shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadian GIA NWT engraved stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
Hi, a newbie here!

Pulling the trigger very very soon and I''m losing all my hair.

I found a stone. It''s engraved with the NWT code and it''s GIA certified.

Does a Canadian diamond usually add a premium to a diamond? or does it lower the price?

Here''s some more info>

Depth is within these parameters: 59 - 61.8
Table is within these parameters: 53 - 57.5
Crown angles are within these parameters - 34.3 - 34.8
Pavilion angles are within these parameters - 40.6 - 40.9

Size - 2.01 carats
Symmetry - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Cut - Very good

Price is $23,156

Is this diamond undervalued or at least priced correctly.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP. I''VE BEEN LOOKING AT STONES FOR A WHILE NOW AND IT NEEDS TO BE PURCHASED SOON. MY MOMENT OF OPPORTUNITY WILL PASS IF I WAIT ANY LONGER.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
Sorry, forgot to mention

Girdle - thin to medium
Florescence - none
cutlet -none

Thank you.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
I am not sure if it will come with the paperwork. All I know for certain is that the NWT serial numberis engraved on the girdle and it states so in the GIA report.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What color is it? unless I missed it.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
Ellen, it''s a G, VSI

Thanks for all the help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have exact
depth
table
crown angle
pavillion angle
girdle measurement
fluorescence?

If this is a recent GIA report, the above will be there.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a pretty cheap price, most around here (the internet) would be at least 3 grand + more. Which makes me think there''s something about it making it that much less.... I don''t like the fact that you don''t have actual numbers.

Can you get an IS pic?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oops, somewhat repetitive.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
I have the exact measurements at home. I looked through various forums and checked off that the measurements are within the ideal measurements scope. I don''t recall the exact measurements right now.

However, it does note on the certificate that "cut grade is affected by brillanteering". That is the only red light i saw but I could not find much out about it online. All the measurements appear to be great. Any thoughts on this?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The statement of proportions is a bit peculiar. These are not actual measurements and they are not simply restating the GIA standards for ‘very good’ cutting, which is the scale they are using. Any idea where this data came from?

If the dealer does not have the GNWT paperwork, I would not expect them to be able to get a premium for Canadian origin but the girdle inscription shouldn’t be a negative factor either.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

wistletown

Rough_Rock
Denverappraiser or anyone else,

Does the Canadian gov''t certificates ever reach the hands of the buyer? or it''s just something that is given to the cutter?

All i will be given is the GIA certificate which states in the comments that the NWTXXXX number is enscribed on the girdle.

Also, The proportions looked very good to me. I apologize I don''t have the exact measurements with me but I know when i did the comparisons to ideal measurements it all fell within the range. But EXACT measurements were provided to me.

The only redlight I saw was right under the table chart on the GIA certificate, it says cut grade affected by brillanteering. So what I''m being told is that even though the proportions might earn it an ideal cut grade, it''s just not giving off the brillance of one so the grade was downgraded to a very good. Could this be a problem. I am not necessarily looking for an ideal cut. But could this affect or lower the price????

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The GNWT certificate is prepared for the benefit of consumers and it generally accompanies the diamond. The cutters pay a fair amount to be part of this system and consumers like it because it represents ‘proof’ of Canadian origin and cutting. A girdle inscription is not an adequate substitute. GIA is merely reporting on the presence of the writing on the girdle. It''s a physical description of the stone. They are not making a statement of any kind about the country of origin.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 12:35:53 PM
Author: wistletown

All i will be given is the GIA certificate which states in the comments that the NWTXXXX number is enscribed on the girdle.
To underline what Neil said: Anyone can have anything engraved on a diamond. You could take the steepest, deepest, stone in the world, engrave "Ideal Cut Diamond" on the girdle, and the lab would note that on the report. (Frankly, I''m amazed this sort of thing doesn''t go on more often.)

Note that I''m not saying that''s what''s going on here, just that you can''t trust the inscription alone. Get the paperwork. If the stone is legit, it exists, and the vendor can get it for you.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
All in all, this is probably a Canadian stone but proof has been lsot because the people involved in the cutting or processing of the diamond was not part of the Canadianmark program. All things aside, whether it''s Canadian or non-Canadian, is this stone worth buying?

$23,156
G color, VSI clarity
GIA certified
Comment notes NWTXXXX is engraved on the girdle
2.01 carats
table: 56.5
depth: 61.2
cutlet: none
fluorescence: none
girdle: thin to medium
cut: very good (there is a comment saying "cut grade was affecting because of brillanteering")
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Crown Angles: 34.5
Pavilion angles: 40.8

8.18mm X 8.21mm X 5.00mm

william_v

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a Canadian Stone, see below:

http://whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-66481.htm

The stone is almost the same as yours. It has a same cutting grade and it looks really nice. The only thing I was upset with was that the gridle didn''t come polish. But everything else is great. Also the brillianteering actually helps the stone and if it wasn''t for that our stones would of gotten a EXCELLENT cut grade. You should also get a booklet with the stone that states its from canada. Mine came with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results