shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you please help me find a diamond with these specs?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I'm really unimpressed with my upgrade ring. I'm returning it but could use some help finding a good stone. I want something well cut with a lot of fire, at least 1.7 carats, colorless, VS 2 or better and eye clean. Budget is $5k. I can sacrifice the color but the last near colorless lab diamond I purchased had an underlying brown tint that I really didn't like. Thank you!

Last edited:

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Ring I'm returning.

IMG_20211217_202444908.jpg
IMG_20211217_202447475.jpg
IMG_20211217_202148420.jpg
Screenshot_20211130-191237.png

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That one has a fairly shallow crown angle and low crown height, so it will favor brilliance over fire.

For $5k, I think you can easily find a diamond that leans towards fire.

Here are some examples with fiery ideal proportions at James Allen:

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
That one has a fairly shallow crown angle and low crown height, so it will favor brilliance over fire.

For $5k, I think you can easily find a diamond that leans towards fire.

Here are some examples with fiery ideal proportions at James Allen:

My concern is the IGI grading. The last diamond I got from them was so far off it was pathetic.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
My concern is the IGI grading. The last diamond I got from them was so far off it was pathetic.

What were the specs of that one?

What I can tell you: I don't just look at the proportions and angles listed in the grading report. I also look at the diamond pictures/videos to see the amount of tinting, whether or not it has any issues such as striations (CVD method) or presence of boron (HPHT method), the overall crispness, and to see if there are any glaring symmetry or light return issues. :)

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
What were the specs of that one?

What I can tell you: I don't just look at the proportions and angles listed in the grading report. I also look at the diamond pictures/videos to see the amount of tinting, whether or not it has any issues such as striations (CVD method) or presence of boron (HPHT method), the overall crispness, and to see if there are any glaring symmetry or light return issues. :)

I, SI1, ideal cut. The diamond was literally brown, hazy, and dull.

Of the above diamonds, is there one you would recommend over another?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I also think my issue is diamond shrinkage set in the moment I opened the box. I'd definitely like to get the best bang for my buck carat-wise as well.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I, SI1, ideal cut. The diamond was literally brown, hazy, and dull.

Of the above diamonds, is there one you would recommend over another?

Think I found your thread with that I color.
It definitely has indicators that would prevent me from recommending it:
1. CVD I color
2. Near a 60/60 style cut
3. Cloudy areas in the inclusion plot

Is this the kind of diamond performance that you are after?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Think I found your thread with that I color.
It definitely has indicators that would prevent me from recommending it:
1. CVD I color
2. Near a 60/60 style cut
3. Cloudy areas in the inclusion plot

Is this the kind of diamond performance that you are after?

Eek, I definitely should have gotten recommendations before I bought it. It literally didn't sparkle one bit. I've learned a lot since then, or so I thought! I love the sparkle of that ring. I just also want something that will perform in the sun. I don't need a disco ball (I know RB isn't the right cut for that), but I'd definitely love some rainbow flashes.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Eek, I definitely should have gotten recommendations before I bought it. It literally didn't sparkle one bit. I've learned a lot since then, or so I thought! I love the sparkle of that ring. I just also want something that will perform in the sun. I don't need a disco ball (I know RB isn't the right cut for that), but I'd definitely love some rainbow flashes.

Sunlight + MRB with ideal proportions almost always equates to it looking dark while emitting fire, which is the nature of a diamond.
Best results for fire are usually seen in spotlighting type of environments such as direct LED or halogen lighting that isn't diffused.

Do any of the diamonds linked above stand out to you?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the 1.70 E VS1 with SKU 10534093 that @DejaWiz posted above.

This one will also lean fiery:

I like this one as well:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This one looks promising and has a GCAL report, but you'll have to contact TAoJ to ask for the report number so you can look it up at GCAL's website. I am not able to determine if it's a CVD or HPHT method without seeing the grading report, although it looks to likely be HPHT in the still shot. This may be one to also put on hold/reserve when you ask for the grading report number.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.62 JA stone looks great and I suspect will be very fiery.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all of your help! I really like the E VS1 and it's definitely a contender. I find JA to be a bit pricier than other vendors but I also understand they are one of the only with an upgrade policy. I also don't like their solitaire settings and I'm know I can source from other places, but would strongly prefer to have the ring shipped ready to wear.

I'm on TAoJ now and very intrigued.
What do you think of this one?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you've already been disappointed, I think its important to prioritize cut this time around. And an added bonus would be a trusted vendor to "vet" stones for you.

You can get both from Distinctive Gems. These 2 have tons of images, videos, etc, and are gcal certified which means you can trust the grade.

Edit. I prefer the 1.85 because you get the size bump and it still looks quite white (to me). Plus I prefer the proportions and it gets you below the 5k mark. Jon can also do settings.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all of your help! I really like the E VS1 and it's definitely a contender. I find JA to be a bit pricier than other vendors but I also understand they are one of the only with an upgrade policy. I also don't like their solitaire settings and I'm know I can source from other places, but would strongly prefer to have the ring shipped ready to wear.

