shape
carat
color
clarity

Can't wait to spend my life with her.. but i need a diamond

Badaboom

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers!

I've been lurking for a while and finally created an account today. I met the woman of my dreams two years ago and from our first date - it's just been amazing. I was planning on proposing next year but recently found out due to some health issues on her side of the family, that we'll be spending the Holiday with her family (and not in NYC where we live). Anyway, I know she'd really love if her family was around during the proposal (nearby, ready to party).. so that's what I'd love to do. Long way of saying, I'm now in a bit of a time pinch. We fly out to her family on 12/22 (i'm going to propose after xmas but before NYE).

I'm really hoping your community can help me out as I choose the diamond this week!

What I'm looking for (what she's going to love): Emerald cut solitaire on simple/skinny gold band, H or better, VS1 or better, ~1.4ish w/h ratio (rectangular).. and of course, as big/best of stone I can get for $12k-$15k. Cut is really important to me.. night/day difference on similar stones.

I'll share links of what bands I'm looking at in just a bit.

My questions:

1. I live in NYC - i've been looking at diamonds all over the place online: JA, GOG, BN, Adiamore, etc. Can the diamond district here compete with online folks? I've heard it's super high pressure in some cases so if it's not worth it (price wise) i'd rather just avoid it all together. I know with an emerald cut you want to see it first but a few sites like JA seem to have a process in place to help with that.

2. Any amazing EC's that fall into what I'm looking for that you've recently come across?

3. Do I have time to buy diamond and setting separately? Do I have to go with both through one place based on timing?

Thank you so so much for any help!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Can't wait to spend my life with her.. but i need a diam

Congratulations! What I would suggest is doing the stone and setting in one place, and it sounds what you want is pretty classic. I have heard good things about Good Old Gold for non-round shapes. Make an appointment, look at multiple in person, and choose one. Since it is the holiday season, really the sooner the better.

Badaboom

Rough_Rock

Thanks. I will head there over the weekend to check them out. My only issue with GOG is that they seem to be a good 10%-15% more expensive that the other places I've been looking at. That's quite a bit of money! Would love someone's advice on this aspect or any stories about GOG experiences.

Yes, you're totally right.. very classic band. Here are a few inspirational ones which I'd like the EC to sit on (these the band/settings, not diamond):
http://www.cartier.us/en-us/collect...s/solitaire-1895/n4235100-solitaire-ring.html
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-...low-gold_44087?track=SimilarSettings&elem=img
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/vatche-engagement-ring-91.html
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/petite-sunburst.html

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GOG will be a little more expensive because they provide a ton of information on the cut and light performance up front. All the images and reports are provided for you, while places like BN do not. It's really helpful if cut and performance are your top priorities. JA could be a nice option for an emerald cut, but they are not providing any performance images during the holidays and cannot always provide them on certain diamonds in their inventory. GOG has a great reputation for helping pick stunning diamonds of any shape, and if cut is paramount to you, then it's definitely worth a trip there since you're close. Of note, if you are planning on going, I would highly suggest calling them ahead of time and telling them what you're looking for and your budget so they can pull some stones for you to look at while you're there.

Good luck! Btw, I love the 4 prong Vatche you linked from GOG for an emerald cut. :sun:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love it that you want to propose so she can be with family! That is a good sign for your future together!

I am going to look for a diamond now. James Allen is the best place to look because of the number of stones they have and the videos. You can buy directly from them, or you can see if GOG can call in the same stone and give you the ASET images. I feel like you need to hurry, because I know, for example, that Vatche typically takes two weeks (not sure if they are busier before the holidays or not). Yes, definitely buy stone and setting from the same place.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would consider this one. It is a lovely shape and the light return looks good. I would try to negotiate the price since it is slightly over your budget.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-85ct-g-vs1-emerald-cut-diamond-1.html

This one is about the same size (length and width) and price, so have them compare this one:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2ct-f-vs2-emerald-cut-diamond.html

They will do a video for you to compare stones. (Obviously, if you can go there asap, that would be best. Make an appointment so they know what you are coming to see.)

They might be able to call in this one and check the light return, but it's length and depth is smaller than those above. Emerald cuts face up smaller than some other stones due to their depth, so it is very important to look at the diameter measurements.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.81-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-729062

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1449273729|3957637 said:
Can you squeeze in a trip to ID Jewelry? They have a few stones that meet your criteria, such as:
http://idjewelry.com/emerald-afu337-3.html

I think that picture looks pretty good, but that stone is an example of what I was talking about regarding the measurements. It only faces up at about 7.6 x 5.6mm whereas the GOG stones are 8.2 x 5.9mm. I am just really in tune to that because I am having an EC sapphire set now and it is larger than both of these, yet it appears small to me on my hand. So I would really recommend him going for the largest nicely cut stone he can find in budget. I do think he should try to get the GOG stone for less than they are asking, but it is going to cost more because of the face-up size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1449272374|3957623 said:
I would consider this one. It is a lovely shape and the light return looks good. I would try to negotiate the price since it is slightly over your budget.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-85ct-g-vs1-emerald-cut-diamond-1.html

This one is about the same size (length and width) and price, so have them compare this one:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2ct-f-vs2-emerald-cut-diamond.html

They will do a video for you to compare stones. (Obviously, if you can go there asap, that would be best. Make an appointment so they know what you are coming to see.)
PUT THESE ON HOLD NOW.

I adore the first stone and think it is going to be an amazing stone, but you should go see them or ask for a video ASAP.

I think that they will knock her socks off on a lovely plain yellow gold shank with a platinum head (do a platinum head for the setting).

Badaboom

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much for the help! Those stones are incredible.

I'm heading over there today (GOG). I guess they're having a holiday party so maybe with a little 'liquid holiday' in them, I can negotiate with them a bit.

I also just found out that my brother, who heads up a security (tech security, not people security) in Vegas, has a well known jewelry store family as a client. He trusts the guy given their relationship. The owner of the store is sending over some pics tomorrow of a 2.14 G VVS2 emerald cut. It was a stone bought from his store a couple years ago but yesterday the ring's owner asked the store can consign it for her - it was literally like 2 hours after my brother mentioned that I'm on the hunt. GIA certified and all. $12,500. Seems like too good of a deal. I also don't know if I want to wait until Monday but the savings seems incredible...

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

I'm a New Yorker and if I were going for a 15000 stone I would deal with GOG. I love IDJ but I bought my earring jackets and small studs from them. GOG gives amazing insight into your diamond I think they are the way to go

Badaboom

Rough_Rock

Thanks, Heidi. I am likely going to purchase from them. If I remember, I'll post a picture of the final product here! Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Fingers crossed....

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Badaboom said:
Thanks, Heidi. I am likely going to purchase from them. If I remember, I'll post a picture of the final product here! Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Fingers crossed....

I hope you find something spectacular! And yes....if you remember please come back and post photos and maybe some hand shots. It's what we live for around here, lol!!

Best to you in this exciting time :sun: .

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Badaboom|1449532959|3958766 said:

Fingers crossed....

Good luck! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results