shape
carat
color
clarity

Can we end the confusion???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
The English language has many synonyms, but most of them don''t cause anywhere near the confusion that CARAT and KARAT do.
Some European countries long ago adopted numeric designations for gold purity, such as 585 for 14 karat and 750 for 18 karat, etc., which are easily understood as parts per thousand of pure gold in the alloy mix. With (X) Karat being understood as a fraction of 24 (pure) by those in the know, and 10 carat spelled as I have here would be (mis)understood by people in the U.K. as either stone weight or metal purity... you can see how it is that people are sometimes completely mystified when speaking to a jeweller about the various particulars involving jewellery.
Is it just me, or is it time for a change? I''ll use your answers to lobby the industry toward the standardization of the terminology. It''s not for the sake of those who already understand, it''s an effort to make this awkward terminology friendlier for neophytes.
Let''s see what you people think!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think in any industry there is a learning curve for people. While I personally like the numbers better, there would surely be confusion with that too...some people just will never get the differences even with an "easy" numbering system. Luckily because the terms DO mean different things, there is hardly confusion when posters use the incorrect term as long as it is in context.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Posters aren''t experiencing the confusion because, when written, the differences are apparent.
In conversation, there is definately a problem. Tell a friend you receievd an 18 carat diamond ring, and they don''t know what you mean.
In the U.K., though, metal purity is expressed using the same written word (carat) as stone weight (carat) which is silly.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 4:49:54 PM
Author: TheDoctor
Posters aren''t experiencing the confusion because, when written, the differences are apparent.

In conversation, there is definately a problem. Tell a friend you receievd an 18 carat diamond ring, and they don''t know what you mean.

In the U.K., though, metal purity is expressed using the same written word (carat) as stone weight (carat) which is silly.

I''m still not convinced it''s a huge issue. If I received a gold ring, I would most likely say I received an 18K gold ring. If I received a diamond ring, I would say I received a 1 carat diamond ring. Since the only confusion here is with 10, 14, 18, and 24 really, *most* people are never going to say they got a diamond ring that big. I agree in rare contexts it could be a problem, but hardly anyone is walking around with even a 10 carat diamond ring...

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
How hard is it to learn the difference between Kt. and Ct. ? We Americans don't have a problem with the rest of you using metric and other designations, why do you think we should change ours?

People who are seriously interesting in jewelry make it their business to learn all the nuances.
21.gif

Now if we could just get newbies to learn the difference between loop and loupe, it would all be good.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really don''t think this is as big a deal as you perceive it to be; I''ve never known anyone to confuse the two.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 5:18:00 PM
Author: purrfectpear
How hard is it to learn the difference between Kt. and Ct. ? We Americans don''t have a problem with the rest of you using metric and other designations, why do you think we should change ours?

People who are seriously interesting in jewelry make it their business to learn all the nuances.
21.gif

Now if we could just get newbies to learn the difference between loop and loupe, it would all be good.
Point taken, but nobody objected to platinum or palladium''s purity being expressed as a parts per thousand ratio. Seems pretty natural, no? 950 platinum isn''t easy to confuse with something else.
Or should we find some way to express that as a karat ratio as well? That would make sense, if we follow your argument.

Oh, and I got told I spell jewellery funny, too! Many would agree.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 4:49:54 PM

Honestly, I don''t see how it would be a problem.

Either I received an 18-carat ring (which I would take to mean the stone) or an 18-karat GOLD ring....which means the metal is 18K.

??

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 4:55:30 PM
Author: neatfreak

Since the only confusion here is with 10, 14, 18, and 24 really, *most* people are never going to say they got a diamond ring that big.

LOL - true that, too!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t see the confusion.
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 5:52:50 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I don''t see the confusion.
2.gif

I don''t either. It''s just commonly used trade language. In any case, I rarely--if ever--have to explain the purity of the metal I''m wearing.

When people are looking at a diamond ring and they ask "how many carats?" They''re not talking about the gold.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Of course all of you understand the difference, this was an appeal to you to try to sympathize with the millions of people who simply can''t comprehend the jargon.
Of course you have enough knowlege to sort it all out, but the first-time prospective buyer doesn''t. I see it all the time. Not on Pricescope, but on the front lines in retail. This is why many companies can sell 10 karat gold, the terminology has no meaning to the purchaser, it is never explained as being less than 40 percent pure.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I cant see the issue. I have never confused the two terms ever in conversation or otherwise.

And I sure havent ever been shown an 18 carat diamond before and had an awkward conversation thinking it was the gold we were discussing!!!! LOL

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am from the UK and I don''t get confused.... and I am no diamond or jewellery expert.

Wouldn''t you agree that its up to the jeweller to explain the difference.. or would that be too much like hard work?
9.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Long before I found this site, I knew what the difference between karat and carat was. So some newbie consumers are confused--have you walked into an electronics store lately? Talk about confusion.

