shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadian Diamonds

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to buy my first diamond for an engagement ring...help!

What is the deal with Canadian diamonds?

If I buy a diamond stone online, can I get it appraised?

Thanks!!!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duke1199|1405388516|3713372 said:
I'm looking to buy my first diamond for an engagement ring...help!

Personal preference. Less conflict, etc

If I buy a diamond stone online, can I get it appraised?

yes of course! There's even a list of appraisers at the top of the page under the Resources tab

Thanks!!!

If you can post your budget for the stone and the setting, what shape you are looking for, and any personal preferences of the wearer we can help you more. :)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Duke1199|1405388516|3713372 said:

Some folks will seek out Canadian because:

a) they know the point of origin, and can make assessment about
b) the ethicalness of the way miners were treated, however,
c) folks likewise interested in this might prefer to find a diamond whose origin is Africa, but where fair trade properties can apply. In this way
d) you move from doing less harm to doing some good

But this is very hard to find.

Ira Z.

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
Canada calling...

Canadian diamond mine operators are subject to the strictest economic, social and environmental standards as prescribed the our federal and provincial government, and are constantly looking at innovative ways to minimize their impact on the environment. As part of any decision on a mine, the restoration of the land post-life-of-mine is a major cost factor- one that we will certainly keep an eye on as Victor is set to be done by 2018- and not have ourselves another Jericho disaster. Substantial amount has to be budgeted for decommissioning of each mine site.

When you purchase a Canadian diamond, you know that it has been environmentally responsible and ethically-mined. The Ontario government issues a guarantee of origin for Victor Diamonds, and Dominion Diamond Corporation have recently re-launched their CanadaMark program which confirms each CanadaMark diamond's Canadian origin and/or provenance.

That being said- Canadian diamonds are spectacularly, beautifully brilliant.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Canada calling...

EmbeeDiamonds|1405466817|3714019 said:

Only if they are well cut. Just like any diamond from any location.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ecf8503|1405468180|3714040 said:

No.
In Canada diamonds come right out of the ground with perfect light performance.
They don't even have to cut them.
They also have color and clarity that's 2 grades better than the grades on their GIA reports.
They also cure cancer and assure eternal life to all who wear them.
If given as an engagement diamond the wedding is guaranteed to not end in divorce, and your children are guaranteed to get into the world's best Universities on full scholarships.
Best of all if you wear a Canadian diamond you will look 21 forever, and you'll never have to poop.

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
:lol:

I just turned down a Canadian diamond because of it's HCA score of over 5. It was a GIA xxx.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

True enough. FWIW, Embee is among the best.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1405469006|3714055 said:

No.
They also have color and clarity that's 2 grades better than the grades on their GIA reports.
If given as an engagement diamond the wedding is guaranteed to not end in divorce, and your children are guaranteed to get into the world's best Universities on full scholarships.
Best of all if you wear a Canadian diamond you will look 21 forever, and you'll never have to poop.
Kenny...No wonder your so full of S**T :!: .. :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:D

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

denverappraiser|1405470405|3714074 said:

True enough. FWIW, Embee is among the best.
Don't know if their among the best but definitely among the most expensive price per ct ...double the price of a top cut H&A stone... :-o

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
I guess with free universal healthcare Canadian Diamonds live a lot longer than the rest of them...in all seriousness (and childish snarkyness aside)...

In the proverbial ocean of sameness that is the H&A's "category", there are several companies that are doing it right, cutting (and/or marketing and selling) outstanding high performance, ideal (cut) brands that rise above the rest such as HoF, Infinity, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin etc- all brands and companies I personally have the utmost respect for- and all of these also happen to be (cut) graded by AGS Laboratories- the laboratory that we chose to work with on developing the cut grades for our various shapes.

Do we cut to the same standards when we cut H&A's- yes...all days and twice on a Sunday.
Do we cut to the same standards when we cut our proprietary shapes, yes we do.

Are we priced more than double the average "top cut" H&A? This all depends on a lot of factors...

1.) Let's revert back to origin. "Top cut" Canadian H&A diamonds- regardless of where they're cut and polished will always command a premium over other goods- that's part of the provenance that guarantees that these diamonds weren't benefiting illegitimate governments (Zimbabwe), rogue regimes and/or conflict. Unfortunately this is something that is no longer guaranteed by a flailing KP. It also guarantees that the profits of state-owned enterprises are used to annex other countries or regions.

2.) Let's revert back to the cut grades (as color and clarity is almost immaterial). All of the brands mentioned above are cut to the highest standards, and are graded accordingly- and it just so happens that they're all (cut) graded by AGS Laboratories.

3.) Let's get to design. There are countless diamonds shapes outside of the H&A's "category". Some of these are spectacular, and some of these are just "meh". Some of these are merely designed to be different. Some are designed to retain more weight. Some are truly incredible, high performance alternatives to traditional H&A's, but regrettably, the majority fall into the "meh" category.

4.) Let's talk a little about the cutting and polishing. I'm sure there are cutters and polishers on the forum- some own and operate ateliers or factories. Some of these are located in New York, Vancouver, Sudbury, Los Angeles, Toronto, Dallas and or Prince Albert- and a lot are located in Israel, India, China, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Belgium, the Netherlands- the list goes on.

Along with our fellow North American diamond cutters and polishers we proudly offer product that is Made in Canada and/or Made in the USA.

So if you're picking diamonds on a trade platform based on price- yes, we're probably a lot more than the average "top cut" H&A out there. If you're carrying a premium high performance H&A brand or proprietary shape (taking into consideration the 4 factors mentioned above), then you'll find that we're competitively priced.

