shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you mix OEC and modern brilliant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
Would it be completely garrish, tacky, whatever have you, to wear a modern brilliant band with an OEC or OMC diamond? I''''m looking into buying OEC, but I love my present band and don''''t want to change it. The stones in it are almost 1.5 c each and there are 5, so it they are big enough that you would see the difference. Any thoughts? Thanks

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

This is a bit of a tough question. Whether you can pair your wedding band with an OEC or an OMC really comes down to personal preference. But, IMO, your wedding ring (you said it''s 1.5 ct X 5 stones?) is very commanding on its own and it would be a shame to have an older cut stone trying to compete with it. Older stones deserve center stage. . .

What size OEC or OMC are you considering? What about making the stone into a RHR?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, do you mean 0.15ct X 5 or 1.5X 5? I agree that if you have a band that is 1.5X 5, it is striking enough and adding more stones may be garish..

Edit: 1.5 each
...whoops

but still, I want to say that even at 1.5cts diamodns are still pretty small fellas and require alot of attention and awareness to really pick up on details. Most people won't look at a diamond and say, hey, one of those is an OEC! So I suspect most people probably won't notice anything amiss, but will only see a lavish ring flashing light at at them and feel jealous.

Edit again:

oh man, you said you DONT want to change your ring...I ought not to type up anything at 3am, just wasting time. I think it should look fine. If you have one or 2 or however many beautiful OEC diamonds performing well with a circle of 5 huge beautiful diamonds behind it performing well, how bad could it possibly look?

Obviously if one of them was performing poorly and just sat there like gravel or if for some reason one of them just stuck out like a sore thumb all by its lonesome--like say a 70% table next to some 49% tables:) then that might look bad. The key, I believe, will to create some symmetry to the overall set. As long as you can create symmetry in the overall ring amongst beautiful diamonds I bet you will be just fine, for those who ever notice.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
opps, im the one who needs sleep! i meant .5 each diamond, 5 diamonds total, its about 2 ct band total diamond weight. yea, that would be nice if they were 1.5 each! its also H color and the OEC im looking at is like L or N something, so i still dont know about the whole thing!

What size is the new one and what type of setting are you going to put it in? The only way to really know is probably going to be to look at it. But I still say that if it is a beautiful diamond in its own right you probably won''t have too much problem, or at the very least there should be some way to work via the setting to create a nice set out of it.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Isis. I own an OEC and I wear it with my wedding band which has small bezel-set 3-pointers in it, and my half-eternity, which has 5-pointers. They look fine together and sparkle nicely. The only issue I have with wearing my half-eternity with my OEC is the difference in colour. The eternity is F-G colour and the OEC is K-L. In some lighting conditions, the eternity band makes the OEC look whiter; in others, the contrast in colour is a bit distracting.

You mentioned that the OEC you''re considering is quite low in colour. You may want to put it next to your H colour band to see if you mind the contrast. I also think you will need a large-ish OEC (maybe 2cts?) to go with a 2ct band because OECs glow but they''re not very brilliant. You don''t want your band out-shining your beautiful OEC!

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
good point, my band is reallly sparkely, may it''ll out sparkle the OMC, not out sparkle, but just be too distracting. Actually the OMC im looking at is already set, its one from Fay Cullen and I havn''t seen it in person, so I don''t know much more about it than the pics and what the nice people there have told me via email. It''s over 2 ct and surrounded by a halo of rubies. Ok, reality, I''m NOT going to be able to wear all that stuff on one finger am I?!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
isis, I had a similar problem when looking for a wband to wear with my old cut. I tried on eternity bands at Tiffany and the likes, along with other stores who had designers that had nice, smallish eternity bands. But in the end I bought the smallest band I found - it was an Art Deco era eternity band with antique single cuts and to be honest, it looks like it was made for the ering. I think it''s because of the similarity in having old cuts all around. Now if you love love love your current RB wband, I''d take it to some shops that carry already-set old cuts and see how it looks with them before buying online. I''ve heard that Fay Cullen has horrible return policies (or none at all?) so be careful buying sight unseen there.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2007 1:36:54 PM
Author: surfgirl
. I''ve heard that Fay Cullen has horrible return policies (or none at all?) so be careful buying sight unseen there.
Yep, the following is FC''s return policy:

"WHAT IS YOUR RETURN POLICY?

Please note that this is essentially a wholesale site and as such, we are dedicated to selling at competitive prices. If you want a full-refund on your purchase, I might suggest you look for a retail-site. They will also give you a ''story'' with your purchase.

SPECIAL ORDERS: Every item of jewelry that is ordered is non-returnable & non-refundable due to the fact that it is made to order. For this reason, please check that all your diamond measurements are accurate and the settings are made to fit the diamond you have in mind.

Items purchased below $2,000

We will be happy to issue a store credit for any item that you are not entirely delighted with that you have purchased for under $2,000. Please call us within 24 hours of receiving the jewelry to let us know that you would like to return the item. We permit an additional 24 hours (48 hours if received on a Saturday) to ship it fully insured, in perfect condition, in the original box. A credit will be issued that may be used at any time.

