shape
carat
color
clarity

Can These Settings Be Re-done?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I have 2 pairs of stones for earrings -- blue zircons & chrysos -- that would fit in these pre-owned settings. They are 14k, currently contain synthetic amethysts that I could throw out, and are very very affordable. What I don't like about them is the findings showing beneath them. Is it reasonable to think a jeweler could re-do the back to move the hooks up & shorten the wires? I'd love to buy them but not if I can't change them. Hope these photos help -- they are all there were of the backs. Any opinions appreciated -- thanks!

--- Laurie

rsz.jpg

_16026.jpg

_16027.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since you are already going to reset the stone, moving the hooks up a little should be easy if there is a place for them to be resoldered that won't show through the open heart shapes. Alternatively, since the hooks look pretty long, you could simply bend them up so that the wire could be clipped shorter.

I wonder if these earrings will tip forward. The center of gravity is in an awkward position.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Lady D. I wondered that too, about their tipping -- if that could be why the wires are so long: they wouldn't show much if the earrings tip forward, which I wouldn't find attractive. I love the bezeling on them.

Is there any possibility the hook & wire could be taken off & posts put on?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
JewelFreak|1395320832|3637860 said:
Thank you, Lady D. I wondered that too, about their tipping -- if that could be why the wires are so long: they wouldn't show much if the earrings tip forward, which I wouldn't find attractive. I love the bezeling on them.

Is there any possibility the hook & wire could be taken off & posts put on?
Sure, you can certainly have posts to replace the wires. I would suggest finding someone who has either a laser or a pulse welder to weld the posts in place as those settings look very light and easily damaged with a heavy hand on the torch. Likewise I would suggest just heating and quenching the existing stones to break them up and remove them without bending the prong tips back

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also, have the posts installed a little lower, so the earrings sit better on the ear. Large ear nuts will also help them sit right and not tip over.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thank you both for your help! I'll save your answers so they don't sift right through my brain & out again. I'll buy them today, interested to see how they'll look

Thanks again!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JF,
The earring settings are lovely; hope to see pictures of them modified with the stones of your choice soon.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono! I'm going to order them now. Then to find a decent jeweler around here -- have never managed that. Keep trying. Pics when ready, I promise.

--- Laurie

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Looking forward to seeing the final product!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too - especially if you use earring hooks instead of posts. I can't wear posts and am always looking for good and successful modifications. They are beautiful btw. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results