shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you show me some ideas for split shanks?

kt

Shiny_Rock
Finally! I sent my lovel peachy-pink spinel off to DanielM for setting. I've decided to give a halo a try, and while I first thought i'd use an LOGR setting, the one I got was waaay too lightweight and thin for someone like me - i'd probably snap it, or lose some stones within a month as I often don't remember to take my jewelry off and go running after my toddler. And it wasn't inexpensive after all the upgrades and customization! But when I put the stone in, i'm convinced a halo is the way to go to maximize the stone.

So I've decided for a white gold halo with white gold prongs (smooth on the outer edge), and either rose gold or yellow gold split shank - plain, without melee. Caren then asked me if I wanted something rounded or flat, but i'm not too sure, so would love your opinions or inspiration photos!

Here's a photo of my stone - I really loooove the color, it's unusual and just GLOWS in the light (it's precision cut). 9x7mm

Should I just go with a simple rounded split shank? should I have it "ridged" with some lines? Should i have them curve a bit? Do you think yellow or rose gold (leaning towards rose)? not sure if there were any other creative ideas out there? THANKS!!!

peach pink spinel 2.jpg

peach pink spinel.jpg

orange pink spinel 1.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'd go for rg with that stone, though w/care not to have it too rosy.

What about something like these, un-melee'd:

il_170x135.229730474.jpg

Image2.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if there's any benefit to having the shank rose or yellow when the center stone is being surrounded by a white halo. The purpose of having a rose or yellow metal placed right next to the stone is to play up or play down certain undertones. With a white metal and melees around the spinel, it becomes a personal preference to have a mixed metal setting because I don't think having either a rose or yellow metal will do much for the stone anymore.

I'm not sure what's a "ridged" split shank. I think having a bit of curvature is always a good thing as it looks more natural.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for the ideas!! I realize that while the gold is not right up against the stone, I was hoping when looking down on it the shank might still provide some visual interest...I think i'm going with rose (definitely not too pink!).

As for "ridged" --> I think I meant maybe "beveled" edge? Just to provide some interest and not make it TOO plain. I will ask Caren her opinions as well. and I definitely agree, curved lines would be nice...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results