shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you write in CURSIVE? be honest now!!

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Dancing Fire, Aug 21, 2019.

1. doberman
    Brilliant_Rock

by doberman » Aug 21, 2019
    I used to have really nice penmanship in grade school, one of the best in class. Now I rarely use it and it looks like a mess.

2. redwood66
    Ideal_Rock

by redwood66 » Aug 21, 2019
    When I write or take notes it is in a semblance of cursive, actually a combination of printing and cursive with no rhyme or reason why I do it that way. My kids were not taught cursive in school (both 27) and the military requires printing if you have to write anything at all. They did learn typing in HS though which was helpful. Even their printing is terrible.

The worst handwriting/chicken scratch I have ever seen is by MDs and the best is by civil engineers.

Arcadian likes this.
  3. Tekate
    Ideal_Rock

by Tekate » Aug 21, 2019
    Yes. Nuns taught me at age 7

4. GliderPoss
    Ideal_Rock

by GliderPoss » Aug 21, 2019
    Absolutely! Grew up in the late 80's and I write everything in cursive but it's not very neat to be honest... :shifty:

If I'm trying to write very clearly or neatly (say an address label) - only then would I use block letters!

5. sarahb
    Brilliant_Rock

by sarahb » Aug 21, 2019
    Grade school in the 60’s, so I learned cursive.

Dancing Fire likes this.
  6. LinSF
    Shiny_Rock

by LinSF » Aug 21, 2019
    Nope, I can't write cursive. And I can't type properly either as I grew up right after keyboarding classes were given. How ever do I survive?! Ha

7. Tacori E-ring
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Tacori E-ring » Aug 21, 2019
    That's all I do. I love cursive.

8. marcy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by marcy » Aug 21, 2019
    Yes, I write in cursive. It's decent but I need lines or I go crooked.

9. secretagentlaura
    Shiny_Rock

by secretagentlaura » Aug 21, 2019
    Sure, I learned in the 1980's. My high school kid also writes in cursive, but my 10YO doesn't much beyond practicing her signature. She's been taught keyboarding instead, which is more compatible with her learning disability.

10. Wink
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Wink » Aug 22, 2019
    I was in my mid thirties when I got my first computer, so yes, I read and write cursive. I think all of my grandkids do too, but I reserve the right to be wrong about the youngest.

Wink

Dancing Fire likes this.

11. Daisys and Diamonds
    Brilliant_Rock

by Daisys and Diamonds » Aug 22, 2019
    i have this thing called dysgrapha
    no one knew about it when i was at school
    my handwritting just got labeled as lazy and i got Ds. i was always in trouble come report time
    something i only recently found out and feel free to laugh
    but it hurts physically to write neat
    i always found this but knew better than to tell a teacher that - but its actually a part of it along with not being able to spell despite being able to read no problem
    my handwritting is getting even worse but modern techknowledgy on this case, really is my friend

we just called that writting when i was at school and it sloped. maybe about the same time we started to write in pen and not pencil
    i write in block capitals since high school because its more legible (just)

luv2sparkle and Mamabean like this.
  12. Wewechew
    Brilliant_Rock

by Wewechew » Aug 22, 2019
    Yes, I can still write cursive. I don’t, because I have awful handwriting- legit I’ve been asked if I was a doctor on several occasions :roll:

I think it’s sad the younger generations won’t be learning it.

violet3 likes this.
  13. Begonia
    Brilliant_Rock

by Begonia » Aug 22, 2019
    Of course! Is it necessary...?

14. Arcadian
    Ideal_Rock

by Arcadian » Aug 22, 2019
    I talk in cursive if that counts :mrgreen2: My years of typing has all but destroyed my penmanship. If I write something down and don't remember what it was while its hot, I'm in trouble.

Daisys and Diamonds likes this.
  15. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Aug 22, 2019
    Used to write cursive but was told to "print" during written exams so that the examiners grading my papers won't get frustrated trying to make heads and tails of my writing and give me a lower grade due to frustration. Over time, I've come to exclusively write in "print".

