nicer than the X3, but the Lexus is starting to grow on me more that the BMW now.

So the movie is that good, huh? I might go check it out then this week. It''s been getting great reviews, but Tom on the otherhand isn''t, so the box office has been a bit weak so far.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ivana...I'm here in ny though...am dealing with a nice guy online....We shall see..When you say $1500 down...do you mean abour $3500 total out of pocket (taxes, etc) ?

I'm curious as to which browneyes ended up with...

I didn't test drive but sat in the RX350 this weekend...it was in the show room with no keys....so I'm hoping the seat was all the way up top and towards the wheel...it was very cramped for my almost 5'11 frame....

I hesitantly sat in a grand cherokee also...I have had 2 and want a change BUT it was very comfortable and love the way it rides. Not crazy about the body but I would be able to get a deal on my miles (which I am way over)....Fully loaded, the limited (with navigation, etc) was about 38grand whereas the "base" plus premium pkg lexus (which is how they are being stocked) is $43,900.....I'm not sure that even comes with a moon roof. I have to decide this week b/c if I'm not going with the lexus I have to bring my Cherokee in NOW. Ugh.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2006 11:18:25 AM
Author: moremoremore
Oh MZ...I was just being testy...it alsways irritates me when people judge and want to tell ya how to live without knowing you and almost speaking to you like children...but whatever...that''s what happens on a board where opinions are asked for so I''m chill..But I also want to add that it''s not necessarily the SUV that is only to blame. There are tons of other large and heavy turbo charged gas guzzler cars out there...and how about the amount that you actually drive too...If you are driving 4 mi in a SUV and 25 in a civiv...who neeeds to consider taking public transportation?

And BTW, husband takes the subway, we have one car, and I have bad knees so like the SUV...yes, I have considered if I need it.

LOL - AMEN, MMM.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2006 6:27:15 PM
I didn''t test drive but sat in the RX350 this weekend...it was in the show room with no keys....so I''m hoping the seat was all the way up top and towards the wheel...it was very cramped for my almost 5''11 frame....
more
35.gif

you need to get a big HUMMER.
36.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
It''s *so* easy to make a joke here DF!!! LOL....

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i recently saw a stretch hummer limo! now that''s going to give you room to stretch out in!

movie zombie

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...That will be just big enough for me! :)
Well, i am getting a Lexus RX 350!!!! It''s a very good price for the car!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations MMM!!! I know you will love your Lexus.

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
congrats MMM!!!! I know that Lexus has National programs, just make sure you ask them about what kind of programs they are currently promoting? what their current push car is that they get rebates and kickbacks for. my husband just bought a Mercedes on Thursday and was able to to get a higher grade car for less money than another dealer was trying to push a lower model on...with more miles too because Mercedes was has promotions every month for different cars.

what color are you looking at? Can't wait to see pics!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Although I just got back from the dealership...I'm excited...but can't help feel like husband undercut me when I was negotiating the price and I'm not sure I got a great deal. When I said I wanted to pay 90% of MSRP, husband (and salesman) simultaneously laughed at me....I expected that from the salesman...but when I countered (and of course got the usual from the salesman)...my HUSBAND was like "come on...don't nickle and dime" HUH? Whatever. Well, with 8.65 Sales Tax, 15,000 mi a year, it's $533 without Navigation which I decided I didn't really need..Hmm...maybe I should have went for it.....the extra miles are $20.00 per month, so that would be $513 for 1200 mi...The navigation is about $50-$60 more a month so that's about right....Oh, I made him tint my front windows for free which is about $400....so I'm ok. Husband really liked the ES. It was nice too! My only regret is that I could have pushed for a better deal. I was like a deer trapped in headlights.
32.gif
The MSRP was $44,300 I think and I got it for $41,000.00... I initially wanted $40000... I didn't really inspect every detail of the car which makes me nervous too...ugh...But I love the quiet and relaxing ride! It's so much smaller than I'm used to but I'll probably get better gas mileage...It better have a full spare. I'll ask him to throw it in...

I think my Jeep v8 has more power but this ride is so smooth! :)

I picked Black with light gray interior.
Now I'm thinking silver with the black interior? Help!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2006 3:01:14 PM
32.gif
The MSRP was $44,300 I think and I got it for $41,000.00... I initially wanted $40000... I didn't really inspect every detail of the car which makes me nervous too...ugh...But I love the quiet and relaxing ride! It's so much smaller than I'm used to but I'll probably get better gas mileage...It better have a full spare. I'll ask him to throw it in...

I think my Jeep v8 has more power but this ride is so smooth! :)

I picked Black with light gray interior.
Now I'm thinking silver with the black interior? Help!
hey more
35.gif
congrats !!
36.gif

make hubby hand wash your car every day
2.gif
when are you gonna take me on a spin in your new Lexus
31.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
MMM my Lexus RX330 was black with black interior and I loved it! Hard to keep clean yes, but oh so pretty. I don''t normally like silver cars much, but I will say that this Lexus looks particularly good in silver. No bad choices here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results