Items purchased over $2,000

We offer a full refund less a $200 restocking fee. Please call us within 24 hours of receiving the jewelry to let us know that you would like to return the item. We permit an additional 24 hours (48 hours if received on a Saturday) to ship it fully insured, in perfect condition, in the original box. A refund will be sent within 2 business days, less shipping, any sizing charges and the restocking fee.

JEWELRY REPAIRS: Please note that any item of jewelry purchased from us is no longer guaranteed by Fay Cullen Inc. when a jeweler not employed by us has worked on it. This applies to stone setting, ring sizing and any major or minor repairs."

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
yea, i have to pay 200 bucks if i want to return it, which doesnt bother me as much as the fact that i only have 24 hours to make up my mind! btw, what color is your transition cut?

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
thats transition cut right?

well...I think its picture time.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
isis, my transitional cut is an I/VVS2, and the single cuts in my wband are G-I/SI1-2. The wband eternity ring is so delicate that you only see sparkle, and no noticeable difference in color, clarity or anything else. You can see a photo of both on this thread, look at the last few pages for the wband...

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/at-last-my-antique-ering-t61580.html

Why do you have to make such a quick decision? Cant you wait a few days and try to find some estate shops where you could see your wband with an OEC of similar color?

Date: 10/8/2007 1:35:25 AM
isis, my transitional cut is an I/VVS2, and the single cuts in my wband are G-I/SI1-2. The wband eternity ring is so delicate that you only see sparkle, and no noticeable difference in color, clarity or anything else. You can see a photo of both on this thread, look at the last few pages for the wband...

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/at-last-my-antique-ering-t61580.html

Why do you have to make such a quick decision? Cant you wait a few days and try to find some estate shops where you could see your wband with an OEC of similar color?

wow, that is an incredible set surfgirl. I thought I had seen it before, but apparently not. really something. I loved those flashes in the wedding dress to. Really awesome.

Though, your wedding band is 1.5mm right? and her diamonds are something like 4.5-5mm across? which would make a big difference on the visibility of color, not to mention that H-L/n is much more significant than G-G/I.

but, Isis, it is in a ruby halo right? Maybe that halo will create some contrast and separation between the two colors and prevent the color difference from having a major impact? I bet having that fancy color separation in between will help the overall look alot...that stinking return policy though....maybe you can fly out to where it is housed and have a look in person before you buy:)

I am not even considering a purchase at the moment and I am angry about that return policy
29.gif

but either way, like I said, it is time for pictures!
36.gif

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
i mean their return policy only allows 24 hrs to make up your mind once you have received an item from them. thats not enough time for me.

ok, heres a pic of the one i want...

rubyhalo.jpg

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
ok, jsut posted the one i want, now here is the band... i know, overkill, colors dont match, can''t wear them together.

i could get my husband to fly us down to see this ring in his plane, but he''s in iraq right now, which is why i''m NOT going to be able to get out and look at any jewelry right now. ive got an infant and a toddler here by myself. i cant even go to the grocery store without calling for backup!! so im either going to buy it and hope i like it, or not. i just have to do everything online right now. i guess im in no hurry, but as is my custom when my hubby leaves, i buy jewelry!

rrr1.jpg

Are you sure that the I1 is ok? I don't know much about FC, are they to be trusted on their evaluation of the appearance of the I1 clarity?

and the ring is 12.5mm long across right?

your diamonds, I assume, are something about 5mm across--which is a beautiful band by the way.

Now, this is just based on the picture above so I could have made some mistake, but I would guess that you have something along the lines of 17-18mm, if that much, of space from the base of your finger to your knuckle? So, it looks to me like it is going to fill up your entire finger from the base to the knuckle with your wedding band back as far as it can go, with about a 4 mm gap between your first shank and your second shand and about a 4 mm gap between your second shank and your knuckle. looks like a tight fit but it might just work?

if it did work I for one think it would look really nice.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2007 10:20:23 AM
Author: isis~goddess
good point, my band is reallly sparkely, may it''ll out sparkle the OMC, not out sparkle, but just be too distracting. Actually the OMC im looking at is already set, its one from Fay Cullen and I havn''t seen it in person, so I don''t know much more about it than the pics and what the nice people there have told me via email. It''s over 2 ct and surrounded by a halo of rubies. Ok, reality, I''m NOT going to be able to wear all that stuff on one finger am I?!
I love the ring you''re looking at, but that return policy is positively terrifying!
29.gif
When we bought my ring, which was an estate item, it took me a full 6 days just to get it appraised to see if it was worthwhile keeping. We barely made the *10 day* return or keep timeframe, and actually had asked for an extension because we are not in the US to begin with. So 24 hours would never work for us. I drool over the Fay Cullen site often though. I think you could easily get that setting done, with a stone from somewhere else. I''m not sure if it would go with your band in the sense that the band might be too high for the setting or whatnot. Your band is gorgeous just on it''s own. I wouldn''t let that stop you from pursuing the OEC and that setting though. Hope it works out, and can''t wait to see pics. Old cuts are my most favourite type!
30.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Okay, a couple of points now that I see both rings. First of all, the FC looks very yellow and your 5 stone is very white. Also, there's going to be a very big space between the two because if memory serves me, that FC style curves downward to the shank and your 5 stone will be sticking quite a ways out/away from it. I dont think it will look good and I dont think the contrast between the yellow OEC will look nice with your wband. I think you should wait. You're making an emotional impulse buy because your husband has gone on active duty. I can understand your being emotional but go out and buy something less pricey, like new ear studs or something like that!
9.gif
I also think that the style you like from FC is very popular and is quite easy to either find and/or have made up so I'd wait, and look for the OEC center stone that will look nicer with your wband. You have to see old stones in person to really know if they're right or not. Each one is different and they have different personalities. You can see two graded the same but one will be 'meh' and the other 'spectacular'!

