shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you guess the size of this diamond from the Picture

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
image_4235.jpg

Hi all, a friend is looking at purchasing this ring privately. This is a photo sent to her by the sellerr who lives interstate. Would love to hear your ideas on what size the main stone is as she has only given an estimate because the valuation has been lost.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't want to guess, I'd just take it to a jeweler (maybe along with the seller if they are located in the same area) who can estimate carat weight while it's set. If the seller won't do that, then I'd walk.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
if the paperwork is lost how do you even know they are diamonds your taking a great risk be careful

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As one who was burned in a similar ebay transaction - I would ask the seller to take the diamond to a jeweler's to be measured with calipers, and to send a photo of that reading. The jeweler might have a caliper that translates the diameter reading into an estimated carat weight - but of course we know that such a measurement would be an estimate that will vary from stone to stone, depending on how it's cut.

But I agree with the others and I'd probably not take a chance on this ring.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank's ladies for your input. Just wanted to mention that the ring is a Hearts on Fire (inscribed on band) so it is the real deal. The seller says it was a 0.70pt centre stone, just that her ex has the original paperwork with the AGS cert. They have arranged to take it to a jeweller to measure for a more accurate estimate. :wavey:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I am glad you will be reassured by going to a jeweler so all is good this time - however for others please do not rely on the band of a ring being engraved stones can be swapped out the band and stones are not permanently attached to each other.

If you purchase please show some hand shots :appl:

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Sphene|1454489638|3986077 said:
I am glad you will be reassured by going to a jeweler so all is good this time - however for others please do not rely on the band of a ring being engraved stones can be swapped out the band and stones are not permanently attached to each other.

Yes Splene, you are right to mention that an inscription on the band is not enough proof. My friend is getting the jeweller to loupe the stone as Hof's are laser inscribed on the diamond. Only after this is confirmed will she considering purchasing.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Monnyjay|1454505913|3986117 said:
Sphene|1454489638|3986077 said:

Yes Splene, you are right to mention that an inscription on the band is not enough proof. My friend is getting the jeweller to loupe the stone as Hof's are laser inscribed on the diamond. Only after this is confirmed will she considering purchasing.

Good plan. If there's a way to corroborate that the stone is branded, that would be good enough for me. Please come back and report how all this ends up! I love knowing the end of a story. :)

victorian10

Rough_Rock
That looks like it measures 5mm. A 5 mm stone would be what a well cut .46 ct would measure.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Glad going to a jeweler to evaluate.

.70 vs. .43 is a big difference. Maybe her memory of it is off, maybe not. Be careful. Update us plz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results