shape
carat
color
clarity

Can't decide if this is a good stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mmlaw98

Rough_Rock
I can't decide if this is a good stone for the price. The following are its attributes:.905 crt.; SI1; H color; AGS Ideal 0 (also ideal polish and symmetry); inert fluorescence; table=54%; depth=62.1%; 6.19mm-6.25mm * 3.86mm; crown=15.7% (34.8deg); pavilion=43.6% (41.3deg); thin girdle; no cutlet. Price is $4,308.Any insight as to these measurements and whether the cost is consistent would be most appreciated. Thanks.

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi,Did you verify the diamond with Blue Nile, as in asking them to send you a copy of the
AGS certificate?
Also call AGS to verify that the certificate number matches their records (just being safe).
ThanksMoe

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,I ran your numbers through the cut adviser on this site and it reads back as follows:

Selected: 62.1% depth, 54% table, 34.8° crown angle, 41.3° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish

Factor Grade
Brilliance Good
Fire Fair
Scintillation Fair
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 5.1 - Good - Only if price is your main criteria Many diamonds with excellent scores may not be traditional 'ideal cuts' but we
believe their value will rise once the GIA establishes its cut standard.
This system is being continually fine-tuned and results may change without notice.Garry Holloway FGAA DDT

Please be advised to have any diamond you purchase evaluated by an
independent accredited appraiser before the expiration of the vendor return policy>>

Have you seen this diamond? It is quite deep. There are some AGS 0 diamonds that are less beautiful than non-AGS 0 cuts.If you haven't already done so, you can read the tutorial and watch the video on this site.
https://www.pricescope.com/tutorial.asp Hope this helps.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Mmlaw98,I only can guess that "Belgian" cut is about the same as "Russian" cut... If there is no grading report for the diamond, you need to be very careful and evaluate it with independent knowledgeable appraiser. Best of all would be to ask your vendor to send the stone to GIA or AGS. It would cost some money but at least you would know what you are buying.True Tolkowsky proportions should give you a great diamonds. Unfortunately some labs use this term very freely. You should look on the proportions including crown and pavilion angle.In your first question the AGS0 diamond has deeper than Tolkowsky pavilion angle that cause partial light leakage under the table (see our tutorial). AGS still call this stone ideal and you will be asked to pay premium for it - not a good idea.Since you are in Texas you might want to check Whiteflash.com. They are in Houston and sell great branded A Cut Above Hearts and Arrows stones. Bob is very knowledgeable gemologist. And their prices are very reasonable.leonid

mmlaw98

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lawmax and Moediamond for your responses to my query. I thought that since the stone was an AGS 0 (ideal cut) it would have excellent to very good fire and brilliance- I guess I was somewhat mistaken. I do have another guestion-if you guys don't mind. I saw a 1.04 rd VS1, G-H color here at a local store. The seller indicated that the stone was a Belgian cut, based on the Tolkowsky ideal. What are your thoughts on the Belgian cut? Also, the stone does not have an AGS or GIA certificate so I don't know its dimensions. BTW, the cost was $5100. Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A typical Belgian cut is a steep crown and acceptable pavilion. HRD the belgian lab is the most loose - an exporters lab, not a buyers lab.
Have the retailer send it off to Dave Atlas, or at least demand an accurate Srin report. Dont mess about.
Garry Holloway

mmlaw98

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your informative response, Cut Nut. I think I will stay away from that belgian cut in light of its lack of certification and steep cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results