I'm on TAoJ now and very intrigued.
What do you think of this one?

I love it. I think it's a winner. And their pricing is excellent too.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I love it. I think it's a winner. And their pricing is excellent too

Thanks. I'm trying to stay under $5k including the setting but that 2.02 looks pretty amazing too! Will the table inclusion on the one I posted from TAoJ be an issue? Or the peppering through the pavilion?

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I'm trying to stay under $5k including the setting but that 2.02 looks pretty amazing too! Will the table inclusion on the one I posted from TAoJ be an issue? Or the peppering through the pavilion?

My apology, as I fear that I misunderstood you. I assumed your budget of $5k was just for the loose diamond, so I made recommendations based on that, and when I saw that 2.05 at TAoJ for about $5.1k, I figured it may be something to pursue since you mentioned DSS earlier. Have you considered going with a basic presentation style setting to maximize the diamond budget, take care of the DSS, and at least have something to get the diamond on your finger? Reason I am suggesting to think about that route is that settings are a lot easier and cost effective to switch out in the future than solitaire diamonds, especially as diamond prices continue to rise.

Another PS vetted vendor that has an LGD upgrade program is Friendly Diamonds, although it will take some work to find a good HPHT diamond since they have a heavy mix of CVD in their online/virtual inventory.

Last edited:

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
My apology, as I fear that I misunderstood you. I assumed your budget of $5k was just for the loose diamond, so I made recommendations based on that, and when I saw that 2.05 at TAoJ for about $5.1k, I figured it may be something to pursue since you mentioned DSS earlier. Have you considered going with a basic presentation style setting to maximize the diamond budget, take care of the DSS, and at least have something to get the diamond on your finger? Reason I am suggesting to think about that route is that settings are a lot easier and cost effective to switch out in the future than solitaire diamonds, especially as diamond prices continue to rise.

Another PS vetted vendor that has an LGD upgrade program is Friendly Diamonds, although it will take some work to find a good HPHT diamond since they have a heavy mix of CVD in their online/virtual inventory.

By presentation, do you mean a simple setting? That is all I want; just a simple six prong.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all of your help. Would you recommend I keep looking vs. getting this stone?

Looks beautiful!
It falls smack dab into the balanced range for proportions, so expect a nice mix of brilliance and fire. My wife's anniversary diamond is almost identically proportioned.
The 14.5% crown height will likely have a minor impact on fire, so if fire is what you are primarily after, then I would suggest getting a diamond with fiery ideal proportions (40.5-40.6 PA and 35.0-35.5° CA) that had a taller crown around 15.5% maybe even as tall as 16.0% and a smaller 54-56% table width.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
This one looks promising and has a GCAL report, but you'll have to contact TAoJ to ask for the report number so you can look it up at GCAL's website. I am not able to determine if it's a CVD or HPHT method without seeing the grading report, although it looks to likely be HPHT in the still shot. This may be one to also put on hold/reserve when you ask for the grading report number.

Deja

My gut is telling me not to overlook this one for a few hundred more. They sent me the GCAL report. What do you think??

Attachments

• GCAL313220031 (1).pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 15

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Deja

My gut is telling me not to overlook this one for a few hundred more. They sent me the GCAL report. What do you think??

HPHT and GCAL 8X - that's a fantastic sign!
The 8X criteria for narrow proportion and angle ranges is probably the strictest amongst all grading labs, even stricter than AGS Triple Zero ranges.

Here's the link to the GCAL report, which does include various images/videos!

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
HPHT and GCAL 8X - that's a fantastic sign!
The 8X criteria for narrow proportion and angle ranges is probably the strictest amongst all grading labs, even stricter than AGS Triple Zero ranges.

Here's the link to the GCAL report, which does include various images/videos!

I'm pulling the trigger! Thank you!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'm pulling the trigger! Thank you!!

You are most welcome - I think you're making a wise choice and I really hope that you like the larger 8.17mm spread and find this one to be a keeper once you get it! Proportions that would make Tolkowsky blush with envy haha.

If, for any reason, you need to send it back: we will continue assisting to help you find some other great alternatives.

Really looking forward to seeing pictures and reading about your thoughts and impressions on it once it arrives to you!

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much! She's officially in production!!! And the best part, the total was $5100 after the promo codes. I'm pairing her with a JA 0.5 carat 7 stone (I'll probably end up going up in size to keep it proportionate).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much! She's officially in production!!! And the best part, the total was $5100 after the promo codes.

Wow! That's a heck of a deal...I think you are officially the new frontrunner for getting the best bang for the buck for going slightly over budget, and only $100!

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That's a heck of a deal...I think you are officially the new frontrunner for getting the best bang for the buck for going slightly over budget, and only $100!
Thank you so much for your help finding it. I can't stop watching the GCAL video.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results