color
clarity

Car buying advice and negotiating tips!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay|1349740007|3281790 said:
portia|1349735979|3281744 said:
Dee*Jay|1349704687|3281461 said:
P.S. - My goal in life use to be to pare down all my worldly belongings so that they would all fit in the back of my Lexus SUV... now my goal is to get it all in the "back seat" of the 911!!!

I'm cracking up at your P.S. Too funny! I wanna see that!

Diamonds don't take up much space! :cheeky:

Very true, very true... but what about that fabulous wine collection of yours? You can't leave that behind! :))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1349732512|3281722 said:
YOu can fit a car seat in the back, but then the front seat must be moved way up- not very comfortable.
I had people back there a bunch of times as well- but I don't think the car really liked having full sized people back there.
It's so well balanced the extra weight is instantly noticeable.

I'm sure you'll love the pdk just as much DeeJay.
the car is so beautiful- whenever I see a 911- ANY year- I have to look twice, three times, four times......
So every morning when you walk up to her, you get that thrill.
Starting the car, with your left hand becomes so natural.

This has not happened for me yet. I always try to start it on the other side, or I turn the key the wrong way. :knockout: Luckily, the car ignores me when I mess up.

As for the extra weight, it's so true. I recently read that Porsche went with thinner glass on the latest version of the 911 to reduce weight. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until the manual starts recommending "driver's optimal weight". :D

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, I was really surprised, in a good way, about how much I liked the PDK. I confess I was kind of biased against it before I ever went in because I wanted to want a stick, but really, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The steering wheel I like though (the sport model) doesn’t have the flaps on the wheel itself, the shifting occurs using the stick only. There is a steering wheel with the paddle thingys, which is actually what I test drove, but I don’t think I’ll go that route.

Miracles, you will be the coolest gramma ever no matter what you drive. And you are welcome to ride in—and drive—my car any time!

David, it’s too funny that you say that about putting car seats or full sized people in the “back seat”! When I pulled the seat up far enough to push the clutch the whole way in the sales guy started laughing and said, “Someone could actually site behind you!” So, the moral story is if you have to sit behind someone in a 911, it’s me you want in the driver’s seat. And unfortunately there aren’t any in the country right now with the color combo I want. I *thought* I found one in Annapolis today, and I would have taken it even though it had some stuff one it I don’t really care about, but when I called and talked to a real live person it turned out to be the wrong gray. I would have happily flown out and driven it back!

Radiantquest, thank you for the advice! When you say “invoice,” do you mean “MSRP”? So, for instance, the MSRP on the base of the car is $82,100, and I have a list of all the options and what they cost. The guy that I talked to in Milwaukee basically took $82,100, added up all the options that I wanted from the list, and told me he’d give me $5K off of that. Does that sound reasonable or am I still being screwed in some fundamental way? I absolutely do not object to the idea of the salesman/dealer making money BTW. I firmly believe people are entitled to be paid for the work that they do and the services they provide—this is America after all!—but I do object to getting a “bad deal.” One of the things that I’m uber-conscious of in this transaction is that I am a young looking woman of small stature and that sometimes puts people in the frame of mind that they can take advantage of me. I am well armed with information in this transaction, but I think it will be more pleasant for everyone if I don’t feel like someone is trying to take advantage of me because of that. And I am generally pretty likeable, which has played well for me in many many deals, so unless anyone gives me a reason not to be likeable, I certainly will be!

One general question for people: I really don’t want a sunroof. Do you think that will be a problem for resale though?
Oh… and is it bad that I’m already looking forward to the next body style change (even though the ’13 is the “new generation” so I can justify getting my next one? Kind of like upgrading your diamond before the Fed Ex man ever shows up with the first one!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
portia|1349740710|3281804 said:
Dee*Jay|1349740007|3281790 said:
portia|1349735979|3281744 said:
Dee*Jay|1349704687|3281461 said:
P.S. - My goal in life use to be to pare down all my worldly belongings so that they would all fit in the back of my Lexus SUV... now my goal is to get it all in the "back seat" of the 911!!!

I'm cracking up at your P.S. Too funny! I wanna see that!

Diamonds don't take up much space! :cheeky:

Very true, very true... but what about that fabulous wine collection of yours? You can't leave that behind! :))

I'm thinking there should be no problem fitting all four cases in the back! Clothes be damned when there's a good malbec to be had!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, iLander, my hubby doesn't have many pictures of the Porsches and we don't even have one of the 911 he drives now. But he had one picture of his Dad's Speedster and I got him to send one of the other two my hubby has (or had in the case of the red one).

1957 356 Speedster (black), 1960 356B (red) my DH sold this one before we left VA, 1966 912 (white with red leather), and the 911 (993) (not pictured) is black with gray interior.

I tell my husband since the white 912 is just taking up good space in his extra garage that I will put it to good use and bury him in it (in the distant future, I hope)! :lol:

porsche356speedster1957.jpg

porsche356.jpg

porsche912.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
W :love: W!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1349743528|3281853 said:
Okay, iLander, my hubby doesn't have many pictures of the Porsches and we don't even have one of the 911 he drives now. But he had one picture of his Dad's Speedster and I got him to send one of the other two my hubby has (or had in the case of the red one).