In any major purchase, a buyer should arm himself or herself with at least some knowledge about what they''re buying. If people want to buy a good TV or digital camera or sound system, they should read about what''s available and learn what might be good for them. The same thing should happen with a diamond or jewelry purchase. Obviously, there''s a chunk of people that won''t do the research in either case. When that happens, they usually just depend on the industry expert (you, in the jewelry scenario!) or salesperson to educate them and help them make a good decision.

Honestly, I don''t see that there''s any confusion between, say, 18 karat gold and a 2 carat diamond. People might spell it wrong, but I don''t think that jewelry consumers, whether they''ve been to PS or not, are really confused about it. I''ve never heard a complaint, and I''ve talked jewelry with lots of neophytes. I think the time you might spend trying to get the entire jewelry industry to change its system would probably be better spent helping your individual customers understand how the system currently in place works.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:20:26 PM
Of course all of you understand the difference, this was an appeal to you to try to sympathize with the millions of people who simply can''t comprehend the jargon.
Of course you have enough knowlege to sort it all out, but the first-time prospective buyer doesn''t. I see it all the time. Not on Pricescope, but on the front lines in retail. This is why many companies can sell 10 karat gold, the terminology has no meaning to the purchaser, it is never explained as being less than 40 percent pure.
If you''re convinced "millions" of people can''t understand the difference, then fine. They certainly aren''t millions of Americans. I worked in a jewelry store in 1969 and I never had a customer who got confused. We didn''t sell 10kt. We did sell 14kt. and 18kt. and as the sales consultant I explained the difference. That''s why you have sales people, to discuss and explain the differences in diamond quality, colored stone quality and special care needed, pearl quality, etc. There are many asian and indian jewelers who sell high karat gold. I''m quite sure they wouldn''t have a problem explaining what was different about 22 or 24kt.

The first time prospective buyer isn''t too stupid to learn and that it what a good sales person does, educate. Does your store only attract the millions you claim can''t learn or are you just tired of giving a decent explanation?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

People can''t comprehend? That''s pretty harsh. I think people CAN comprehend once it''s explained to them. I hate to break it to you but people need to be told what 950 plat is too. Just because YOU think it''s clearer doesn''t mean the average consumer does. They will still need to have it explained to them...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 11:24:31 PM

Of course all of you understand the difference, this was an appeal to you to try to sympathize with the millions of people who simply can't comprehend the jargon.

Of course you have enough knowlege to sort it all out, but the first-time prospective buyer doesn't. I see it all the time. Not on Pricescope, but on the front lines in retail. This is why many companies can sell 10 karat gold, the terminology has no meaning to the purchaser, it is never explained as being less than 40 percent pure.

People can't comprehend? That's pretty harsh. I think people CAN comprehend once it's explained to them. I hate to break it to you but people need to be told what 950 plat is too. Just because YOU think it's clearer doesn't mean the average consumer does. They will still need to have it explained to them...
Well methinks it's up to you to explain the difference then. I think you underestimate the intelligence of the consumer. It's an easy thing to clarify. I like to think consumers are a savvy bunch, PS or not. So don't go dumbing them down.... JMHO.
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 11:43:27 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 10/10/2008 11:24:31 PM

Of course all of you understand the difference, this was an appeal to you to try to sympathize with the millions of people who simply can't comprehend the jargon.

Of course you have enough knowlege to sort it all out, but the first-time prospective buyer doesn't. I see it all the time. Not on Pricescope, but on the front lines in retail. This is why many companies can sell 10 karat gold, the terminology has no meaning to the purchaser, it is never explained as being less than 40 percent pure.

People can't comprehend? That's pretty harsh. I think people CAN comprehend once it's explained to them. I hate to break it to you but people need to be told what 950 plat is too. Just because YOU think it's clearer doesn't mean the average consumer does. They will still need to have it explained to them...
Well methinks it's up to you to explain the difference then. I think you underestimate the intelligence of the consumer. It's an easy thing to clarify. I like to think consumers are a savvy bunch, PS or not. So don't go dumbing them down.... JMHO.
2.gif

Was this directed at me? Because your point is exactly the one I was trying to make too! I think people understand very easily once things are clarified.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what''s the difference between carat,karat and carrot??
34.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 2:05:00 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
what's the difference between carat,karat and carrot??
34.gif
Two I covet, the other not so much
9.gif

The Doctor, I agree with the others that this is the realm of responsibility of the sales person - but I also don't think there's any need to tear you a new one..
5.gif

I appreciate where you are coming from, though perhaps you have enrolled the wrong audience in that they are mostly American and educated about such things?

Either way, good luck in your future business practices!

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
<
Date: 10/11/2008 7:19:33 AM
Author: arjunajane

The Doctor, I agree with the others that this is the realm of responsibility of the sales person - but I also don''t think there''s any need to tear you a new one..
5.gif

I appreciate where you are coming from, though perhaps you have enrolled the wrong audience in that they are mostly American and educated about such things?

Either way, good luck in your future business practices!

Well (and very tactfully) said arjunajane

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results