shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadian Princess Cut Diamond - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

almac16

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I just joined up today after having browsed the site for a few days now.

I am looking to purchasing a canadian princess cut diamond. I previously knew nothing about diamonds, but have been trying to do extensive research into it before making a purchase.

I have been trying to keep to the following stats:

Between 0.6ct and 0.8ct (close to 0.7ct being best)
Clarity a minimum of VS2
Color a minimum of I
GIA certificate (and also some certificate of CDN authenticity)

I''ve narrowed a few choices down and would like to possibly have some discussion with you all on which one I should choose and why.

(not sure what info you would require to make an accurate choice, but I will start with this)

0.77ct Clarity: VS2, Color: G, Cut: Excellent, Depth: ?, Table: ? Cert: GIA
0.80ct Clarity: VS2, Color: G, Cut: Very good, Depth: ?, Table: ? Cert: GIA
0.56ct Clarity: VVS2, Color: F, Cut: Canadian, Depth: 76%, Table: 70% Cert: GIA
0.57ct Clarity: VS1, Color: D, Cut: Excellent Certified Canadian, Depth: 66%, Table: 72% Cert: GIA
0.6ct Clarity: VS1, Color: E, Cut: ?, Depth: 70.4%, Table: 76% Cert: GIA
0.7ct Clarity: IF, Color: F, Cut: ?, Depth: 66.4%, Table: 72% Cert: GIA
0.77ct Clarity: VS1, Color: I, Cut: ?, Depth: 73.7%, Table: 73% Cert: GIA

The whole depth and table are throwing me off for the princess cut. I can''t find much information on what is good for that cut.
Also I do not have the ability to see these diamonds in person as they are all from online sources. I am from Canada and have been trying to keep it to Canadian sites so I do not have to pay border fees.

Can anyone help me with this? I really want to make this a nice diamond for my wife to be.

Thanks Everyone,
Alex.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi almac,

Unfortunately, even if you had all the stats we would need, we still couldn't tell you anything. Fancy cuts need certain types of pics, called ASET, to really telly us about the cut/light return of a stone. And there are no set of numbers that will say it's a good stone.

AGS lab does grade for light performance, so if your jeweler carries those, it would help ensure you get a decent stone.

Is there a reason for the Canadian preference?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 9:16:28 AM
Author: Ellen
Hi almac,

Unfortunately, even if you had all the stats we would need, we still couldn''t tell you anything. Fancy cuts need certain types of pics, called ASET, to really telly us about the cut/light return of a stone. And there are no set of numbers that will say it''s a good stone.

AGS lab does grade for light performance, so if your jeweler carries those, it would help ensure you get a decent stone.

Is there a reason for the Canadian preference?
Ditto

almac16

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

Oh wow... another twist in my quest for the perfect diamond. I have never heard of the ASET pics before.

We are looking for a Canadian Diamond for no other reason than to have a diamond from Canada (being from here type of thing). If she didn''t want CDN I know it would be a lot cheaper ;o)

Okay, I will have to do some digging again... to see if I can find some ASET pictures.

Anything else I should look for?? I never would have thought Diamonds would be so technical.... it is actually quite interesting to say the least. But a lot of work at the same time (to find a good one!). It would be so easy just to grab any old one.

Also does anyone know of any really good canadian diamond dealers?
I''ve looked at
www.bluenile.ca
www.diamondexchange.ca
www.canadadiamonds.com
www.canadian-diamonds-wholesale.com
(brilliantearth and diamonds.ca not looking like good return policy etc for canada).

Thanks again,
Alex.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Hi Alex
35.gif

My FI got my RB Canadian diamond e-ring from Peoples (I want a Canadian diamond because I'm Canadian!) And I think they carry princess cut Canadian diamonds now..

My mom got her RB Canadian diamond from Charms and they also carry princess cut canadian diamonds..

I can't think of any online vendor that carries canadian princess cut other than the ones you've listed already....

Good luck~~

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
As far as I know, there is no duty between the US and Canada for loose stones. I''m not sure if this helps (don''t know of any US stores that carry specifically Canadian diamonds), but worth checking out...

almac16

Rough_Rock
Just to clear things up a little more... I am looking for a loose diamond. My wife-to-be has a custom design picked out and a place to do it for us... we just need to put a rock in the middle. I don''t believe Charm and Peoples will sell a loose diamond....will they?????

Also , can someone confirm the shipping into Canada..... what do we pay at the border.... ?

