shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you find me a diamond, under 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mark0611

Rough_Rock
I''m taking some advice from Boston Jeff here..

I mentioned that I wish I could just pay someone to find me a diamond, and he thought some on this board would do it for free :)

I love whiteflash''s return and trade up policies, but Bluenile seems more highly regarded and better priced. If you had 8-10k to spend on a princess cut diamond of at least 1 carat, what would you do?

Thank you in advance

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 11:05:28 AM
Author:mark0611

I mentioned that I wish I could just pay someone to find me a diamond, and he thought some on this board would do it for free :)

I love whiteflash''s return and trade up policies, but Bluenile seems more highly regarded and better priced. If you had 8-10k to spend on a princess cut diamond of at least 1 carat, what would you do?

Thank you in advance
Yes we do this kind of stuff for fun!!!

I am not so hot with Princess cuts so I will let someone way more clever than me help you!!
9.gif

I will say though, that Blue Nile is probably no more highly regarded than Whiteflash - in fact it might be the opposite.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you had 8-10k to spend on a princess cut diamond of at least 1 carat, what would you do?
i''d buy one from wf because they''re highly regarded and better priced.
10.gif

seriously.... the 100% trade up policy is important to me, so that is a deciding factor. if it wasn''t, i would just go wherever i could find the best deal on a great diamond.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 11:10:24 AM
Author: Maisie

Thank you in advance
Yes we do this kind of stuff for fun!!!

I am not so hot with Princess cuts so I will let someone way more clever than me help you!!
9.gif

I will say though, that Blue Nile is probably no more highly regarded than Whiteflash - in fact it might be the opposite.
I agree with this. WF, though, seems a bit out of pocket for options right now, maybe, for this price point.

Maybe something like this....

I think G0G gives you the same other benefits. And, though BN is bigger than both, on pricing it''s not clear who''s more favorable to me...and on this board, people do tend to favor both WF & GOG over BN at least because at both...many/most diamonds they''re known for are both in house, and can be seen with visuals you can be presented with...whether IS or ASET views. With Princesses more than rounds...these are pretty important to help you believe the quality of the diamond is there.

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
HI

I''m new to PS but I''ll chime in I agree with the other people that have already answered your ques I''d go with WF or GOG for sure.
I can''t speak from personal experience about GOG but I did speak with them briefly in my quest to find my e-ring and was very impressed.
I have dealt extensively over the last couple of months with WF and both my setting and stone are from them and I am more than happy and the trade up policy and even the return policy work for me. The customer service was also excellent. I bought a princess as well and in fact prior to settling on the stone I picked I was SERIOUSLY considering the 2nd 1.54 stone that cdt1101 picked out. It is an amazing stone IMHO. I think too with the wire price it may end up putting that stone in the budget you have picked out.
During my research on PS I found too that WF and GOG are extremely highly regarded likely equal to or perhaps more that BN (not harm meant to BN they have some gorgeous stones, rings, and other items).
Hope this helps
1.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Mark,

Just use the damn search by cut tool here, above, under Prices. None of us are geniuses. Thank Leonid, who hosts this board, and draws some us nut cases in, for this.

Also consider researching Nice Ice, and it's policies...not used as often here, but a stong rep. They have this one.

Date: 3/21/2007 11:31:20 AM
Author: btrflygrl23

I have dealt extensively over the last couple of months with WF and both my setting and stone are from them and I am more than happy and the trade up policy and even the return policy work for me. The customer service was also excellent. I bought a princess as well and in fact prior to settling on the stone I picked I was SERIOUSLY considering the 2nd 1.54 stone that cdt1101 picked out. It is an amazing stone IMHO. I think too with the wire price it may end up putting that stone in the budget you have picked out.
I didn't go as high as VVS2, but by gum, including it in the search by cut tool, and it's just $30 over $10 K

Peeking over $10K...you'll find at least 2 others from WF you may want to check out, too (eta...and another fro GOG, too).

Best wishes!

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am no expert, and agree whiteflash is great...but how about this one from niceice?

1.553 ct, H, VS2

I think the size, color, cost, and cut are pretty fantastic.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 11:59:41 AM
Author: Moosejaw
I am no expert, and agree whiteflash is great...but how about this one from niceice?

1.553 ct, H, VS2

Same stone, slightly better price (save $300 w/o wire transfer, a little less than $200 with wire transfer). excel

I agree it looks great. I''ll keep looking for a G for you...

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Two things for you:

1) Boston Jeff...

Date: 3/21/2007 3:05:59 PM
Author: boston_jeff

Date: 3/21/2007 11:59:41 AM
Author: Moosejaw

1.553 ct, H, VS2

Same stone, slightly better price (save $300 w/o wire transfer, a little less than $200 with wire transfer). excel

I agree it looks great. I''ll keep looking for a G for you...
I hope you are incorrect. Nice Ice kicks sand on other vendors, calling them little girls for having virtual stones. He even names this one as in-house. Weight color & carat are the same...and I have not studied deeper, but unless you know they''re the same (Excel does call these all virtual, so that 1/2 is no problem), let''s assume not.

2) Do you have $10 bucks to spare:

In a previous discussion, I asked which factor Pricescopers would choose over...BN signature, or BN AGS0 being described by them as only good. I voted for the latter. I still do. Suffer the imperfection of only excellent polish...

