shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you find better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DEVO

Rough_Rock
For the price (same size or about, same color).

here

Carat Weight: 1.007
Clarity: VS1
Color: D
Shape: Round
Cut External
Polish: AGS ~ Ideal
Symmetry: AGS ~ Ideal
Cut Internal
Light Return ~ Excellent
BrillianceScope
White Light Return ~ High
Colored Light Return ~ Very High
Scintillation ~ Very High
Price ~ $ 8,476.

more info:

Diameter: 6.520 6.51-6.53 mm
Diam. Dev.: 0.3 % Ex
Table Size: 56 % Ex
Total Depth: 60.4% Ex
Crown Angle: 35.0 ° Ex
CrownHeight: 15.3 % 1.00 mm
Pavil. Angle: 40.8 °
Pavil. Depth: 43.1 % Ex
CuletSize: 0.6 % Ex Very Small
Girdle Min: 0.92 % Ex Thin
Girdle Max: 1.23 % Ex Medium
Girdle Deduction: Ex 0
Star/Upper Ratio: 48 : 52 Ex
Proportion Grade: EXCELLENT

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
It's a very nice stone. What is it that you're looking for, exactly? An equally well cut stone with roughly the same colour/clarity/carat weight characteristics at approximately the same price?

Well, if you drop the colour to F, it will be indistinguishable from a D. I realize you said "same colour", (actually, you said "color", but I'll let it slide) but unless you're a gemologist, an F is a D.
1.gif
And there's generally a premium on D's. Drop the clarity to VS2 - no visible inclusions, same as VS1 - and you'll save even more. So yes, it's conceivable that a one carat stone with similar characteristics in terms of cut, colour, and clarity could be found for less money.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone. Expensive stone.

Any particular reason for the D color? I can understand VS somewhat...but why D? I would drop that to even an E or F and save some $$. I wouldn't pay over $7k for a 1c stone, and that would be the top of the tier.

Nice Ideal/Lightscope images!

rolleyes.gif

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Reverse your .07 ct and I would say look at the .91-.96 ct range in the SuperIdeals and you can really get some deals.....I got out for much less than that for a .925 for a superideal after loooooooooooooooooking all over.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just 5 min for a better price (ideal cut), not toomany sources will provide all that info upfront, but one more Q would get it, if you ask HERE

It seems that going down in price can be acheived without any other requirements, and I dounbt that my first search resulted in the best option. Of course, I would have a hard time arguing for that color and clarity combination for practical reasons, but why not?

DEVO

Rough_Rock
valeria101,

I think I have seen that stone before. I have my mind made up for H&A stone though. So while that stone is nice. It's not an H&A. Thanks.

DEVO

Rough_Rock
spicolicpa,

I've heard that before and you are correct but I've been dating this girl for 5 years and it's gotta be 1ct... not because she wants that. She would be happy for something really basic. I just want to get her something that is well close to perfect... some other guy on this forum is looking for D/FL H&A with excellent HCA... if I had the budget that would be me too.
1.gif

DEVO

Rough_Rock
Mara,

well I started looking at Gs and found a few that were IF in clarity... then I discovered this site... and then I got hooked on Ideal cuts... and then I progressed to H&A... you see the pattern?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/25/2003 10:43:24 PM DEVO wrote:

I started looking at Gs and found a few that were IF in clarity... then I discovered this site... and then I got hooked on Ideal cuts... and then I progressed to H&A... you see the pattern?

----------------

Pattern... would "get any stone with a large price premium attached?" At least someone might get to see the arrows in an H&A... Your pick is quite nice (and as well 'documented' as they get).

DEVO

Rough_Rock
canadiangrrl,

Well I think that stone is what I'm looking for. I just can't believe I found it. I just wanted to make sure I've covered everything. I want something that looks equally as good to my eye as it does on paper (the scientist in me I guess). I have made up my mind that I want an ideal cut (h&a), at least 1ct (no less), D colour
1.gif
(yes I know D-F look the same, I guess I've gone a little crazy), and at least an S1 for clarity. Actually, until recently (when I actually looked at the stones through a loupe, I was only settling for IF clarity (colour be damn). But then I saw an S1 through a loupe and couldn't believe how I couldn't see the flaw with the naked eye. So colour became more important to me than clarity.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you try the "H&A" search engine on GOG's site?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
Well I think that stone is what I'm looking for. I just can't believe I found it. I just wanted to make sure I've covered everything. I want something that looks equally as good to my eye as it does on paper (the scientist in me I guess). I have made up my mind that I want an ideal cut (h&a), at least 1ct (no less), D colour
1.gif
(yes I know D-F look the same, I guess I've gone a little crazy), and at least an S1 for clarity. Actually, until recently (when I actually looked at the stones through a loupe, I was only settling for IF clarity (colour be damn). But then I saw an S1 through a loupe and couldn't believe how I couldn't see the flaw with the naked eye. So colour became more important to me than clarity.
----------------

Sorry... I know this is a post too many, but your story has a very interesting point. You did drop the clarity standard as soon as you seen its' effect on the stone's looks. Did you have similar sampling set up for color and cut?

DEVO

Rough_Rock
Yes but it didn't have the same effect that it did with clarity. In the colour example I could see the difference between a G and E. The H&A pattern also played a big role along with the HCA scores. So, one by one I started to eliminate and ended up with the above stone. While I make it sound like I just stumbled across the above stone, I didn't. I searched and researched hundreds of diamonds (I actually came across the stone early on my search but dismissed it because I found it too soon).

So now the stone has a date with vatche.
appl.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That must be a happy encounter!

There was really no way to tell wether you did go through all that reasoning: this is by no means the common approach... but I could not agree more with your uncompromising thorough process. Also, while most buyers ever to dwell on PS would not hunt for unconditional bargains, few would start and end with what appears to be their most prefered options. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results