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I believe Whiteflash has had Canadian diamonds, so you may want to get in contact with them to see what they can find for you.

http://www.whiteflash.com

As for taxes, you only pay GST and PST on diamonds from the US, no duty.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I just shipped a loose diamond over the border last week and I believe I paid no duty but 5% tax on the invoice amount (Haven't receive the bill from Fedex yet)

and Charms does sell loose Canadian diamonds (at least at the one that I went to in Calgary)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 10:31:29 AM
Author: almac16
Thanks for the replies.

Oh wow... another twist in my quest for the perfect diamond. I have never heard of the ASET pics before.

We are looking for a Canadian Diamond for no other reason than to have a diamond from Canada (being from here type of thing). If she didn''t want CDN I know it would be a lot cheaper ;o)

Okay, I will have to do some digging again... to see if I can find some ASET pictures.

Anything else I should look for?? I never would have thought Diamonds would be so technical.... it is actually quite interesting to say the least. But a lot of work at the same time (to find a good one!). It would be so easy just to grab any old one.

Also does anyone know of any really good canadian diamond dealers?
I''ve looked at
www.bluenile.ca
www.diamondexchange.ca
www.canadadiamonds.com
www.canadian-diamonds-wholesale.com
(brilliantearth and diamonds.ca not looking like good return policy etc for canada).

Thanks again,
Alex.
This is a good tutorial for ASET

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure about the places you listed, but I know GOG sells round Canadian, they might have, or be able to get Princess. You could at least ask. Call and ask to speak with Jon, he''s the head honcho and very nice to work with. They are located in NY.

http://shop.goodoldgold.com/

almac16

Rough_Rock

Hi again,

I know we can''t make a perfect judement without seeing the ASET pics, but of the following 3 GIA certs, which one do you experts FEEL would be the best choice?

Thanks!

Alex.

70dsi1.jpg

almac16

Rough_Rock
diamond #2

77Ivs1.jpg

almac16

Rough_Rock
diamond #3

70evvs2 nwt.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just going by this info, which is not very helpful and not recommended, as a disclaimer, I guess the 2nd one. You want at least Very Good Symmetry, and "usually" the table being smaller /close to the depth, is preferable.

But I would still recommend calling the jewelers we listed in here to inquire if they carry Canadian diamonds.
28.gif

almac16

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:03:05 AM
Just going by this info, which is not very helpful and not recommended, as a disclaimer, I guess the 2nd one. You want at least Very Good Symmetry, and ''usually'' the table being smaller /close to the depth, is preferable.

But I would still recommend calling the jewelers we listed in here to inquire if they carry Canadian diamonds.
28.gif
Hi
I did contact all of the jewelers listed with one exception. GOG. I just tried to use their contact us form and it does not work.
Does anyone have a direct email address to GOG? Are they good at answering emails? I do not have access to call from work.
But I can email.
Thanks,
Alex.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 9:21:00 AM

Date: 3/10/2009 9:03:05 AM
Just going by this info, which is not very helpful and not recommended, as a disclaimer, I guess the 2nd one. You want at least Very Good Symmetry, and 'usually' the table being smaller /close to the depth, is preferable.

28.gif
Hi
I did contact all of the jewelers listed with one exception. GOG. I just tried to use their contact us form and it does not work.
Does anyone have a direct email address to GOG? Are they good at answering emails? I do not have access to call from work.
But I can email.
Thanks,
Alex.

Here are contact details

Address:
GOG

5278 Sunrise Highway

Massapequa Park, NY 11762
(516) 798-5151

Extensions:
General Diamond Engagement Ring: Office Ext 2
Diamond Questions : Jonathan, Sarah, or Charles Ext 304
Shipping, Appraisals, Payments: Joanne Ext 310
Settings: Marie Ext 309
Website Analysis, Pictures, etc.: Charles Ext 306

Hours:
Internet Office & Store Hours:

Internet Office Hours:
Tuesday - Saturday:
9:30 am - 6:00 pm EST
Thursday:
9:30 am - 9:00 pm EST

Store Hours:
Tuesday - Friday:
10:30 am - 6:00 pm EST
Saturday 10:00-6:00
Thursday:
10:30 am - 9:00 pm EST

Phone:
(516) 798-5151 ext. 2

General E-mail:
[email protected]

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:21:00 AM

Hi
But I can email.
Thanks,
Alex.
I take it no luck then?

And here''s GOG''s contact page, I''d email Sarah.

http://shop.goodoldgold.com/index.cfm/a/article.show/artid/48

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Little late.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
face20.gif

almac16

Rough_Rock
Ahhhh ha... you folk are great. I hope to hear back from Sarah soon. GOG website is really nice and has the asset pics ,hopefully they have something I can consider (I did check the website myself too, didn''t see anything).

my search continutes......
emotion-15.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:24:21 PM
Just to clear things up a little more... I am looking for a loose diamond. My wife-to-be has a custom design picked out and a place to do it for us... we just need to put a rock in the middle. I don''t believe Charm and Peoples will sell a loose diamond....will they?????