I'm not here to talk about the merits of our designs or which brands or shape is better than the next- that's always going to be up to the individual making the purchase decision- and more importantly- the accredited jewellery professional presenting the various options available.

In closing,

"One could buy 'Diamond' as in material, or one could buy 'A Diamond' cut to the highest standard with honest color and clarity grading by a reputable grading laboratory. The final choice lies with the Customer. If price is the consideration, then you buy 'Diamond'. If quality is the consideration then you buy 'A Diamond'

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade

Thank you for the kind words Denver...

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Embee! I'm awaiting my purchase of a re-cut done recently by you and just got it's AGS000 grading! I can't wait and I've been told it's a WOW! I hope to have it in my hot little hands in a few days, maybe early next week at the latest. I'll post my own thread to share with everyone. First it will come loose, then I'll have to set it but hopefully that will be very quick as it will probably be in a simple Tiffany type setting for now. Sorry for the threadjack, as this is an interesting topic.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium

kenny|1405469006|3714055 said:

No.

Hmm ... mine is quite an under-performer :D

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
Lots of dialogue!

Where would I find Canadian diamonds?

Thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duke1199|1405560980|3714758 said:
Lots of dialogue!

Thanks!
Must... resist... childish... answer... :silenced: :???: :lol:

I believe that any of the PS-recommended vendors will be able to call-in canadian diamonds so I would check out the different vendors' websites and reviews on here and see which you like, then drop your preferred vendor a line :)

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
OoohShiny|1405595658|3714937 said:
Duke1199|1405560980|3714758 said:
Lots of dialogue!

Thanks!
Must... resist... childish... answer... :silenced: :???: :lol:

I believe that any of the PS-recommended vendors will be able to call-in canadian diamonds so I would check out the different vendors' websites and reviews on here and see which you like, then drop your preferred vendor a line :)

Thank you. I wasn't sure if Canadian diamonds were something that jewelers kept in stock.

Does every Canadian diamond come with a canada authenticity certificate stating the verity of the diamond and where it was mined?

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
I got my Canadian diamond from Bluenile. It is a Signature Ideal cut. It did come with all the paperwork and certificates verifying which mine it was mined from. It has the Canadian maple inscribed on the girdle.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Canadianness has 3 components.

Rough mined in Canada
Diamonds cut in Canada
Documented about one or both of the above.

There’s even some borders on that and it’s rather like the definition of ‘made in USA’. There’s always fuzzy borders. ‘Cutting’ involves several steps that may be done in different locations for example.

Canadian mining companies are welcome to sell their goods to anyone they want, just like everyone else. To the extent that they can find a local cutter who will pay them a good price, that’s great, but it’s fundamentally an auction system with most of them and if someone in India will pay more, that’s where it goes.

That’s where it becomes a little tricky. The various certificates you see mostly come from the mining companies themselves and/or one of the Canadian government bodies. If you mine a stone in Canada and sell it to someone in Belgium, is it still Canadian? By many of definitions no, but there is an entirely reasonable argument that it is. In fact intuitively it is. It's a rock. Someone found it in Canada. Why is this even a question? The same happens at the next step. If a Canadian cutter makes a killer stone out of a piece of rough that came from Russia, is that stone Russian or Canadian? Again, that depends on your definitions. The Canadamark people would say no, the mines certainly wouldn’t approve it, but the Canadian or the US taxmen will call it 'made in Canada' because that’s where it was manufactured. :confused:

Lastly there’s the whole marketing component. If someone names their company ‘Canada Rocks Eh!’, and inscribes it on the girdle of all of their stones with little maple leaves and polar bears and includes an embossed certificate of authenticity, does that make them Canadian? It’s likely but no, it does not, and it doesn’t even touch on the issues of what it means to be Canadian. If it’s important to you, the onus is on THEM to provide convincing evidence to back up their claim and to tell you exactly what they mean by it.

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
This is probably one of my favorite topics.

Apples exported to China and made into apple juice, cannot be sold back into Canada as Canadian apple juice. The reasons are obvious.
Similarly buying apples by the container load from apple-producing countries and turning them into apple juice does not guarantee that apples aren’t mixed, combined with other flavored fruit juices and/or added preservatives or other products.

In the same manner, apple pies made in China cannot be sold as American-made at your local box store.

Simply put. Just because it comes inscribed with a Maple Leaf or any other Canadiana- does not guarantee any Canadian provenance or origin whatsoever.

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
Interesting. I never even considered the things mentioned above. I honestly wasn't shopping for a Canadian diamond. One just happened to pop into inventory that had the specs I was looking for. However, for some people finding a Canadian diamond is very important to them. For those WANTING Canadian diamonds isn't the point of that to have it mined in Canada so they can be assured of the ethical and environmental practices in which it was mined??? Does it really matter where it was cut??? It's origin and method in which it was mined has remained unchanged. Not sure I agree with the apple juice analogy. I'm quite certain no additional ingredients were added to my diamond:) It isn't claimed Made In Canada, only that it's origin is Canada.

I agree, having a Canadian Maple inscribed on the girdle doesn't make it Canadian (I didn't say it did). I think you need certification on where it originated and where it was mined.

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
Thank you.

My definition of Canadian diamond would be "roughed mined" in Canada as the place of origin. After my brief research of diamonds, I do appreciate the Canadian diamonds being conflict free. I just didn't know if people were scamming Canadian diamonds with fake letters of authenticity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results