shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone please help me understand this diamond's prices?

xerofactor

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

This is my first post though I've been using the forum to help learn about diamonds. I just stumbled upon this diamond on James Allen and I'm curious as to why it seems significantly underpriced compared to similar diamonds of cut, color, and clarity. Can someone help me understand what factor I seem to be missing in valuing this diamond? Is the black pinpoints? It seems significantly more clear than other diamonds I've looked at, except for those black marks, which I assume wouldn't be seen without a loupe?

Thank you so much in advance

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.25-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-627413

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Can someone please help me understand this diamond's pri

The medium fluorescence has an impact on the price.

Even though it is a VS2, the black carbon spot in the table must be the grade setting inclusion. Check with the vendor to see if it is eyeclean - that type of inclusion can often be seen rather easily because of its location and color.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Can someone please help me understand this diamond's pri

MGR is right.
Those black spots near the center may be a big deal especially if you have excellent close-up vision.
Most VS2s are eye-clean, but not all.

Next, it's a bit deep at 62.7% and scores over 2.0 on the Holloway Cut Advisor.
For that reason alone I'd not buy it.
Diamonds are expensive so I want the best light performance I can find.
The HCA is one tool that helps you get it.
Find rounds that score under 2.0, then get an Idealscope pic before making the final decision.

screen_shot_2015-09-20_at_12.png

screen_shot_2015-09-20_at_0.png

screen_shot_2015-09-20_at_1.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results