shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you help date my new onyx, diamond and yellow gold ring?

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Hi All

I am the excited owner of this interesting ring. I love diamonds (Of course) and particularly antique jewelry. I wear a lot of black and have been on the hunt for an onyx RHR for some time. I am very curious to recieve this ebay find, it hasn't arrived in Australia as yet.

The only stats I have are that the diamonds are .03 pts and there are 10 of them for a total of .30pts. The ring is 14k yellow gold and weighs a whopping 15.8 grams!

I realise it wont be everyones taste :cheeky: However, I would love to know more about what era this ring hails from. Anyone care to have a guess? :)

Front On.jpg

Curvy gold.jpg

Great shape.jpg

Side View.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Re: Can you help date my new onyx, diamond and yellow gold r

At first glance you might think 1940s,but i believe its 1970s and as late as early 80s.The 70s brought a resurgence of art deco styling that lead to a geometric modern styling in jewelry in the 1974-to 1980 period.If the diamonds are single or full cut can be a clue to age.In the 70s this ring would have been offered in onyx,lapis,jade or tigers eye.Movies like The way we were with Barbra Streisand help popularize this style of jewelry again in fashion.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock

P/S I think that this ring is groovy -cool and be worn often!keep in mind that onyx is a softer stone and this will chip and scratch easy on the corners when hit.so be careful!

MizNina

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Jewelerman I think its groovy too :sun: I will check out the diamonds when it arrives to see if they are full or single cut. I hadn't even considered the 70's! Hmmm interesting....

Anyone else have any thoughts?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock

I second the 1970's date.

stci

Ideal_Rock

And never...never wash your hands with this ring! Onyx is porous and your ring will be fade in many months or so. This treasure need attention!

pkanawha

Rough_Rock

That ring is soooooo cooooollllll!!! I would have guessed it was from the 40’s or 50’s, but I hadn’t been aware of the 70’s comeback. I’ve often heard stuff of that genre referred to as “retro” style. I’m not sure you need to be so very careful about it, not that I’d be careless either. I think if you wore gloves when you were doing garden work or using hand tools, you’d probably be okay. I certainly wouldn’t worry about washing my hands with it on. I believe that jet or something like it was commonly used as a black background on these rings. It’s derived from coal and is very tough stuff. Anyway, I’ve seen rings with onyx/jet/whatever that were worn daily for decades without any problems. If anything, I’d be a little more concerned about a diamond falling out. Of course these could be replaced – at a cost. I’d say to be reasonably careful with it, but don’t treat it like it’s the Crown Jewels of France. Wear it and have fun!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results