I give you 1.68 G SI 1, at $10,010.

Yes, unfortunately, not everything is in the search by cut db (but it makes a great place to start).

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 3:25:34 PM
Author: Regular Guy

I hope you are incorrect. Nice Ice kicks sand on other vendors, calling them little girls for having virtual stones. He even names this one as in-house. Weight color & carat are the same...and I have not studied deeper, but unless you know they're the same (Excel does call these all virtual, so that 1/2 is no problem), let's assume not.

Hey Ira,

I would not have said it without doing my research... both stones have the same AGS report number (AGS 6336505). The stone is appears to be in-house to NiceIce, but can be called in by exceldiamonds, and they will charge you less money for it. Hope that clarifies.

mark0611

Rough_Rock
wow.. you guys rock..

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Mark,

A number of positive selections have been suggested here. Don''t rush on my part...but have you made a selection yet?

Date: 3/21/2007 3:42:42 PM
Author: boston_jeff

Date: 3/21/2007 3:25:34 PM
Author: Regular Guy

I hope you are incorrect. Nice Ice kicks sand on other vendors, calling them little girls for having virtual stones. He even names this one as in-house. Weight color & carat are the same...and I have not studied deeper, but unless you know they''re the same (Excel does call these all virtual, so that 1/2 is no problem), let''s assume not.
Hey Ira,

I would not have said it without doing my research... both stones have the same AGS report number (AGS 6336505). The stone is appears to be in-house to NiceIce, but can be called in by exceldiamonds, and they will charge you less money for it. Hope that clarifies.
I see this option at Excel a) does match what''s listed at Nice Ice, and that b) it has been sold, showing this on the Excel site, and at least now not retrievable when searching.

Also, I see this text at Nice Ice:

"Forget about those virtual lists. Get REAL with NiceIce. We actually have the diamonds that we list on our Private Reserve sitting in our vault waiting to be adopted! We don''t play tug-o-war with your brain by listing "virtual diamonds" copied down from the multiple listing services reserved for the trade, which are spread out all over the globe, or which have already been sold. Give us a call Toll Free at 1-877-844-5443 and make your moment happen today!"

Todd owes me nothing...and in fact, I''m pleased to see he now includes price info on his site. But...maybe he needs to change some of his text as well, at his site. Leonid...I also see you representing this stone under "in house" on your "in house" db...so you may want to check what''s been represented here...

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Where to begin? And how to address the questions raised on this thread without treading hard on the forum rules? Since the questions raised directly question our operating policies stated on our web site and question the validity of our listing, I am going to answer as directly and briefly as possible:

At the time of this response: AGS0006336505 is in our vault and is available for purchase and can be shipped direct from our store. We do not list ANY diamonds for sale on our web site that we do not have physical possession of and sell NOTHING without personally evaluating it. The diamond IS legitimately listed as "In House" and should remain on the PS In House Diamond Database because we are in physical possession of the diamond. If the diamond is recalled by the cutter, we would remove it from our Private Reserve and at that time our PS listing would be automatically updated to reflect the removal of the diamond from our physical inventory. That said, the diamond is still the property of the cutter and as such still appears on the multiple listing service used by the trade and thus may be listed for sale by a variety of vendors. If a lower price is legitimately offered and brought to our attention, we do everything that we can to match it in an effort to remain competitive as I''m sure most every dealer does...

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
Thanks for clarifying that, Todd. The above poster pretty much nailed it on the head when he said that the stone was in-house to you but available to exceldiamonds (because if you contacted excel, they could ask the cutter to call back the stone). That being said, the price was significantly different, so I am sure the poster did not mean any harm by posting the same stone at a lower price. It is nice to know that NiceIce will price match wherever possible.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Mark,

In the case of the WF option vs the BN, it appears with WF two experts looked at it (AGS and WF) vs 0 looking at it at BN. As noted above...I believe all their signature options are rubbish at BN, being based on proportions...which don''t tell you near enough as a basis for evaluating. So, I''d pick WF, and that ASET is really nice for the one you''re favoring.

Regards,

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Why E/F color and VVS2 clarity?

E is certainly overkill, as is VVS. You could get a significantly bigger F/VS2 for the same price.

That being said, the ACA looks very nice.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
mark,

1. don''t worry about depth on diamond with an ''ags000'' grading. obviously it works with the rest of the angles, or it would not have received an ''0'' in light performance.

2. you will have to note a bigger change in the dimensions to really see a difference in diamond size.

here are simulations of a 5.57mm and a 5.55mm diamond side by side

555x557.JPG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
shoulda read ahead lol

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go with whiteflash.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 9:52:48 AM
Author: cdt1101
I''d go with whiteflash.
With the above 3, that makes 4, right?

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the WF stone.

mark0611

Rough_Rock
Hey Ira Z., how can you tell that the ASET looks good? I thought all of that green was bad??

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 11:47:50 AM
Author: mark0611
Hey Ira Z., how can you tell that the ASET looks good? I thought all of that green was bad??
Not on fancy stones. You're looking at a Princess cut......so you'll see more green on a fancy than a round....and that's fine.

I'd also pick the WF stone; as Ira points out, they've actually laid eyes on the stone. Can't get the same assurance from BN.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results