shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you recommend a method to upsize platinum rings one size

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Hi, it's been awhile since I have worn my engagement and wedding rings. They are both sized 4.75 before kids, and I just had my finger measured locally so now I'm one size larger or 5.75. The jeweler said that it would cost about $150 to upsize one ring or $300 for both rings. I did not purchase my ring from him as I purchased them out of state, and I think doing it locally would be better as the person I purchased it from said that the labor and shipping the rings back and forth might cost more than what I would pay to have done locally.

The local jeweler said that he would have to splice in a little piece of platinum, and that is why the cost is higher than the locally advertised jewelers who do a generic ad in the paper for upsizing down or up one size for $30. He said he did not recommend that procedure where they just stretch and hammer down your ring as it would affect the integrity of the ring. He also said that I was more than welcome to shop around as we do not have a working relationship where I had purchased anything from their store in the past so he said even though the prices seems high that is what it would cost. I just found their store on yelp and it seemed like they had good overall reviews. They specialize in custom rings so I'm guessing they have good jewelry smiths.

I'm not sure how to go about it as it seems like I've read some posts from other pricescopers who have had the stretch thing done on their ring without a problem, but perhaps it was an easier job to do because it was not a full size up. I think I read Mara had it done by a local jeweler near her where they went up 1/4 the size, and she thought her ring turned out alright. Can you recommend any Bay Area jewlers or give advice on which method to upsize platinum rings one size is better: is the splice in more platinum technique better or is the stretch method okay as well?

Here are the links to the rings from Blue Nile which looks the closest to my rings:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_9720
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_9919

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Re: Can you recommend a method to upsize platinum rings one

Not sure about their prices on this but Joe Escobar in Campbell is generally a cepted as being very trustworthy so you may. Want to get a quote from them.

LGK

Ideal_Rock

I've always had my rings spliced to go up at all. For a full size I think that's more likely to be a good idea. The price doesn't seem outrageous. Especially since they specified that they'd work with platinum. Many rings I see at work (estate jewelry) have platinum sized up with white gold, which isn't very structurally sound- the bench I use showed me why once and popped the spliced piece of gold out of my antique platinum ring with barely any pressure at all, it popped right out of the shank :sick: . It's cheaper to do though, so it happens a *lot*. So, the fact that the jeweler you found is saying they'll size up with platinum sounds like a good bench, though if I were you I'd ask to see their sizing work if possible... a good sizing job should be completely undetectable, yet often it isn't done that well.

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock

Thank you Central Square and LGK for your recommendations. I will look into Joe Escobar, and I will look into the splice the platinum in method as it seems like it may be the better way to go. My husband said that if I was really worried about my rings, then I should go the old fashion way toward a solution which is to work out more so that my fingers might get smaller. He was just kidding, but that also gave me food for thought as I would really hate if the sizing job were to be botched. At least the jeweler was upfront with their method, and he explained that the job was closely tied to platinum rates so that is why it was higher than a $30 job which I can respect.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Jaded Gem|1312717672|2985783 said:
My husband said that if I was really worried about my rings, then I should go the old fashion way toward a solution which is to work out more so that my fingers might get smaller.

You husband is a brave man :lol:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

My office is inside a large jewelry repair facility owned by the Complete Jewelry Depot. They can size up rings like you have for $80 each plus shipping and provide a rapid turn around time. It is totally separate from my appraisal operation, but they do work for a major (very major) chain and have several bench jewelers, polishers, rhodium platers all working together to produce good work at highly competitive rates. No doubt, you could find someone closer who might also be more competitive, but few would be under $100 per ring. Glad to assist you if you want to go through the shipping process.

Don't allow anyone to stretch up a full size. They will become too thin.

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Oldminer for your expert opinion. Would insurance and shipping be pretty high since I'm dealing with an Eightstar in my ring that is almost a carat (we purchased a little under a carat to avoid that extra cost of having to pay the big jump for a full carat and larger) coming from San Ramon, California 94582? Would they insure the diamond and their workmanship as they are working on my two rings? So if any of the melee pave stones pop out would they fix that issue? I just want to get the best workmanship and my same diamond back in good shape. Have you done any work with them? I remember the jeweler here said that if the bench professional is good then they should be able to cut into the ring, stretch it out to insert the extra piece of platinum in, solder in the extra piece of platinum, and then buff and polish the ring so well that you can't tell if it was ever sized up. I'm guessing the person, over where you are at, would use platinum 950 for this operation right as my rings are both platinum 950? Too bad, you're not doing the work as I know you've been in the trade for a long time.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Shipping with Fed-Ex and a private insurer would run about $60 each way with $10K of insurance, as an example. Additional insurance costs more and less insurance costs less. I'm using $10K as an example. Only a member of the trade can supply this kind of Fed-Ex label for you to use. You can't use Fed-Ex and get any coverage for jewelry. Alternatively,m you could use US Postal Service Registered Mail. Delivery would be about a week's time and you can buy coverage of up to $25K depending on the value of the rings. The price is lower than Fed-Ex overnight mail, but it sure isn't rapid delivery. Registered Mail is VERY safe.

The steps you outlined are the ones a good jeweler would use to size a ring. Sizing a platinum ring, one tends to "weld" the piece supplied into the shank rather than solder it in, but both methods work. If a stone or two pop out, they are put back in securely, but it rarely happens on items like you showed in the photos when only 1 size is involved. Using 950 platinum is the norm in re-sizing. Using white gold is a less costly alternative, but the inserted piece will show a little immediately and more over time.

If I thought there was any problem with using any service I recommend, then I would never bother to make the recommendation. No one doing work in the jewelry business for 40+ years wants to hurt a hard won reputation by making a consumer suspicious of their ethics. Chuck Cassar, the owner of CJD, is one of those people who have been working in the business for decades and he has a very well run shop service. He carries well over a million dollars of coverage for theft and burglary. The chance of damaging the center diamond in sizing a ring like you showed in the links 1 size larger is zero.

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock

Thank you very much, Old Miner for the good solid advice. Do you have the contact information for the vendor you suggested if I do decide to go forth with this process through them or locally as it seems like it may be the same cost whether I do it here or there as I have to factor the shipping costs as well. Do they have a website? Thank you very much for your valuable time and advice. It is very much appreciated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results