shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t find all of specs on princess cut on blue nile

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

teamday13

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a diamond on blue nile that I think looks perfect for my budget and seems to have all of the characteristics I''m looking for:

http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cut-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-e-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01298237?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=1

However, I know that princess cut diamonds can be tough to pick out because they don''t always follow the rules. I can''t seem to find the crown and pavilion angles for this diamond (I think I remember somewhere that GIA doesn''t give them?), and I would like to have these numbers before I purchase the ring. Also, I have heard people talk about getting an Ideal Scope image for the diamond to see how it reflects light. Is this possible, and if so, how do I go about obtaining these images? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The diamond is priced at $5658. Is this a good price? Thanks again.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No lab reports gave crown and pavilion angles for princess cut or other fancy cuts because there are multiple angles and pavilions. For example a princess can have a main pavilion and multiple chevrons, 2-4 chevrons cut are more common.

Bluenile will not be able to supply you with ASET image or any image for that matter. You either buy safe from a vendor that provides these images or buy from BN and send it to an independent appraiser with these cut performance scopes to analyze it and if you don''t like it return it to BN.

teamday13

Rough_Rock
If I were to purchase the diamond from BN just to check it out for myself and also to have it appraised, I''m assuming that I would want to buy it loose, right? Now if I like it and I was interested in buying a band from BN, how would I be able to get the ring assembled (may seem like dumb questions, but I am new to all of this
1.gif
) Also, is it common practice to purchase a few diamonds at a time from different web sites so that they can be compared in person to each other and appraised at the same time? I don''t know if this is common practice since the price would be considerable (~5k for each diamond), although I know that many sites have a return policy. Thanks for the help!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You can search by cut here to find and compare stones that do have ASET and IdealScope images. Their prices are not $5k for a 1 carat E VVS2, but cut is a big factor in that.

Speaking of color and clarity, have you looked at stones in person? If not, you may find that that you can comfortably go lower in both areas without sacrificing beauty or appearance.

I think BlueNile is great for budget shopping, especially for rounds because you can be pretty well assured of the cut quality from the reports. But a princess just isn''t the same; I''d consider a more boutique online vendor that will give you the images you want. Buying several stones at once just to return most of them sounds too risky to me -- insurance for mailing and hassle and the annoyance if there''s a misunderstanding or problem with the credit card and all that -- but I know it''s been done.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try going down in color and clarity. As long as it is eye-clean to you, you won''t be able to tell the difference between VVS or SI1. Color is also dependent on your color sensitivity, if you haven''t seen them, check out stones of different color graded by GIA/AGS.

Or check out this video by GoodOldGold http://vimeo.com/3288695

Try and find an AGS0 cut graded princess, AGS being the only lab that cut grades a princess, they are a safer bet if buying blind.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 6:46:49 PM
Author:teamday13
I am looking at a diamond on blue nile that I think looks perfect for my budget and seems to have all of the characteristics I'm looking for:

http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cut-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-e-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01298237?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=1

However, I know that princess cut diamonds can be tough to pick out because they don't always follow the rules. I can't seem to find the crown and pavilion angles for this diamond (I think I remember somewhere that GIA doesn't give them?), and I would like to have these numbers before I purchase the ring. Also, I have heard people talk about getting an Ideal Scope image for the diamond to see how it reflects light. Is this possible, and if so, how do I go about obtaining these images? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The diamond is priced at $5658. Is this a good price? Thanks again.
You won't find this info on the GIA report, to try to keep it simple, also they aren't used in quite the same way as rounds. The best way to choose a well cut Princess is to get ASET rather than IS and photos of the diamond but BN do not supply them regrettably.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 9:28:12 PM
Author: teamday13
If I were to purchase the diamond from BN just to check it out for myself and also to have it appraised, I'm assuming that I would want to buy it loose, right? Now if I like it and I was interested in buying a band from BN, how would I be able to get the ring assembled (may seem like dumb questions, but I am new to all of this
1.gif
) Also, is it common practice to purchase a few diamonds at a time from different web sites so that they can be compared in person to each other and appraised at the same time? I don't know if this is common practice since the price would be considerable (~5k for each diamond), although I know that many sites have a return policy. Thanks for the help!
Then you would need to find a good jeweller to assemble the diamond and the ring and make sure the diamond is covered against loss or damage while being set, ask the jeweller if he would take responsibility. If not then you would have to try to find an insurance co who would cover for this.

If finances permit it is certainly possible to purhcase a few diamonds at one time and have them appraised.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results