shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you re-dip gold in white gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Halo

Shiny_Rock
I have a ring that''s done in yellow gold, and for that reason I don''t wear it. It''s a cute ring though and I would like to start wearing it again so I was wondering if it''s possible to have it dipped in white gold? I''ve read conflicting answers online and can''t seem to find any posts about it here on PS, so I thought I''d post and ask.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''d need to get it rhodium plated. That''s what white gold is normally plated in to get it looking so white when they are brand new. However, you''ll have to continue getting it rhodium plated as it wears off.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Rhodium plating is usually inexpensive, like $30-$40. I dipped my original ring for around 2-3 years. It usually lasted right around a year. The palm side of the band would wear off first. I prefer the whiteness of white gold over platinum so I ordered my upgrade in white gold too. It needs to be dipped soon but I''ve worn it for over a year.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Just one thing to add to the answers you already have - depending on how the ring is made, you may need stones to be unset. The plating relies on a liquid being able to touch all the metal parts of the ring. If you have channel-set stones or prongs/claws/bezels that sit right on top of stones, some metal part will not be touched by the liquid and won''t get plated. The jeweller who does the plating should be able to tell you if that''s the case.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
I had an old, yellow gold sapphire and diamond RHR that I never wore anymore. (I used to wear yellow gold daily, and then all of a sudden for whatever reason, I developed a skin reaction whenever I wear yellow gold now.) I took my ring to a jewelry store a few months ago and had it rhodium plated for $30. It turned out fantastic! Some of the yellow shows through a little bit if you look really closely underneath the setting, but when I wear it, you can''t tell at all that it used to be yellow. I showed it to my mom after I had it done, and she said that it looks better now than it ever has before. I don''t wear it every day, but maybe one or two times a week, now that it won''t turn my fingers black and matches all my other current jewelry. So far, I haven''t noticed any of the rhodium coming off. And the best part is that my skin doesn''t react to the rhodium! So I''ve learned that going forward, if I can''t afford platinum white gold is a viable option for me.

I say go for it! You''ll only be out $30 for what will look and feel like a brand new ring. Worst case scenario, if you don''t like it, the jeweler can take the rhodium off.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results