shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you wear a WG ring next to a platinum ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a plat solitaire, and am ordering a shared-prong eternity band, where you mostly see diamonds, and very little metal (like the Memoire shared prong). Since it''s less expensive to have the piece made in WG, should I do that instead of platinum?

Can you wear a WG ring next to a plat ring? Will damage occur to either metal by wearing them side by side?

Also, is it possible to rhodium plate and eternity band? I don''t know what the process is like - is it bad for the diamonds?

Thanks!

concun

Shiny_Rock
My SIL has been wearing it that way the past 5 yrs with no problem at all. You can''t even tell the difference b/w 2 rings.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
hi vesper- from what i''ve read and input i''ve gotten from jewelers, the platinum would eat away at the gold and it''s not recommended to wear those two metals side by side. however, i''m wondering to what extent and how extreme it''d be (i remember reading that diamondseeker''s mom wore both metals for years and there was no damage). i have both plat and gold pieces that i''ve thought about wearing together but have been hesitant to do so because i don''t want to wear away my WG rings.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One will wear away at the other or both rings will wear away eachother. It does not matter if they are the same metal or different. The softer metal, usually platinum, but not necessarily, will be the one worn a bit faster. I always suggest that if you always wear them together, have them tack welded or tack soldered under the finger and they will not rub eachother, nor wear eachother away at all. The tack can be removed with no real damage any time it has to be worked on for sizing or prong re-tipping, etc. It isn''t so much they are next to eachother, but that the eternity revolves around and rubs the other which nearly always faces up.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have two right hand rings I wear. They are engraved bands. One is plat and one is white gold, if you look really closely the wg has a slight yellow tin but it is really slight.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. Since my ering is plat, I just went ahead and ordered the shared-prong in plat. It''s only a couple of hundred dollars difference since gold is so high right now, so DH told me to just go ahead & get the plat so I wouldn''t have to worry about replating and wear.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 2:50:04 PM
Author: vespergirl
Thanks everyone. Since my ering is plat, I just went ahead and ordered the shared-prong in plat. It''s only a couple of hundred dollars difference since gold is so high right now, so DH told me to just go ahead & get the plat so I wouldn''t have to worry about replating and wear.
I''ll repeat what David Atlas said above - regardless of whether the rings are the same metal or not, they WILL wear each other if they are allowed to rub against one another. If they are both platinum of identical hardness they will wear out at the same rate, but the fact that the ering is standing still and the eternity band is allowed to revolve means the ering will show signs of wear sooner.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 2:16:35 PM
Author: sugar
hi vesper- from what i''ve read and input i''ve gotten from jewelers, the platinum would eat away at the gold and it''s not recommended to wear those two metals side by side. however, i''m wondering to what extent and how extreme it''d be (i remember reading that diamondseeker''s mom wore both metals for years and there was no damage). i have both plat and gold pieces that i''ve thought about wearing together but have been hesitant to do so because i don''t want to wear away my WG rings.
Wow, sugar, you have a good memory! But aside from what Dave already said, I think it depends on how the rings fit up agianst one another as to how much wear there would be. My rings have a flat, even surface against each other and there is minimal movement of the rings, so I don''t think I get much wear. But it sounds like the two metal issue is not the main problem.

vespergirl, I think you made the right choice! When I was looking at Memoire, the platinum was something like $800 more!!!! So I did go for the wg! But for a couple hundred more, the platinum is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results