1957 356 Speedster (black), 1960 356B (red) my DH sold this one before we left VA, 1966 912 (white with red leather), and the 911 (993) (not pictured) is black with gray interior.

I tell my husband since the white 912 is just taking up good space in his extra garage that I will put it to good use and bury him in it (in the distant future, I hope)! :lol:

DS, the picture of your hubby's dad's speedster is my DREAM CAR!!!! :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it's my dream car, too! If it was mine, I'd sell it and buy a Lexus RX350 SUV with half the money and buy a nice diamond ring with the other half! :naughty: :lol: But I don't think my hubby would see it that way..if he ended up with it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1349743528|3281853 said:

YAY! Thanks diamondseeker! Those are so awesome, I love them! :love:

The Speedster is especially nice in black! :cheeky:

My DD's dream car is a white Cayman with a red interior. I LOVE red interiors, I think it really makes for an cool car.

ETA: WANT black speedster! :Up_to_something:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1349745419|3281875 said:

Permission to post car pics in your thread, Captain. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1349749214|3281921 said:
Dee*Jay|1349745419|3281875 said:

Permission to post car pics in your thread, Captain. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Absolutely! And I've got one to post too if my wet phone will cooperate.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, my apologies if we have turned this into the Porsche fan club or something, Dee Jay! We're just entertaining ourselves until you have a shiny new 911 to post!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker, I am LOVING this! And I am thrilled to see so many female car enthusiasts! In both of the dealerships over the weekend they automatically assumed the person who went with me (a man) was the buyer. At the second one he said, "No honey, you go for a test drive, I'll just sit over here in the corner and read my Better Homes and Gardens." It took the sales person a while to figure out if he was kidding or not.

Here is my beloved Fisker, parked nonchalantly on the side of the road in Lake Geneva. This is only the second one I've seen in person, and it is just sexy beyond belief!!! (I don't know whose car this is, but since there's no license plate showing I hope they wouldn't mind me posting it.)

fisker_in_lake_geneva.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, when I was in Cuba last fall I too 1100 pictures of old cars. I just used Blurb to finish a coffee table book (although I only used about 115 of them). If anyone has any interest I can post a few of those.

ETA: That's how I broke my ankle--running across a wet cobblestone street in the rain to take a picture of a purple Ford Fairlane!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Dee Jay! That is an amazing story about your car photo book!

Gorgeous car!!!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay|1349750604|3281939 said:
Diamondseeker, I am LOVING this! And I am thrilled to see so many female car enthusiasts! In both of the dealerships over the weekend they automatically assumed the person who went with me (a man) was the buyer. At the second one he said, "No honey, you go for a test drive, I'll just sit over here in the corner and read my Better Homes and Gardens." It took the sales person a while to figure out if he was kidding or not.

Here is my beloved Fisker, parked nonchalantly on the side of the road in Lake Geneva. This is only the second one I've seen in person, and it is just sexy beyond belief!!! (I don't know whose car this is, but since there's no license plate showing I hope they wouldn't mind me posting it.)

Hmm...looks similar to the Maserati Quattroporte - you may like it! $120k new
http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/en/index/models/Quattroporte-S.html

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
O...M...G...!!!

And this baby is listed for 112K. At this point, what's another 12K? And I'm sure I could get it for less because it's a 2012.

My voice of reason is saying nasty things to me like "expensive maintenance," but I've hushed him and put him back in his box.

masterati2.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or this one! It's just under 100K, and it's a 4 door, so I'd be saving money and it's practical.

Webdiva, I love you.

maserati3.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1349811638|3282333 said:
O...M...G...!!!

And this baby is listed for 112K. At this point, what's another 12K? And I'm sure I could get it for less because it's a 2012.

My voice of reason is saying nasty things to me like "expensive maintenance," but I've hushed him and put him back in his box.

Life is short- get what you want! :love:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
iLander|1349740818|3281806 said:
Rockdiamond|1349732512|3281722 said:
YOu can fit a car seat in the back, but then the front seat must be moved way up- not very comfortable.
I had people back there a bunch of times as well- but I don't think the car really liked having full sized people back there.
It's so well balanced the extra weight is instantly noticeable.

I'm sure you'll love the pdk just as much DeeJay.
the car is so beautiful- whenever I see a 911- ANY year- I have to look twice, three times, four times......
So every morning when you walk up to her, you get that thrill.
Starting the car, with your left hand becomes so natural.

This has not happened for me yet. I always try to start it on the other side, or I turn the key the wrong way. :knockout: Luckily, the car ignores me when I mess up.

As for the extra weight, it's so true. I recently read that Porsche went with thinner glass on the latest version of the 911 to reduce weight. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until the manual starts recommending "driver's optimal weight". :D
Soooooo.... how long have you had her ilander?
Now you've got me really curious- what color is your Boxster?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay|1349811955|3282336 said:
Or this one! It's just under 100K, and it's a 4 door, so I'd be saving money and it's practical.

Webdiva, I love you.

I love you, too. Let me drive your car. :cheeky: hehe Glad you like it!