16. Asscherhalo_lover
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Asscherhalo_lover » Aug 22, 2019
    Born in the mid 80's and I absolutely learned and still use it when I actually write anything (not often I admit).

17. Calliecake
    Ideal_Rock

by Calliecake » Aug 22, 2019
    Yes. I print more often then write cursive.

18. violet3
    Ideal_Rock

by violet3 » Aug 22, 2019
    I was born in the 70s, so of course we can all write in cursive, which is a lost art. I teach college students, and many of them cannot.

19. Daisys and Diamonds
    Brilliant_Rock

by Daisys and Diamonds » Aug 22, 2019
    not having kids of being close to school age kids i had no idea writting had gone out of the syllabus

20. Poodles4me
    Shiny_Rock

by Poodles4me » Aug 23, 2019
    Me three! I actually didn't realize this style had faded away. I will use cursive or a combination (I think it's the "joined up" style that Snowdrop mentioned). I only print when addressing an envelope or package or filling out a form. My printing is far worse than my writing because my brain automatically tells my hand to add little loops and tales.

Edited to add: In reply to the post #27 by @lyra

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  21. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » Aug 23, 2019
    Our DDs were born in the 80's :think: wonder if they know how to write in cursive.

22. distracts
    Ideal_Rock

by distracts » Aug 23, 2019
    Yes - I probably use cursive more often than print, now. When I was younger it was harder to write in cursive but it turns out I was just never taught properly. In college I re-learned and have had neat, non-messy handwriting ever since. In school they didn’t teach us to write using the shoulder muscles and keeping the arm and fingers still - but that is really the superior method. I used to write using mostly my fingers and it hurt and my hand would cramp and my letters would get all jammed-together and it was messy. ALL of those problems were solved by learning to do it properly. My notes from college were consequently a lot better than those from high school - both more legible and more thorough since I could write all day without pain and write faster.

I really wish I had fancy cursive writing like when you look at letters from the revolutionary war... so many swoops and swashes. But it is a rounder version of the standard Palmer cursive. I refuse to do that Q though.

23. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

My upper case Q looks like this...

upload_2019-8-23_0-8-59.jpeg

Your Q looks like this one?
    upload_2019-8-23_0-11-5.jpeg

24. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

24 yrs old???. WoW!, You are a rarity ...:clap:

25. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

My grandpa used to strike me on top of my head with 2 of his knuckles if I did one wrong stroke writing a Chinese character. OUCH!

26. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Aug 23, 2019
    My mother sat next to me with a pair of scissors when I was practising piano to make sure my pinky wasn't sticking out. Also a ruler to rap my hands if they weren't in the right shape when playing the piano.

27. stracci2000
    Ideal_Rock

by stracci2000 » Aug 23, 2019
    This example seems accurate to to what we were taught. All the letters were really slanted with lots of loops.
    Check out that Q! The end stroke goes below the line...snazzy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  28. kayla17
    Brilliant_Rock

by kayla17 » Aug 23, 2019
    We all write in cursive a little. At least when we sign our signatures. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t sign their signature in cursive.

29. LJsapphire
    Brilliant_Rock

by LJsapphire » Aug 23, 2019
    Hi (not been here in a while!)
    I write in cursive and my son is learning (he’s nearly 10).

Dancing Fire likes this.
  30. luv2sparkle
    Ideal_Rock

by luv2sparkle » Aug 23, 2019
    @Daisys and Diamonds,my youngest has dysgraphia. His writing is a little better because we took him to a therapist who specialized in it for a couple summers. I can’t tell you how many teachers thought he was just sloppy and lazy.

I almost always write in cursive. My handwriting is pretty good and I often get compliments but I usually don’t its as good as others say. I look at it and think it’s messy. I had typing classes wayback in high school. At my school you could take it for three years! I loved my IBM selectric! I usually typed all my kids school papers until #4 because he had his own computer. The other s used the house computer. I could type them in just a few minutes without looking at the screen or my fingers. I don’t get that much practice these days, so I am not sure I could do that anymore. Not as good on an iPad or similar device because you can’t feel the keys.