shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadian Diamond Excise - can it be eliminated?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
From Idex, Friday, October 1, 2004:

The Canadian government is unlikely to soon adopt vital tax changes recommended in a report on ways of developing the country’s diamond sector, according to a federal government official.

There is strong industry support for abolishing excise tax on jewelry and encouraging Canadian diamond manufacturing via royalty incentives but neither reform will be adopted in the near future, said Bob Paget, of the Indian and Northern Affairs ministry.

The governments of the Northwest Territories and Quebec published a national diamond strategy on Friday prepared on behalf of all the country’s provinces and territories.

Among its recommendations are dropping the excise tax on jewelry, which jewelers say makes Canadian diamonds cheaper to buy overseas than at home.

In addition, the report says a scheme that helps junior mining companies raise money for exploration should be made permanent, and that diamond manufacturing should be encouraged by royalty and tax incentives.

The Indian Affairs ministry has pushed for the abolition of the excise tax issue for the past six years as well as the scheme to raise exploration money but without success, Paget said.

The federal government is even more unlikely to adopt the changes since it was not consulted during the writing of the report despite all the recommendations involving the central government.

Mike Vaydik, of the N.W.T. and Nunavut Chamber of Mines, said many of the proposed changes would inevitably not be adopted without the federal government’s input and support.

One of the main proposals in the report, aimed at advancing a coordinated approach to Canada''s growing diamond trade, is the setting up of a national diamond council to deal with overarching issues, such as diamond certification, security and the training of diamond manufacturers.

Such a council would include representatives from provincial governments, diamond firms, aboriginals and a variety of non-governmental organizations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This would be the time for residents of Canada to put some pressure on the powers that be to try to eliminate that excise tax on diamonds sold in Canada. At present the tax is paid by dealers in Canada and customers in Canada regardless of whether they purchase their diamond from a store in Canada or from one of us on the internet... The interesting thing is that this tax is a remnant from a luxury tax for which all other items placed under the tax are no longer subject to the excise tax, but diamonds remain as a taxed item. Seems kind of bogus to us.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Niceice,

Good article, and I agree. We get taxed a wicked amount as it is, even without that excise tax. I, too, think it's bogus.

grandpa witty

Rough_Rock
Totally agree.
In average, half of all our earnings goes to tax. And big time major portion of the money is wasted on so many aimless inefficient projects and bureaucracies.

But hey, although the excise tax doesn't make sense, it still costs me less to buy the diamond online from the US than B&M or even online in Canada.

Cynthia

Rough_Rock
I agree. The prices here in Canada are insane. It appears cheaper to buy online and have a "friend" bring it over.

I work for the fed's, I have no problem doing this. I see where my tax dollars go first hand !!!!

1.gif

grandpa witty

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know whether the Canadian federal excise tax is only applied to the diamond or including the setting where the stone is mounted on?
I'll be bringing a diamond ring from the US and it can save me few bucks if the excise tax is only applied to the diamond.
Any input is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results