shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you explain measurements on Princess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Guinness08

Rough_Rock
Hi:

When I am comparing to Princess cut diamonds, I have a question about the measurements. For instance see below:

1.36 princess
6.37x6.23x4.34 measurements

1.51 princess
6.20x6.08x4.55

So would the 1.36 diamond appear larger than the 1.51 even though it is more carats? I am trying to get the largest diamond appearance within my budget with also comparing the other relevant aspects.

thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 9:12:35 AM
Author:Guinness08
Hi:

When I am comparing to Princess cut diamonds, I have a question about the measurements. For instance see below:

1.36 princess
6.37x6.23x4.34 measurements

1.51 princess
6.20x6.08x4.55

So would the 1.36 diamond appear larger than the 1.51 even though it is more carats? I am trying to get the largest diamond appearance within my budget with also comparing the other relevant aspects.

thanks
Yes, face up size or spread does not always relate to carat weight, see this page,

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/spread.asp

It would appear the lighter weight diamond will look larger than the heavier one face up according to the diameter measurements. Whatever you do, get the best cut Princess you can and it will have a good spread and a large ' look' due to the excellent edge to edge light return. The diamond will light up from all areas and corner to corner which will give you the best visual appearance.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, the 1.36 has a bigger surface area than the 1.51

Will it appear larger because of that? Most likely, but the 1.51 might have better light return around the edges, and might still seem bigger. For that, you need at least an ASET-pic of both stones.

Live long,

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:46:14 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Yes, the 1.36 has a bigger surface area than the 1.51

Will it appear larger because of that? Most likely, but the 1.51 might have better light return around the edges, and might still seem bigger. For that, you need at least an ASET-pic of both stones.

Live long,
Good advice from Paul and from Lorelei.

As it can be hard to visualise how a physically smaller diamond can look bigger because of cut quality - the following photo shows 2 diamonds:
the diamond on left has a smaller diameter but sparkles more so it looks bigger than the diamond on the right which has a larger diameter but looks smaller as it does not sparkle from edge to edge.The same principle of cut quality affecting sparkle as well as apparent visual size also applies to princess cut diamonds.

comparison e4856.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results