ETA: If you want to have a project while your husband is away, why not shop in person for the stone, then once you find it you can find a way to set it so that it looks great with and compliments your wband..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, I think the stones in your wedding band (which is gorgeous by the way) are too big and there would be a noticable difference b/t your band and the fay cullen ring, also the color of your band and the FC ring do not look close at all which would bother me. I had a oec in a vintage repro setting with an eternity band made up of 3 pointers which are tiny compared to what you've got and I didn't like the contrasting looks, they are both beautiful but competed and the sparkle of the eternity band next to the shimmer of the pave vintagey ring and OEC stone just didn't look right. here's a picture and i promise there was even more of a noticable difference in styles in person:

questwband1.jpg

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
they had the jeweler take it out of the vault and inspect it for me to so they could detail the I1 rating. Gerard, FC employee, not the jeweler, said it could not see anything inclusions until the jeweler used a loupe to point out a crack near the culet under the diamond. He said it had lots of fire and the crack was completely unnoticable until you knew where to look, so I took that as something I could live with.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
Dear surfgirl, why are you taking all the fun out of life with your common sense!?
emwink.gif
no, seriously, you''re right, im being impulsive, but last time he left i got the band and i love that! (he''s not on active duty, he''s a private contractor). actaully, now im REALLY glad i posted this because you do have a point about OEC and the like having personalities, it''s better that i see one before i buy one. and, as someone else pointed out, a good return policy is crucial. and maybe i don''t need one that expensive anyway. good point. i have the studs issue covered, but maybe ill look around for some estate diamond chandeliers and satisfiy myself for now, until i can get out and see some OEC for myself. i did just buy a pair of modern cut diamond chandeliers on ebay to try and satisfy my cravings, i knew they would not be "steller" , i mean, its ebay, but as it turns out, i really love them and they were only 200 bucks! and to think, my favorite hobby used to be bird watching, i need to get back into that, it was sooooo much cheaper! (ps, please excuse my dirty nails in the pic, i was gardening! another hobby, a dirty one)

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
isis, honey, IT''S GOT A CRACK IN IT! Dont get it. I1 AND a crack? Walk away now. Quickly.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
oh, i better get educated. i didnt think a crack mattered as far as structural integrity. i thought it was just a part of the formation process and that it was quiet common. i don''t know where i got that info. well, there are plenty more choices out there. thank goodness for pricescope.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
all i see is beauty so i dont think youre proving your point!

Date: 10/8/2007 6:28:31 PM
oh, i better get educated. i didnt think a crack mattered as far as structural integrity. i thought it was just a part of the formation process and that it was quiet common. i don't know where i got that info. well, there are plenty more choices out there. thank goodness for pricescope.

Another word for "crack" is feather. though if he said crack it might be something more than just your ordinary feather. so,

It might be fine, it really depends on exactly what he meant. It sounded like he was grading it face up with a loupe and identified a common inclusion, a feather and that certainly doesn't necessarily mean any problems. It may or may not present problems, you just need to find out more about it and if it is actually breaking the surface of the diamond. But an I1 feather could be just fine, and might not be particularly visible face up either, as it would be an absence of material rather than a presence of colored material.

but, I agree that you might want to find some other way to spend this money for now:) and do some in person shopping later. Maybe subtract some money for a babysitter (or even 2 babysitters or some sortof daycare service that might have an open space for a little while)
27.gif
and then use the remaining funds on your diamond and shop in person. got to take care of yourself too!

Date: 10/8/2007 5:38:35 PM
isis, honey, IT'S GOT A CRACK IN IT! Dont get it. I1 AND a crack? Walk away now. Quickly.

Unless of course the I1 is because of the crack (feather).

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 8:00:17 PM
all i see is beauty so i dont think youre proving your point!
Isis, I assume you''re referring to Mrssalvo''s set?

Mrssalvo, I love, love, love that look! Do you have any more pics? I know you said the contrast is quite obvious in person, but I have a similar eternity band and I think that''s how I want my finger to look
1.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for a specific size center stone? I just saw a nice 1.4 G VS transitional here, for $6400. Lovely setting. I''d buy it myself if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results