shape
carat
color
clarity

Canary Diamond or Larry's? Why Larry's more expensive?

JC1985

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have been shopping for a pair of diamonds, and I was recommended by a friend to check out Larry Jewelry and Canary Diamond. Although I don't know much about diamonds, I looked at one piece from both shop about 1.50 ct D VVS2 and Larry's price is 20% higher. They both have the same specs and are GIA certified not Lazare certificate. Service is excellent in both though so I am curious why such a big price difference? I was told Canary buys from the cutters directly. Please advice or should I look somewhere else before taking the plunge.

JC

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canary hands down. I've bought from both and am not impressed with the price diffential. Lazare diamonds are very beautiful too but there's no need to pay the hefty price difference.

I dunno why Canary's pricing is lower than most B&M's in SG. Their prices are still not as competitive as those of PS vendors, but their jewellery pieces have very beautiful designs and the best thing is there's no waiting/ you can pick up a piece that you like straightaway. But if you're buying a loose stone, it might be worthwhile to check out PS vendors.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Hi JC.

Are you from Singapore? I asked because there're Canary & Larry shops here. Though I've not had any experience from either, my bro-in-law bought from Larry a few years back and it seems you can 'bargain' with them. I'm not very comfortable with such practice, but I've not found PS then so couldn't advise my Sis. You may want to check the prices of similar specs diamond from some of the online vendors recommended in PS. Also, read about HCA score to learn how to weed out poor performance diamond.

JC1985

Rough_Rock
I recently move to Singapore with my family. The first ring, 1ct I got was from Tiffany HK and for the price I was disturbed to find out I could get a much larger diamond at Larry's and another 1-2 grades up at Canary. Looked at some of the online dealers but the guy at larry's showed me something interesting about things that HCA score can't detect. HCA apparently is an index and it doesn't take into account things like crystal of diamond, whether it's clear and the location of the inclusions. He had two stones both Gia certified one with high HCA and the other low. The low score one just looks 'milky'. Even though the score was 0.7. (i was cheeky and asked why he had the milky piece in the first place, he paused for a bit). When I went to Canary, they said the same and added that HCA also doesn't apply to stones other than round and best to compare many stones visually at once so you know what you are looking for not buy diamonds on certs. I believe the small difference I pay is definitely worth a piece of mind buying what I physically see and touch. Plus I get to see, touch and choose a setting at larry's or even better, custom design my ring at canary. I saw some nice designs at canary too. Don't think I will buy from those online ps also, went to one of their 'office' and I felt strange like I was buying drugs or something illegal, the feeling was pressurizing, and when I got up to leave, he lowered price by another 15%....found it dodgy as hell I will try what you recommend and bargain at larry's again, if not my money's with canary.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to chime in here.

I've know William for a long time, like most of his clientele. My business with him has been more to do with settings than purchasing stones. Dealt with Larry's once many, many years ago........enuff said!

You cannot go wrong with William. He's patient, creative and willing to look after his clientele even for the smallest of jobs.

If you don't feel comfortable buying with online vendors, research prices online and maybe try to negotiate with William or Steven a little.

I'm sure the SG gals who have bought from William would be more than willing to come to your aid and go with you to throw a little extra weight into the deal :wink2:

My Avatar was set by William........

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkles, I "shouted" out to you on my other thread.

JC, sorry abt the thread jack.

I'd be happy to go with you to Canary if you'd like. I'm planning to go there this week or next week to pick up a piece of jewellery that's been reset by them. Also, you can either ask for William, Steven or Bonne.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
JC1985|1302965431|2897701 said:
I recently move to Singapore with my family. The first ring, 1ct I got was from Tiffany HK and for the price I was disturbed to find out I could get a much larger diamond at Larry's and another 1-2 grades up at Canary. Looked at some of the online dealers but the guy at larry's showed me something interesting about things that HCA score can't detect. HCA apparently is an index and it doesn't take into account things like crystal of diamond, whether it's clear and the location of the inclusions. He had two stones both Gia certified one with high HCA and the other low. The low score one just looks 'milky'. Even though the score was 0.7. (i was cheeky and asked why he had the milky piece in the first place, he paused for a bit). When I went to Canary, they said the same and added that HCA also doesn't apply to stones other than round and best to compare many stones visually at once so you know what you are looking for not buy diamonds on certs. I believe the small difference I pay is definitely worth a piece of mind buying what I physically see and touch. Plus I get to see, touch and choose a setting at larry's or even better, custom design my ring at canary. I saw some nice designs at canary too. Don't think I will buy from those online ps also, went to one of their 'office' and I felt strange like I was buying drugs or something illegal, the feeling was pressurizing, and when I got up to leave, he lowered price by another 15%....found it dodgy as hell I will try what you recommend and bargain at larry's again, if not my money's with canary.

JC,

Understand your preference on buying something you can physically see and touch. Canary and Larry are both reputable vendors in their own right.

However, I would like to highllight that HCA score is just a tool to help in identifying a diamond with good proportion. It is not a be all, end all criteria. People here in PS are very particular about cut and proportion and most (not all) would rate cut as the most important of the 4Cs. After cut, there are the clarity, color and carat to consider. Clarity and color is more of a personal preference and a mindclean issue. I noticed here in Asia, many seems to prefer clarity of VVS or at the most VS1, especially for something as sentimental as an engagement ring. I had that mentality too until I found PS. I finally purchased a VS2 diamond and it is perfectly eyeclean. I have seen many SI1 diamonds (and even SI2, though rare) that are eyeclean here in PS.

It is good you can compare a number of diamonds in the store and see what appeals to you. Look at the diamonds in different lighting and see how they perform. Happy shopping! ;-)

JC1985

Rough_Rock
Dear all,

Thanks for your comments and Sparkles, you are right, William's very easy to speak to and he worked out a great deal for me. I have finally took the plunge and bought a pair of earrings from Canary Diamond. I was amazed of their selection compared to Larry's. They had matching 1.50ct, 1.60ct, 1.70ct etc Ds Es and Fs. I negotiated with the associate at Larry's but they only had 1.57ct FVS2 and pushed me to get another piece 1.55ct GVS2 saying its the same when I keep telling him I wanted matching pairs. They said they need 2-3 weeks if I wanted something matching exactly. I much prefer a matching pair and within my original budget for the 1.50 cts at Larry's, I bought a pair of exact matching pairs 1.73ct FVS2s from Canary. I am getting them set up and I will post some pictures once I get them.

Thanks my fellow PS friends for your help.

jc

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those are high specs. I bet they're beautiful and white!! :love: Canary carries some amazing pieces!!

Congrats. Can't wait to see pics!!

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! Glad to know you found a matching pair and had a wonderful experience at Canary

Can't wait to see your pics when it's ready :lickout:

JC1985

Rough_Rock
Just got my earrings from Canary's. Wow wow wow, what can I say. They look even larger than I first remembered. Went to my office and now my colleagues are enticed. Now I will start working on a nice tennis bracelet. Here's a picture of my earrings...taken at my office. Thanks for all the advice my fellow PriceScope friends.

My Beautiful Diamond Earrings.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results