shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you give me info on this ring?

Snoopy49

Rough_Rock
unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (4).jpg unnamed.jpg I inherited this ring from my Dad who passed away. Dad wore this ring for many many years and I don't recall where he got it from or any of the story behind it. I am curious learn anything about it.

Thanks
ZM

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:That looks like some sort of class ring or fraternal ring. Check to see whether the colors and symbols correspond to any of the schools your father attended, or any fraternal organization he might have been part of. Those two red cabochons on the side look to me to be the eyes of an owl - maybe that’s a clue? As for value, class rings etc. generally use synthetic rather than natural stones, so the value is most likely the scrap value of the gold.

ETA Temple University has an owl as its mascot and “cherry” as the school color - is that a possibility? Rice also has an owl mascot, but it’s colors are blue and grey. Of course whoever originally owned this ring might have chosen to use their birthstone or another favorite color for the center stone. I’m guessing this isn’t a high school ring because with that much gold, it would have been pretty pricey for a high school ring.

Another intriguing possibility: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Owls
Although it seems odd that a “secret” organization would have a membership ring, the symbol on the ring would be partially obscured when the ring is worn. Plus this ring doesn’t specify a graduation year - ie, class - which is, well, pretty standard for a class ring LOL. Does your family have Indiana roots you any chance?

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Rough_Rock
:lol:That looks like some sort of class ring or fraternal ring. Check to see whether the colors and symbols correspond to any of the schools your father attended, or any fraternal organization he might have been part of. Those two red cabochons on the side look to me to be the eyes of an owl - maybe that’s a clue? As for value, class rings etc. generally use synthetic rather than natural stones, so the value is most likely the scrap value of the gold.

ETA Temple University has an owl as its mascot and “cherry” as the school color - is that a possibility? Rice also has an owl mascot, but it’s colors are blue and grey. Of course whoever originally owned this ring might have chosen to use their birthstone or another favorite color for the center stone. I’m guessing this isn’t a high school ring because with that much gold, it would have been pretty pricey for a high school ring.

Another intriguing possibility: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Owls
Although it seems odd that a “secret” organization would have a membership ring, the symbol on the ring would be partially obscured when the ring is worn. Plus this ring doesn’t specify a graduation year - ie, class - which is, well, pretty standard for a class ring LOL. Does your family have Indiana roots you any chance?

Dad actually got this ring after he was grown and long out of school. The ring has no writing on it anywhere other than the letter "M" on the front. We have no roots in Indiana, we are all from the the south.

I'm not sure if it is an owl. To me it looks kinda like a gator like creature with fangs holding the diamond. Dad never investigated it but my curiosity is stirred now and I am hoping I am get some info on it.

Thanks

ZM

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'd guess this is a vintage initial ring, and the original owner's initial was M! Here is another example I found on etsy:

il_570xN.1378678695_t2lv.jpg

Here is a sterling silver blank version that a jeweler could personalize:

Vintage-Deco-Sterling-Silver-Red-Stone-Signet-Emblem.jpg

I can't quite make out the design, but I also initially thought it was an owl (owls were big in the 70s, right?) however if you are thinking it looks more like a gator, it made me wonder if it could be a dragon emblem? Something like this one at Ruby Lane?

10K-1940x27s-Dragon-Carnelian-K-R-pic-1-220%3A5.5-855-f.jpg

Are there any hallmarks or markings inside?

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am always amazed how PSer's are so smart, clever and know the answers to obscure and difficult jewelry questions. Great job finding similar rings!!!!!!!:read::read::read::appl::appl::appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results