shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadian Buying a Diamond from the US (please help me pick one of these two)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker 1st time posting. I''m going to be buying a stone hopefully in the next couple days. I''m in Canada but it seems like the price just can''t be beat to have something shipped from the US.

The 1st stone is
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=551

0.67ct/SI1/I color. I really like these guys. Just about everything I''ve learned has come off Niceice.com seems like a nice stone and its at the upper end of my price range.

the second stone is
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_Round_Diamond-143/Loose_Round_0.7_Carat_I_Color_VS2_Clarity_diamond-251522.html

0.7ct/VS2/I color

Both diamonds are similar in price, and its at the point that I just cannot decide, if there is anyone out there who has any input on what might be a better choice please help me out. Thanks a lot.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Hi fellow Canuck! (I''m in Vancouver) I''m not a diamond expert at all so afraid I can''t give you any advice about either stone but just wanted to say that I am having a ring made in New York and before I went ahead with it I checked with Canada Customs and found out that under NAFTA, any JEWELLERY made in North American that comes into Canada is duty free, but I don''t know what the rules are about loose stones. When my boyfriend brings my ring in, he will have to pay GST and PST on it (which will be enough of a ding) but thankfully no duty.

Just wanted to throw that out there because I''ve had duty charged on things before that came in from the US and it was pretty hefty (it actually negated the savings I got from buying it there).

Are you getting only a loose stone or having it set?

- Jodie -

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Well, I was kind of wondering about that. I wanted to have it custom made here in Edmonton. But that hinges on duty. If I have to pay duty on the loose stone I may just end up getting it made into a ring because of course I just keep increasing my price range and really can''t afford another 10% or so!

Thanks for the info on duty for rings

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're both very nice. The .70 I VS2 might be more fiery (firey?) than the .67. It's a really good example of a stone with high crown angle, thin arrows, and no real loss of spread. I believe you don't pay duty on loose stones.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 2:14:16 AM
Author: JulieN
They''re both very nice. The .70 I VS2 might be more fiery (firey?) than the .67. It''s a really good example of a stone with high crown angle, thin arrows, and no real loss of spread. I believe you don''t pay duty on loose stones.
Ditto.

Welcome rfrads!

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Thanks,

That was actually one of my concerns about the 0.7, is the higher crown angle okay because the pavilion angle is a little bit lower?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 8:48:50 AM
Author: rfrads
Thanks,

That was actually one of my concerns about the 0.7, is the higher crown angle okay because the pavilion angle is a little bit lower?
Yes, a bit of give and take here with the angles can work well, generally there is a bit more flexibility with the crown angle than the pavilion. The diamond in question falls within fiery ideal cut range ( FIC abbrev.) and as a result can show increased fire if the lighting conditions are conducive.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I live in Calgary and have done my fair share of buying across border--Infinity diamonds included. The "excise" tax otherwise known as "duty" was dropped in 2006. Hence, you pay the only the GST in AB. Our dollar is not very strong right now, and the GST is on the exhanged rate.....

Where were you thinking of having it set? Have you checked out many places in Edmonton for diamonds and settings? (I used to live there....)

cheers--Sharon

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They''re both very nice. The .70 I VS2 might be more fiery (firey?) than the .67. It''s a really good example of a stone with high crown angle, thin arrows, and no real loss of spread. I believe you don''t pay duty on loose stones.
It is one of my regular discussions with Garry Holloway, where I take the position that FIC does not exist. I think that it is one of these ''old adagios'' of the trade that somehow survives.

Live long,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 10:51:24 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

It is one of my regular discussions with Garry Holloway, where I take the position that FIC does not exist. I think that it is one of these ''old adagios'' of the trade that somehow survives.

Live long,
I on the other hand take Garry''s side because I have seen it with my own eyes.
The difference is not huge however.
It is a valid way of cutting a high performance diamond.
If you want an increase in fire the shorter lgf% of a "transitional" or oec make a far greater difference than a tic to fic crown height.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
As far as the 2 diamonds go either one should knock you socks off in the right lighting.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with you, Storm, that the pavilion has a much bigger effect than the crown.

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 10:45:22 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I live in Calgary and have done my fair share of buying across border--Infinity diamonds included. The ''excise'' tax otherwise known as ''duty'' was dropped in 2006. Hence, you pay the only the GST in AB. Our dollar is not very strong right now, and the GST is on the exhanged rate.....

Where were you thinking of having it set? Have you checked out many places in Edmonton for diamonds and settings? (I used to live there....)

cheers--Sharon
I have looked at loose diamonds in Edmonton just so I know what I am looking at when I see something online. Prices in Edmonton are at least 50% higher on similar diamonds (exchange and shipping factored in).

I was thinking of having the ring made at concept jewelry in St. Albert. I really like the look of some of the square shank settings Carmen offers

I sure wish I would have been looking for a diamond about 6 months ago when the dollar was better...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 11:42:24 AM
Author: rfrads

Date: 1/30/2009 10:45:22 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I live in Calgary and have done my fair share of buying across border--Infinity diamonds included. The ''excise'' tax otherwise known as ''duty'' was dropped in 2006. Hence, you pay the only the GST in AB. Our dollar is not very strong right now, and the GST is on the exhanged rate.....

cheers--Sharon
I have looked at loose diamonds in Edmonton just so I know what I am looking at when I see something online. Prices in Edmonton are at least 50% higher on similar diamonds (exchange and shipping factored in).

I was thinking of having the ring made at concept jewelry in St. Albert. I really like the look of some of the square shank settings Carmen offers

I sure wish I would have been looking for a diamond about 6 months ago when the dollar was better...
HI:

I am familiar with Carmen; nice store! Will she set your loose stone (some stores have certain policies about setting stones not bought from them...)

Have you check out DAvid Keeling Fine Jewellery?

cheers--Sharon

rfrads

Rough_Rock
They said there is no problem bringing in my own stone. And yes she has a very nice store I really like that I am able to deal with them without the trouble of going downtown!

I looked at David Keeling. Very nice stuff I may have to get in tough with him! Thanks for the information. This ring/diamond hunt is turning out to be quite fun.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results