shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you spot the problem?

sparklyjane

Rough_Rock
B395E5DB-3680-42BB-8A56-C9D199B40EA5.jpeg B34CB72A-A64E-42D7-827F-8F7118A7B933.jpeg hello all! I got my three stone engagement ring upgraded to add side stones to make it a five stone ring. I have just received it back and I am disappointed in what has been done. It is going to be a lot of effort to get it fixed I think (a friend of my dad’s did it, and I don’t want to offend anyone), so I am asking the experts if they can notice what is wrong or whether I should just live with it. Thanks in advance.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At a glance, I don’t see anything wrong that is glaring to me, but I don’t know what you asked for. For example, were the immediate side stones supposed to be bezeled or double pronged? :confused:

Might be more helpful to post straight on/down and straight side view pics if it’s something you suspect is structural/misaligned/etc.

sparklyjane

Rough_Rock
It’s the way the new side stones are attached. Rather than a claw setting, it’s a bar between the stones. What do you think? Noticeable or will I forget about it?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the way the new side stones are attached. Rather than a claw setting, it’s a bar between the stones. What do you think? Noticeable or will I forget about it?

Personally, I would have preferred all side stones be set the same - either all claws or all bezels - but we all have different opinions/taste. What did you ask for when you gave the jeweler your instructions? Was it in writing at all? Family friend or not, if I’m paying someone to do something, and it was clear & in writing what was to be done, then you should really give that person an opportunity to correct the mistake. They probably only want you to be happy, as that would probably result in good word-of-mouth advertising.

Sad to say, though, these ‘family friend’ stories rarely seem to end up with positive experiences (at least, in terms of what is posted on PS).

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have seen many similar settings and this is the way that I have always seen the setting done. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever scene side baguette's set with prongs.

In the 2nd photo the stones appear to be different colors, but that is really hard to judge from a photo because it could be the angle/lighting making it look that way.

It is a beautiful ring, but my preference would be for the "bars" to be a little less bulky

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe post a pic of your inspiration ring bc I don’t mind the bars. Do you think it makes the ring appear dated?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it adds interest to the ring but it is your ring and if you're not happy with it then you have no alternative but to try and fix it.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Did you specify how you wanted them set? If it wasn’t established that he would do prongs then he didn’t really do anything wrong. If you’re not happy and it wasn’t discussed, you shouldn’t feel awkward approaching your Dads friend. He will understand, it’s just business and it’s your ring. However, I prefer the look of the bars anyway.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I think its great. And I'm not sure I would have liked prongs. I think they would stick outing obstruct the line down from centre stone.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Would prongs be secure for the baguettes?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the way it looks with the bars, too. It's gorgeous but if that's not what you want, then you should get it changed. There's diplomatic ways to handle the conversation--"I really love it, but now that I see it in real life, I think I'd prefer prongs here instead of bars." If you had to tell him that his workmanship was defective then I could see it being an uncomfortable conversation, but this can be framed as a preference thing.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I’m another one chiming in to say that I like the bars just as they are ... it’s a beautiful ring!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have never guessed and I think your ring is gorgeous

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t see that as a problem. The far side stones seems much whiter than the other stones. Maybe that’s the lighting?

sparklyjane

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your inputs guys..you’ve raised some interesting points and I think I’ve come round to liking the bars! I do think they make the ring look very ‘art deco’ which I like..but I was worried they looked ‘wrong’ because the settings were inconsistent. You have put my mind at rest and now I can enjoy my ring!! Happy holidays!

sue011312

Rough_Rock
Your ring in beautiful. It was gorgeous before you added the baguettes but now it’s absolutely beautiful. I am thinking of doing the same to my ring. (Using yours as inspiration )Are you still happy with it? Is it comfortable? If you don’t mind, what size finger are you? Do you know the specs of the sides?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks fabulous. I love it and would love to own it. It’s interesting that you felt it should be prong set because I had a similar ring many “moons” ago and I was envisioning the baguettes to be bar set as is yours, but they were prong set and I was always unhappy with it. I haven’t had that ring for decades now, but when I see a ring with baguettes that are bar set I still get upset that mine wasn’t done right! So this is such an irony for me. As others have said, you should have it done the way you want, but as is it looks great. I am definitely feeling envious!!!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Classic art deco look! I like that that the bars are in keeping with the linear look. Congrats!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring in beautiful. It was gorgeous before you added the baguettes but now it’s absolutely beautiful. I am thinking of doing the same to my ring. (Using yours as inspiration )Are you still happy with it? Is it comfortable? If you don’t mind, what size finger are you? Do you know the specs of the sides?

This post is from Dec 2018 and that is the last time the poster was on pricescope. You might get a response but chances are slim.

sue011312

Rough_Rock
This post is from Dec 2018 and that is the last time the poster was on pricescope. You might get a response but chances are slim.

I know but I thought I’d try. Do you have any guesses about the measurements?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B395E5DB-3680-42BB-8A56-C9D199B40EA5.jpeg B34CB72A-A64E-42D7-827F-8F7118A7B933.jpeg hello all! I got my three stone engagement ring upgraded to add side stones to make it a five stone ring. I have just received it back and I am disappointed in what has been done. It is going to be a lot of effort to get it fixed I think (a friend of my dad’s did it, and I don’t want to offend anyone), so I am asking the experts if they can notice what is wrong or whether I should just live with it. Thanks in advance.

Nothing is "wrong".
You just don't like it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

IMO what is wrong is doing business with friends and family, for exactly the reason you posted.

I'd give it back and pay them (since IMO they've done nothing wrong) to make it the way you prefer.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know but I thought I’d try. Do you have any guesses about the measurements?

No, I'm sorry I do not. Who is going to make your setting? The Jeweler will help you pick out the right size stones for your center stone.
I can suggest David Klass if you dont have anyone to do...or depending on your budget Victor Canera, Maytel Hannah or Steven Kirsh.
(David is reasonable priced but still good...the others do more hand-cast and will be more expensive).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results