shape
carat
color
clarity

canadian diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

skc28

Rough_Rock
I have a few questions about Canadian diamonds:

1) Is there any advantage to buying a Canadian diamond in Canada (and bringing it to the US), rather than buying it at a jeweler here?

2) How do I know if the diamond is really Canadian in origin?

3) Which Canadian diamond brands are most reputable?

4) Does anyone know of any good places to buy certified Canadian diamonds in the San Francisco bay area?

Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are a bit of a hot fashionable thing at present, new and all that, and of known origin (ie not from Angola = may have paid for arms etc).

Because they are sold at a premium (ie they cost more) you will find evidence like a polar bear or maple leaf on particular brands laser etched onto the girdle.

Since 20-40% of the worlds diamonds will come from Canada in 10 years the novelty will wear off :)

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Garry,

I will have to put 2 cents on the price issue. I carry one brand that the ideals are priced very well. I can say they are priced very much like the non branded non Canadian ideals, but they are branded and are Canadian.

I have carried several Candian brands and this one is at least 10% less than any other Canadian brands I carried or priced.

skc28

Rough_Rock
Steve,

I am also curious about the brand of the diamond you mentioned. Also, is there any way to see one of your diamonds in Northern California before purchasing it?

Thanks,

SKC

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Garry,
She is doing fine and thanks for asking. It has been a long haul but we have reached the end. We have been blessed.

The brand is Canadia. I guess my question is where in Northern California are you? You have a big state there :)

skc28

Rough_Rock
I live in the San Francisco bay area. Thanks.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you are willing to drive up to Napa let me know. Please send an email as this is starting to get a little more personal.

chantelle

Rough_Rock
I live in Canada and went crazy trying to figure out all the different Canadian diamond brands and prices when I went shopping. My experience is that most Canadian diamonds carry a premium of 10% - 15%. The best diamonds come with a Northwest Territories Government Certificate. This does not grade or appraise the diamond but certifies it as being both mined and cut in Canada. I ended up dealing with Davidson Designs (www.diamondfile.com) and got a great engagement diamond that was an ideal cut with an AGS report.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
chantelle,

I hope their prices are in Candian money. I just visited their site and a one carat I, SI1 was quoted at $7,774. I just quoted a one carat AGS000 from the NWT and it was a G, SI1 at $5,800 including the shipping and 14 karat mounting.

I really don't see the 10 to 15% increase in NWT diamonds. Manybe some brands, but many are now on the market with more coming.

biscuit

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I live in Vancouver and had an opportunity during my shopping process to look at numerous Branded Canadian Ideals. I'm amazed, Steve, that your Canadian Ideals can compete with Ideals of unknown origin on the web! I found that the price was *significantly* more than 10-15%...maybe about that much more over other ideals in B&M but both were still *incredibly* more expensive than ideals on the web.

SKC28...I don't know if you were pondering headin up to Canada to check the rocks out, but diamonds and the border don't mix. I would think that even if you were to purchase a Canadian Diamond in the US, the price would reflect some sort of tariff or tax. I dunno?

Can I ask you, why Canadian?? I totally understand the whole not-wanting-to-fuel-wars angle, but is there another reason? In visually inspecting Canadians vs. others, I wasn't able to observe a difference...certainly nothing *visually* that warranted paying a premium. BUT, I think knowing your diamond is war free *is* worth a premium...just wondering.

Happy hunting all!! Have fun! ~

:praise:

Opticcurve

Rough_Rock
My understanding is that the labor standards are much better for people mining in Canada than in Africa. In my mind it's similar to avoiding sneakers made in sweatshops in Asia. For many people Canadian diamonds are the PC diamond of choice.

Opticcurve

Rough_Rock
Also, the diamondfile.com prices are listed in Canadian currency, and include the luxury tax (10%)--which you don't have to pay if you're buying from the US.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results