shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadian diamond and GIA inscription

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can someone please enlighten me on the Canadian diamond and GIA inscription? The diamond in question is categorised as Canadian diamond, and if you click on the Canadian icon, you see name of mine and serial number. There is an arrow pointing serial number to diamond girdle (if my description is lousy, please click on the icon and look at the cert/report). So this means serial number from the Canadian mine should be on diamond girdle right? Yet, on GIA inscription, there's only GIA cert number, no Canadian mine serial number. Any idea why that is so?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-617185

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not seen a GIA or AGS report that notes any inscription that is not performed by the lab itself.
And I cannot see why GIA would do this, unless it is requested. Inscription is not a grading criteria. In addition, any mis-reading or documentation of an inscription becomes their liability. In fact, GIA charges for inscription service, which includes registration of the inscription into their database. Documenting any existing inscription is doing a part of this service for free...

If you see AGS report, their wording is more clear "AGS000000000 has been inscribed on the girdle of this diamond"

sharonyanddave

Rough_Rock
flyingpig|1447911776|3951617 said:
I have not seen a GIA or AGS report that notes any inscription that is not performed by the lab itself.

Not True, the lab simply reports the inscription. That is why some vendors put Hearts and Arrows on the girdle and the lab will copy it and the customer may think the lab determined it to be Hearts and Arrows which isn't true. In this case GIA put H&A as an inscription and that is not something they graded or determined.

Why they don't put the other inscriptions (if present) is not something I can speak to it should be addressed to the lab.

glitzandglamour

Rough_Rock
Any inscription present on a stone should most definitely be added to the comments on the report. Maybe the inscription has been removed? Or GIA could have simple forgot to add the comment. Since there is no plot on Dossier reports, less time is spent on stones.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sharonyanddave|1447947175|3951734 said:

Not True, the lab simply reports the inscription. That is why some vendors put Hearts and Arrows on the girdle and the lab will copy it and the customer may think the lab determined it to be Hearts and Arrows which isn't true. In this case GIA put H&A as an inscription and that is not something they graded or determined.

Why they don't put the other inscriptions (if present) is not something I can speak to it should be addressed to the lab.

The lab will report exactly what was inscribed on the stone as a way of identifying the diamond specifically at the time it was graded. And it is true that GIA is not validating any representations as to origin or H&A.

In relation to the bold, they do not omit inscriptions (intentionally) from the report. So in this case the Canadian serial number was not inscribed on the stone when it was submitted. This is an issue that should be taken up with the vendor as there is some reason for the descrepancy between what the vendor is representing and what the GIA cert is reporting.

If the diamond does now have the Canadian serial number physically inscribed it needs to go back to GIA for an update. If not, then you are owed an explanation as to why the website indicates that serial number would be inscribed yet it is not.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1449012735|3956172 said:
sharonyanddave|1447947175|3951734 said:

The lab will report exactly what was inscribed on the stone as a way of identifying the diamond specifically at the time it was graded. And it is true that GIA is not validating any representations as to origin or H&A.

In relation to the bold, they do not omit inscriptions (intentionally) from the report. So in this case the Canadian serial number was not inscribed on the stone when it was submitted. This is an issue that should be taken up with the vendor as there is some reason for the descrepancy between what the vendor is representing and what the GIA cert is reporting.

If the diamond does now have the Canadian serial number physically inscribed it needs to go back to GIA for an update. If not, then you are owed an explanation as to why the website indicates that serial number would be inscribed yet it is not.

I meant to come back to update but forgot till I saw this thread again.

Hi TL, you're correct in that the inscription was done after GIA certification. I was told that as such, the buyer will receive 2 certs: GIA and the cert mentioning it's a Canadian diamond. I'd have preferred to have the Canadian number in the GIA cert too for completeness sake in event of resale. If there's no intention to resell, I guess I'm fine with the current arrangement. HTH those looking for Canadian diamonds. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results