shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadian buying a diamond from the USA

LesleyF

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I live in Toronto, Canada. I have my eye on a diamond & setting on the Blue Nile site. I notice that it says "duty free" next to it. Has anyone bought and shipped a US diamond to Canada and NOT been charged duty/sales tax?

Thank you!!

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have bought several diamond items from the U.S., including some from Blue Nile. You won't pay duty if the item originates/is manufactured in the U.S. due to the free trade agreement. Blue Nile does sell some jewelry items that are manufactured outside the U.S., so on those items you will be charged duty. They always show this on their pricing so it's never a surprise. You can't legally avoid paying provincial sales tax. Blue Nile will include the 13% on your invoice before shipping, so you won't have any balance owing when Fedex delivers. Other vendors may not charge the sales tax up front (Whiteflash for example) so this will be calculated at customs and you will either have to send the sales tax payment to Fedex (or other shipper) before delivery or will pay at delivery. Hope this helps and good luck!

LesleyF

Rough_Rock
Thanks SO much for that info. I really appreciate it!

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
Depending on your province- you'll either pay HST/GST- that's all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results