Also , can someone confirm the shipping into Canada..... what do we pay at the border.... ?
Alex, a couple of questions:

Where abouts in Canada are you?
Have you talked to your jeweller about getting you some stones in to look at?
Shipping cost to Canada from the US can be as little as C$30, but insurance will up that figure. You will also have to pay GST + PST/HST/QST unless you live in AB, in which case it is just GST.

On top of that you will have to pay a brokerage fee from the courier.

I know Canuk-gal has purchased from the US, so maybe she will chime in.

I would advise against Peoples unless you really know what you are doing. I think they sell lower quality material.

On a separate note, a question for some of our diamond experts: given the volume of diamonds that Canada produces, where do they all go? Are they cut mainly in Canada? Valerie Pringle (Cdn travel show anchor) was visiting the Ekati mine and there were cutters on site. Are Canadian diamonds generally cut to the same standards we have come to expect on PS? Exactly, what are we paying a premium for?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My only experience with shipping diamonds and jewellery to my home have been using FedEx and you pay them--they broker it for you. In Alberta we only pay GST--no provincial sales tax.

I know Infinity has some Canadian rounds, but Princess cuts, I cannot be sure. You could call a vendor listed on the Infinity site and ask them. And if you live in Calgary there are vendors in town who carry Canadian diamonds.

cheers--Sharon

almac16

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 11:10:20 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

My only experience with shipping diamonds and jewellery to my home have been using FedEx and you pay them--they broker it for you. In Alberta we only pay GST--no provincial sales tax.

I know Infinity has some Canadian rounds, but Princess cuts, I cannot be sure. You could call a vendor listed on the Infinity site and ask them. And if you live in Calgary there are vendors in town who carry Canadian diamonds.

cheers--Sharon
Hi Canuk-gal,

I am in Nova Scotia. So I get to pay 13% tax. What other fees did FedEx charge you for brokerage?

thanks,
Alex.

almac16

Rough_Rock
white flash has the following canadian diamond:

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1231699.htm#

which includes sarin, aset and ideal scope pictures.

How does this one look? It is a little more than I would have liked to spend ( by the time we convert to CDN and I pay shipping, taxes (13%) and any brokerage fees that may apply).

Thanks,
Alex.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I''m not loving it Alex. Looking at the ASET, see all the black areas? that''s light leakage, which means not as bright/pretty of a stone. You can do better. (hopefully)

almac16

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 370px">Date: 3/10/2009 10:43:20 AM
Author: Gailey

Shipping cost to Canada from the US can be as little as C$30, but insurance will up that figure. You will also have to pay GST + PST/HST/QST unless you live in AB, in which case it is just GST.

I would advise against Peoples unless you really know what you are doing. I think they sell lower quality material.

On a separate note, a question for some of our diamond experts: given the volume of diamonds that Canada produces, where do they all go? Are they cut mainly in Canada? Valerie Pringle (Cdn travel show anchor) was visiting the Ekati mine and there were cutters on site. Are Canadian diamonds generally cut to the same standards we have come to expect on PS? Exactly, what are we paying a premium for?
I agree.... where are these diamonds going?!?!? I was talking to the wife-to-be yesterday on the way home from work and I said it must be places like Charm/Peoples/Ben Moss, etc snatching up all the diamonds and selling them off in their stores already preset, etc. I find a lot of the stuff they have in the store are of lower quality than I am finding on the internet.
I heard on the news (or read it somewhere) that Canada accounts for 15% of the world''s diamonds. That seems like a lot... there should be a bunch floating around.

Also it could be that there are alot of them, but I am looking for a more complicated cut (princess). The couple times I looked accidentally for round a lot of results came up. I dunno.........

I just know it is not easy being picky!

Thanks everyone... I sent a bunch more emails today, hopefully something new comes up.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/10/2009 10:43:20 AM
Author: Gailey

You are paying a premium for them to be from Canada. It is felt that this is a guarantee that there is no conflict involved with them. They can be cut well or poorly, depending on the cutter. Paul used to cut a lot of Canadian diamonds, but he found that most people did not want to pay the premium so he started using diamonds from other sources. Perhaps he could give you a better insite to the Canadian picture. I believe that it is also now required that the diamonds be initially finished in Canada, but I could be wrong about that.

Wink

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
* quick threadjack*

Gailey I LOVE your avatar!!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results