shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you make a round look more like cushion?

cameeelia

Rough_Rock
I used to want a round but I realized that I don't like the perfect circle of it. Is there a way to have a cushion that is more rounded, or a round that is more square?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
You wont be able to find a round that is more cushion shaped- but you can put it in a cushion shaped halo, and some thing four prongs instead of six give it a more cushiony appearance.

cameeelia

Rough_Rock
No halo's for me, I'd just like a solitaire. I've seen some more rounded cushions around pricescope though so perhaps I just have to find the right one. If anyone has any photos, please post!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto.

What about the round/cushion do you like? The shape, the faceting? If you want a "roundish" cushion you also have other options -

BGD branded modern cushions -
1-BGDcushion.jpg

Branded August Vintage Cushions from GOG - you can get more or less rectangular ones, they have rounded outlines and big chunky facets like antique cushions
1-AVC.jpg

Branded square hearts and arrows cushions - squarish outline, light return and faceting like a round
1-Brellia.jpg from GOG

Or if you like a more angular shape there are the branded Jubilee and Princess of Hearts shapes
1-Jubilee.jpg 1-PoH.jpg both from GOG

cameeelia

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pictures Yssie! I like the first best. I like the round for everything, and I like the facets best. I just don't like the perfect circle of it. I am thinking of having my prongs more to the side to make it look less rounded.

cameeelia

Rough_Rock
Oh I like the H&A cushion, it just looks a bit too square for my tastes. The facets on it are what I like though, because they're like those on a round.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do a search for fishtail prongs... those will definitely give a square look to a round stone - they are a bit vintage looking but if you do a custom piece I bet you could figure out how to make them more modern.

Also - the halos that turn rounds cushiony don't have to look like a regular halo - they can be almost non existent on the sides and top/bottom and just fluff out the corners. But I still think look at a fishtail!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
file.jpg

There's one... but there are so many varieties - some are more subtle, others more elaborate. I do suggest more subtle because I think the prongs could get scratchy if they stick out too much. I've thought about using a version of this myself, but something sleek.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
file.jpg

here's another one, more subtle but not really sleek - it looks older and more worn but you could start with something a bit more smooth like this. far left picture...

cameeelia

Rough_Rock
chunckymonk.jpg

I'm not sure who's diamond this is, but what kind of cut is this? It looks like a cushion, but see how it's more round?

cameeelia

Rough_Rock
Cehrabehra- Not too keen on the fishtail prongs, as I don't want it to be too square. Thanks for posting the pictures though! I am going to be getting a Leon Mege most likely, just the classic solitaire setting he does. Ahhh <333

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen the AV rounds at GOG??

cameeelia

Rough_Rock
The shape of the diamond I posted is what I like, but I wish it had facets like a round hmmm. Are there any stones that aren't perfectly rounded?

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
kathleenparrish|1312457912|2983920 said:
The shape of the diamond I posted is what I like, but I wish it had facets like a round hmmm. Are there any stones that aren't perfectly rounded?
You could probably have a stone custom cut but I don't know ANYTHING about that - only that it's possible :)
How big are you looking at? You might look at the Old European Rounds - they are faceted just like what you posted above but many our out of round. I would post some links on oldworld but there are ~40 pages of stones ranging in size from .3 carats to 5! :) I suggest you call them or email and explain what you are looking for - they can provide you with video so you can see the stone's facet pattern and shaping far better than in their still photography.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
kathleenparrish|1312457912|2983920 said:

unfortunately it seems like what you want is an out of round shaped stone with modern day faceting perfection and that doesn't exist. At least I've never seen it in over 5 years here... you either have wonky or you don't. If you want a wonky outline, you're going to have to give some light performance and deal with an antique cut and all of it's chunky quirks. If you want it to have ideal perfection in its cut that only comes in uber-round.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubyprincess|1312456234|2983912 said:
That's an antique stone. I'm not fab with identifying but it could be: Old Mine Cut, Cushion or an OEC that is out of round. Go to oldworlddiamonds.com and jewelsbyericagrace to look at more stones that are similar to this.

http://oldworlddiamonds.com/inv.php?SHAPE=OM&PAGE=3&SORT=WEIGHT
it's an OMC... they are wonderfully out of round but they tend to be deep, face up smaller, and have wonky leaky chunkiness that you either love or you don't... The modern cutting goes hand in hand though - as the pavilion and crown get more exact, the outline becomes more precise. Anyway, beating a dead horse... maybe the OP will decide she likes the wonk :) She wouldn't be alone...

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Putting 4 double prongs on a round might give it that cushiony shape without looking as square or blocky as the fishtail prongs. I have them on my oval and it makes it look more like a cushion.

cameeelia

Rough_Rock
MustangGal- could you post a picture? :)

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
This is the only one I have on my work computer, you can't see the effect the best, but it should give you some idea.

ringset11.jpg

Unicorn64

Rough_Rock
kathleenparrish|1312451099|2983900 said:
chunckymonk.jpg

I'm not sure who's diamond this is, but what kind of cut is this? It looks like a cushion, but see how it's more round?

It's actually mine for the moment. It's an antique cushion that I was originally planning to set in a custom-made rose gold ring that the jeweler has never completed. In the meantime, my DH lost his job so I'm selling it (kind of embarrassing so haven't posted, but lurked alot). I don't think I'm allowed to say anything else. Other than the financial challenges, I would have kept it. But enough of that. You're correct in that it does look roundish in person also, but that's an antique cushion diamond for you...the cutting wasn't by machine or perfect by today's standards, but that's why I love them.

cameeelia

Rough_Rock
Unicorn64- I'm sorry to hear about that :/ It's a lovely looking stone, and the cut looks more like a round! :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
kathleenparrish|1312517790|2984601 said:
http://www.jewelry-shop.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Cushion-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Rings.jpg

See how that is ALMOST a circle, but it has more straightness like a cushion? Are there any rounds like this because I like the facets of a round better, or would putting the prongs more to the side give it a more cushion like effect?
Thank you all for the help by the way!

this is another old mine cut - the original cushion :) The closest thing you'll get to a cushion shape with ideal precision H&A round crispness is one of the square H&A stones. The precision you're looking for in a round is oxymoronic with the off round. It can't exist because of a lot of complicated pavilion angles. Once you let the round go wonk, it messes up the pav angles. In the square H&A they have the arrows set in such a way that they are still equal lengths. And honestly, I have no idea how they make up for it in the squareish corners, but... I really don't think you're going to find what you're looking for.

I will say that OMCs have the same basic brilliant cut that modern rounds do, but the lower girdle facets are way shorter so you don't get that same look.

Good luck finding your dream stone!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
You might consider looking real carefully through the H&A cushion category; i.e., the third pic down in the group of them above. It's possible there are some with slightly different shaped outlines and you might get lucky and find a rounder one. Unfortunately, otherwise, Cehra is pretty much dead on- a cushion shaped stone is going to have different faceting unlike a RB, simply by virtue of not being round.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results