shape
carat
color
clarity

can't decide between pearls

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everybody. So I have a pair of white freshadamas studs, that are a tad too big. I'm trying to decide on natural white akoyas in 8mm or white south seas in 9mm. I can't decide as they are both lovely. WSS are extremely white while the hanadamas have a soft glow. Please tell me which one would you choose and why. In a perfect world I'd get both.

Q

Queenie60

I have both. I prefer the color of the hanadamas - the white ss are a bit stark white. It's a matter of preference, I enjoy having a choice! Can't go wrong with either.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You don't give us enough information to help. How big are the too big pearls? Have you considered having them converted into dangle earrings? I have and I like the too big pearls 14-20mm as dangles.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's really studs you are after, are you planning to wear them with a strand you already own or plan to buy?

If so, what kind of pearls are the strand pearls, and what size? And what tone? There may be issues of matching to consider.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Queenie60 Yeah, I would love to have both pairs.

NacreLover They are 10mm studs. They are lovely but just a tad too big for everyday casual wear. Also I want another pair of smaller studs. I am really liking pearls lately.

pearlsngems No necklace, I just want some earrings.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
If you live in the US and won't have to worry about that huge import tax some people on here who live in other countries talk about, why not get both? Try them on and then decide which ones to keep and which to send back. Except sometimes this backfires and you end up not able to part with either of them. :p

Another consideration is that if you're keeping the 10mm, 9mm is closer in size to what you already have than 8mm. Maybe the smaller ones would seem less like having two of nearly the same thing.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 10mm pearl is 95% larger than an 8mm pearl and 37% larger than a 9mm pearl. (This is easily calculated using the formula for the volume of spheres.)

So if you get 8mm studs they will be about half the size of the 10mm pearls you have been wearing. Do you want studs that are that much smaller?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I would go to a store and try those sizes on. Most jewelry stores can order them in if they don't have them. After all, most of us wear large pearls..... :love:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Keep the big ones. You can downsize now, but you'll just end up buying big later on. It's PSS. ;-)

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not so hung up on the size but more on do I want the natural white hanadamas? Or should I get WSS studs. Hanadamas have the really nice soft luster. WSS are stark white which I also like. Two very different looks. Both equally beautiful.

Q

Queenie60

Gothgirl: You are so right - both are equally beautiful. If it were me, I would go with the freshhadamas as the soft glow is very beautiful. It's a tough choice. Wishing you luck and look forward to knowing what you choose. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results