shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone tell me about the Barion cut???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cyren

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I really like the look of step cut stones, but I don''t know if they would afford as much light return as I would want in a colored gem. I''ve looked at rectangular barion cut stones and like the added sparkle, but don''t really know anything about the cut. Any experts want to weigh in?

Thanks!!

Cyren

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock

Devised in ''71 by Basil Watermeyer and named using his 1st initial and all but the 1st letter of his wife''s name, Marion.

Nice, bright cut which will liven up a stone''s light return.

Barioncut.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love that aqua! prefer it to concave cut......

movie zombie

Barbara

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/14/2006 6:50:16 PM
Author:Cyren
Hi all,

I really like the look of step cut stones, but I don''t know if they would afford as much light return as I would want in a colored gem. I''ve looked at rectangular barion cut stones and like the added sparkle, but don''t really know anything about the cut. Any experts want to weigh in?

Thanks!!

Cyren

Hi Cyren,

You asked specifically about step cut stones and Barion cutting does "jazz them up" beautifully. The opal shown below, even though it has the typical opalescent haze, still shows a lot of sparkle due to its Barion cut. This stone would have been pretty dead if a traditional step cut had been used. I think, though, that Barions show their greatest advantage when used in place of traditional brilliant cut ovals, pears and marquis. In these cuts, the non-symmetrical shape necessitates that many of the angles of the pavilion facets deviate far from the "ideal" angle for that gem. The result is that these shapes usually show areas of extinction (dark spots) or windowing (light, non-reflective spots) when viewed from above. In an oval, there''s even a name for this called the "bow-tie" effect. (A sales clerk once tried to sell me (a facetor) an oval stone, by pointing out what a nice "bow-tie" it had! -- which is kind of like a car salesman trying to sell a used car to a mechanic by pointing out what a nice loud "knock" the engine has.
19.gif
By making all of the pavilion angles at or near the ideal angle for that gem Barion cutting results in increased and more even brilliance in ovals, etc. The only down-side, which is minor compared to the increased brilliance, is that pavilions are deeper and fuller than the traditional brilliant cuts and may not fit as easily into calibrated commercial mountings.

Barbara

MO-5024B.jpg

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
"Barion" is actually the name of a group of cuts that Basil Watermeyer developed in the 1970s. They share elements, but there are a variety of "Barion cuts" out there.

Cyren

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your replies. Barbara- I have notices many of the rectangular barion cuts I''ve been looking at have dark, non-reflective spots. Something to be aware of I guess. Thank you all for the great info, so much help!!

Cyren

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi there,
A garnet that I purchased has a barion pavillion, here''s a pic. I really like the way this stone was cut. However, it does seem to make the stone appear a little darker, so it might be best for stones with medium to light tone.

barion_efgergdfg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results