I'm a Maserati fan from way back but this one looks HOT in person. Even in a city where exotics are a dime a dozen! :)
Maserati Forum: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/quattroporte/

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Since Rockdiamond asked, here's my baby. Plus it doesn't take much to prod me into showing pics.

I've had her almost two months now. 2009 Boxster base model, 255 hp, PDK.

Her name is Scarlett. :bigsmile:

boxsterlr.jpg

img_1717.jpg

img_169.jpg

portia

Brilliant_Rock
OMG iLander, that's a beautiful car. I love the exterior color.

DeeJay, you're in quite the predicament here. The Maserati is a sweet car. I've seen one in the neighborhood and it's a head turner. Better go for a test drive and investigate! ;))

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, that his a gorgeous car! And I love that you named her! Mine will be Billy Ray Jr., named after the Porsche of a friend of mine, referred to as Billy Ray Valentine, Capricorn. (Any movie buffs know what that's from?!)

So I think the Maserati was a bit of late afternoon sugar low craziness. Part of it is something you mentioned Webdiva--about Maseratis being a dime a dozen where you live. If I were still in Chicago I would really consider it, especially now that I know how close they are in price to my 911. But here, in the third world country known as Kansas City, even a 911 will stand out like a sore thumb (although I did see one today downtown... with a ROOF RACK. I kid you now. A frickin' roof rack on a 911!!!). Plus, there's just something that I've always loved about a tiny zippy car. Not sure if I've ever mentioned this but my first car was a Pontiac Fiero. (And yes, I am lucky to be alive! Where was Ralph Nader on that one?!?)

And Webdiva, you are welcome to come drive Billy Ray Jr. any time!

Feb03bride, I love what an enabler you are! I'm glad we can all be here for each other!

David, you should post pis of your current baby! I'm curious about what you've got now.

Total aside, but a crazy thing happened when I was going to the gym after work. I had just pulled out of my spot in the parking garage and started to make the first turn and there was a car stopped in front of me. The driver kept putting it in reverse, but it wouldn't go in either direction. After a few minutes it started to move forward... and THE AXLE BROKE. There was a terrible THUD and the tire was all cock-eyed at the wheel well. Seriously, THE AXLE BROKE. Just as I got out of my car to find out what was going on, because from behind I didn't see the front wheel or know what what had happened, a car came down the ramp toward my car, realized I was stopped, hit the brakes, and the person beind him was going too fast and slammed right into him. Fortunately everyone was OK, and I made sure the lady with the broken axle had help on the way and was able to get home, but the whole thing was just WACKY. And all I could think of was, I wonder if this is some sort of sign. But a sign of what?!? Ack.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
YES, PLEASE MORE PICS FROM EVERYONE! :appl: :appl:

So the other driver's car broke an axle? How does that even happen? I've heard of it happening to a Corvette (those RR tracks are a danger to them, apparently), what kind of car was it?

It's not a sign unless you see 3 weird car things in quick succession. Then we'll have to discuss it and analyze the meanings. :D

A roof rack on a Porsche? Are you kidding me? :shock: How awful is that? It's like a mustache on the Mona Lisa!

When you get your Porsche, people will treat you different, Kansas City or not. Sometimes they are nice, and compliment you at the gas station, or they'll let you into traffic. But then, sometimes they'll try to race you at the green light. Seriously.

Then because you're a woman driving a Porsche, people get really wigged. I had a car pass me, pull in front of me, and then the person in the passenger seat held a pair of boxer shorts out the window. Why? What was that about? Mostly young men just peer into the car with a look that says "Why is (someone the age of) my MOM driving a Porsche?" Maybe you won't get that, but my oldest is in his mid-20's, so I get that a lot. :)

Hey, red car beats a red hat any day. ;-)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You won't have to do much arm twisting on this end:)

2013 BMW335is vert.
I kept wanting to love the M3....but it was to rough. This car is 95% as quick- same tranny- but far smoother.
this car is perfect to fill the need for speed combined with the need for TWO car seats.....and both DW and I are CRAZY about red leather......

335-seat-a.jpg
335-side.jpg

Is this a $hit eatin' grin, or what?? The car makes VERY nice noises.....
david-bmw.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David -- I LOVE that picture!!! And that's one sweet car!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had a conversation with someone in my company over lunch who has a 2001 silver 911 with platinum leather interior and he said the interior looks a bit tired... more so than black interiors of the same age. Rut ro. Do you all think that's the case? There is a medium gray option (I think it's called "smoke"). But at that point does it really make any difference from black? If I could bring myself to get the agate instead of meteor and black instead of platinum (or smoke) I could be driving one of these by the weekend... DAMMIT. At this point I might even take a meteor with black...

ETA: Am I really going to keep this for 10+ years though?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't see you keeping it for 10 years DeeJay
How many miles a year do you anticipate driving?

and thanks!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL David... last year I drove less than 2,400 miles... I'm in a new city where I have to drive to work (which I didn't before), but it's only 4 miles each way. I estimate I'll drive less than 6,000 miles/year, and that will be split between my two cars.

I'll be the one listing the 2013 in 2023 with less than 10K miles -- HA!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results