shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you barter and negotiate ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

frenchyd

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m planning on buying a diamond at a well known and respected independent retail outlet in mass. and nh. Can you haggle with the price, like your buying a car ?. Also, do you think I could get a better deal if I purchased the ring in cash?

I''m sorry I have a couple of more questions,. I''m looking to spend about 5K (give or take)on a ring. I''m looking for a simple platinum band, a round stone with about a .7 to .85 in size. I''d appreciate if anyone with the know-how would let me know what sort of specs I should be looking for. I''ve been told an SI1 H is a very nice stone if its cut properly and for the money I''m looking to spend I should be able to find that ring. How can I tell if the cut is top quality ?

Thanks so much. Frenchy

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Bring us all the measurements from the diamond you select and we will walk you through the process. 5K is more then you need to spend on what your looking for. Ask questions look around and use us
2.gif
Thats what we are here for
1.gif

I think the SI1 and H color is the best bang for the buck as long as you have a nice cut to go with it.

frenchyd

Rough_Rock
Great, thanks for the help. I don't much about the business. I just bought the book "how to buy a diamond" by Fred Cuellar, and it has a great deal of information but when it comes to the "cut", I start getting uncomfortable especially when I'm in front of a dealer. I almost bought a "hearts and arrows" diamond but the book told me they aren't necessary worth the money.

Thanks again, Frenchy

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
So a search on Fred's book here. He has *no* warped stones; yet, everyone else does. He does not carry the finest of reputations.

Also, do a search on pricescope to see how much you can afford. At a quick glance, you could get a .90 H/SI in a very nice cut.

Good luck.

frenchyd

Rough_Rock
Ok, it sounds like i should go shopping and grab all the numbers of the stone and come back here plug the numbers into pricescope as well as let everyone here now what i've found. It looks like i should be able to find what i'm looking for for the money i want to spend if i show some patience. Last question, should i buy a certified stone ? and if so from what type of certification.

everyone here has been very helpful
1.gif

frenchy

Hwangster

Rough_Rock
Todd from niceice.com and Jonathan from goodoldgold.com has be super helpful, and have great products on their hands. They have helped me out tremendously, and I am in the same category as you.

I am going to spend about 1k for a Vatche X-Prong comfort fit setting along with a .80 - .85 carat diamond. I think I can get a very well cut diamond, at VS2 Clarity, and H - I color at .8 - .85 carat for around 3 - 4k, plust the setting I'm looking at 4 - 5 k.... which is a big range....... but that's how diamonds are. I'm shooting for under 4.5k.

frenchyd

Rough_Rock
Yes, we are in the same ballpark. I'd love to be able to buy a bigger diamond but I prefer buying quality rather than size. I'm lucky because the lady who's going to hopefully be wearing it has the smallest hands 4.25 ring size, and even 3/4c looks enormous on her finger.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
I bought H VS1 .85 RB for less than 3000$US WellCut

Trichrome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results