shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you tell me about this cut?

Frogkick

Rough_Rock
Hi there! I'm a fan of old cut diamonds and think I've found my people! I just added a new ring to the collection and I was hoping to get a little more info about the center diamond from you guys.

Disclaimer - this piece was clearly well-loved and shows a lifetime of use (including a very well-worn prong and an accent diamond that has seen better days), and I don't imagine the center diamond to be one of the all time greats, by any means. I really like the idea of an antique piece that looks like it's been dearly loved for 100 years getting to take its next spin on my hand. I'm hoping to learn a little more about it like whether this is best described as old mine, old European, or something in between. Any idea of when a diamond like this would have been cut? Anything I should be aware of about the stone like obvious damage I'm overlooking?

The dimensions are 6.2 x 6 x 4.2. The seller estimated that at .65 carat and the sales associate at my local jewelry store (not a chain store, but I also didn't interact directly with the jeweler) eyeballed it at .75. Would that be your estimate as well? I found a calculator for OEC cut diamonds and it put the weight a little higher, but I'm wondering if this is more of an old mine cut and maybe that's why it doesn't conform to that OEC math.

Forgive the wonky photos, please. If I have a macro setting, I sure don't know about it! I improvised by taking photos with a loupe pressed up against the lens, which clearly wasn't ideal. I also had to dim the lights in order to get a good shot of the facets. Otherwise, there was too much light coming back to get a clean shot instead of a giant blur.

978D3CEB-BC72-464D-9502-50C7F90311A6_1_105_c.jpeg 38762014-93DE-4EFD-AE57-5E1C5A0C7C39_1_105_c.jpeg 29D4D783-3CB2-4B4E-AE01-709D3D36CB9A_1_105_c.jpeg 464B73CA-B42A-46CD-946D-D2D74BA0BCA8_1_105_c.jpeg

Attachments

• 5FC01BC1-0F6A-4CF5-9C85-0492BCE1B210_1_105_c.jpeg
    5FC01BC1-0F6A-4CF5-9C85-0492BCE1B210_1_105_c.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 41

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that is just gorgeous! Those are OEC's, mine cuts are more irregular shaped from my experience anyways. No idea about carat but looks to be a good size. If you have a ruler with millimeters you could estimate, calipers would be better and not expensive on Amazon.

Couple things, it could just be a reflection and I'm on an IPhone but the diamond edge around 9-10 is it chipped? Like I said, could just be a reflection. Please get the prongs worked on, as you noted it has been well loved (still looks great for age) but like 95% of antique and vintage rings I've seen, the prongs need re-tipping. Added bonus is the jeweler can tell you an approximate carat weight.

It is really a very lovely ring!

Frogkick

Rough_Rock
Hi StephanieLynn! Thanks for your response. Can you tell me more about where you are seeing that potential chip? I'm not catching it when I look through the loupe, but as I think you can tell from my photos, I'm clearly not an expert. :lol-2:

I'm attaching a better photo of the "fluffiness" of the crown. And another of the stone in case that gives you a better shot of the area you were wondering about.

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 11.44.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 11.44.36 PM.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check this area IMG_6879.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That side shot of the diamond is yummy! To me that diamond looks a pretty substantial size as well.

Frogkick

Rough_Rock
Hello StephanieLynn! Thanks for the nice words about the ring. I'm quite fond of it.

I did try verifying the seller's measurements with calipers. Keeping in mind that I'm worse at that than I am at photos, I came out with the same numbers as the seller. Sounds like it might be a very deep OEC, is that what you'd say?

I don't see a chip when I look through the loupe, but it's still scheduled for a trip to the jeweler who is way more skilled at finding chips than I am.

Here are two more shots focusing on that area.

Thank you for all your help!

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 1.56.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 1.56.40 PM.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, looks like just a reflection. Make sure to come back and update us on what the jeweler says, interested to see what the estimated size on the diamond is.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty! It looks like one of the shoulders might Ave been repaired with a yellow or pink gold - or is that just a reflection? If it’s not just a reflection, a rhodium dip might be in order.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and the main diamond is lovely!! StephanieLynn is right about it looking like OECs. I’d guess weight closer to 0.75 but that’s a guess and the only way to know for sure is to remove it and put it on a scale (which I wouldn’t do unless you needed to remove it for other reasons). It really is a stunning ring. Enjoy!

Frogkick

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for all your help! I appreciate it!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful! Congrats on finding a true stand-out! I love antique diamonds, and that one certainly looks gorgeous.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to add another voice to say your ring is gorgeous! The 2 accent stones add the perfect amount of contrast and interest and the overall shape looks like it would be very flattering on the hand. Congrats!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a super lovely ring and you nailed those pictures so don’t apologise! I have nothing useful to say other than wow and please feel free to post more pics

Frogkick

Rough_Rock
Thank guys! I appreciate all your knowledge and kind words!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results