shape
carat
color
clarity

Can this be done? Trying to make a Jackie-O ring.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have always thought my Grandmother's wedding rings looked a bit like Jackie-O's ring when she was married to JFK.
jackie_kennedy1.jpg

So here is my Grandmother's ring.
grandmothers_ring.jpg

Do you think I could add stones to it to make it look *more* like Jackie O's. I only have a bad mock up.

unnamed_65.jpg

What do you all think? Ideas?

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Wink did it for me! He used a blue and yellow CZ of his and marquis sapphires. I never posted pictures because of the CZ's. I talked to Melissa the most so he may not remember. It was so well done and very comfortable to wear.

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
Vesper I think to do it right the ring needs to be more asymmetrical than you grandmother's ring is. You could have a new mounting made borrowing from both designs. I would copy the, what I call 'the wheat sheaf', of marquise diamonds, from the Jackie-O ring and duplicate the prong settings of your grandmother's ring. I think four marquise diamonds on each shank could be accommodated by making it more asymmetrical.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure if I am allowed, but I found a video Wink made of the ring. I will post the link, if it is allowed. Just let me know! :D

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a CAD I got from Wink during the creation process. I hope it shows up so you can see it. Your idea to do the same with your grandmother's ring is going to be beautiful!

cd643_revised_rendering.jpg

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Let me post a picture of it on my hand.
img_20160811_191954.jpg
It is kind of lopsided.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
PattyCo|1470957626|4064955 said:
Here is a CAD I got from Wink during the creation process. I hope it shows up so you can see it. Your idea to do the same with your grandmother's ring is going to be beautiful!
So was that a reworking of a ring you had already? We're the stones just added?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vesper,
What you plan to do is admirible and sweet, but I think her ring is so gorgeous as it is. I love it!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Wink made it "from scratch", so to speak. All I did was ask the impossible, lol! His team did a great job. I'm sure they would do wonders with your grandmothers gems.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1470958939|4064964 said:
Vesper,
What you plan to do is admirible and sweet, but I think her ring is so gorgeous as it is. I love it!
I love it as is. I just know my Grandmother would have expanded on it if she had the money while she was alive.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
PattyCo|1470963086|4064978 said:
Wink made it "from scratch", so to speak. All I did was ask the impossible, lol! His team did a great job. I'm sure they would do wonders with your grandmothers gems.
What is Wink?

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Does Wink have good prices?

Also I struggle with construction. With the ring being left as is could you put the "weat" on it?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I could be wrong, but I thought there was a very recent post that discussed adding side stones to an existing solitare setting. The conclusion was that frankensteining the ring was a bad idea -- it was substantiated by some discussion about whether the paritcular aloy used to build the baskets would meld well with the existing alloy in the shank.

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
Wheat sheaf was a very poor choice of words on my part . Here is a drawing of a wheat head
black-wheat-head-on-the-tip-of-a-stem-on-a-white-background-by-c-jpzzba-clipart.jpg
Now picture a ring shank with four marquise cut diamonds with the tip of the wheat pattern being one of your stones

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
qubitasaurus|1470977576|4065040 said:
I could be wrong, but I thought there was a very recent post that discussed adding side stones to an existing solitare setting. The conclusion was that frankensteining the ring was a bad idea -- it was substantiated by some discussion about whether the paritcular aloy used to build the baskets would meld well with the existing alloy in the shank.
This is a good point.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1470958939|4064964 said:
Vesper,

Me too, it has lovely lines and shows off the stones beautifully!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am starting to think you guys are correct. I do not want to do anything to "mess up" the ring already. I have always thought it looked like Jack O's first ring and my Grandmother was very flashy and would have loved to add onto it... but maybe I should refrain.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It's a very pretty ring on its own.

It looks like you have long, slender fingers, so maybe you could have two small, curved bands set with small marquis diamonds custom made, and wear them on either side of your existing ring. I think they're called "enhancer rings" (anybody else here know if that's the correct term?) and they are made to fit exactly around an existing setting. You'd have to send your setting to whomever makes the bands so that the rings will fit together properly.

I've worked with Wink and Melissa before; their prices are reasonable for high-quality, custom design.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
PattyCo -- What a great ring! :love:

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well my jeweler said it could be done in theory. He continued to say I would hate it and would look like a crass four letter word that I am assuming is a TOS violation. You all were right. Oh well. Thanks folks for the help.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is so beautiful as is!!! So glad you are not messing it up :appl:

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Lula|1471010425|4065134 said:
PattyCo -- What a great ring! :love:

Thank you, Lula.

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
Vesper, I suspect that the sparkle of the Jackie-O ring will still entice you. Keep the photo and concentrate on the marquise cut diamonds over the top of the green stone. I would think that you could get load of sparkle by doing that around a single stone on both top and bottom with some additional melee on the shanks. The real trick will be in selecting a sparkling colored center stone that isn't overpowered by the diamonds.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very pretty the way it is. I like it better than Jackie O's ring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Nsmike|1471041057|4065278 said:
Vesper, I suspect that the sparkle of the Jackie-O ring will still entice you. Keep the photo and concentrate on the marquise cut diamonds over the top of the green stone. I would think that you could get load of sparkle by doing that around a single stone on both top and bottom with some additional melee on the shanks. The real trick will be in selecting a sparkling colored center stone that isn't overpowered by the diamonds.
You are right. I love it! I love all the sparkle
I am going to leave it as in and like @lula suggested look into an enhancer. Maybe. I will think on that more.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
marcy|1471062779|4065373 said:
I think it is very pretty the way it is. I like it better than Jackie O's ring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Well heck thank you. You would have made my Grandmother one happy lady!

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
Pyramid|1471054144|4065346 said:
Found from a Google image search, this version has fancy cut stones though.

http://pixel.brit.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/jackie-kennedy-engagement-ring.jpg

Gives an idea of how big the centre stones may be in proportion to the marquises, so maybe need smaller marquises..

Thanks for posting this. I would love to see a sketch of a single stone adaptation, with a colored center stone of about one caret, perhaps a dematoid or merelani mint. I think that, scaled down, it would still be very sparkly, without needing the income of a Kennedy to afford it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results