shape
carat
color
clarity

can someone help me on a price ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bsacattak

Rough_Rock
I don't have all the specs, but I am going through a buddies dad who owns a jewlery shop. He is in the process of looking for a diamond for me, and is going to do everything he can to get me a good deal. I would like anywhere from 1 carat to 1.25 karats. He said he has a beautiful diamond on hand that is about 1.33 carats, VS1, and H/I color. He is trying to make it work so it fits w/in my budget. The thing that scares me is the color. I really don't want to go lower than F.

Does anyone know how much the diamond that I descibed above would be worth.
I am getting a platinum band, 4 prong solitare setting.
Thanks for your help!

:twirl: :twirl:

bsacattak

Rough_Rock
I know there are alot more specs I need and the info I have is pretty vague, but I am just trying to get a general idea.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hi

plug is the specs on pricescope.com - you will see what you have to pay.

I would be less concerned about the color and more concern about cut. A well cut stone will be brighter. Also, Blue Fluor in a diamond can actually help bump up what color grade the stone faces up as.

Good luck

bsacattak

Rough_Rock
:loopy:
Thanks for your help. I will do that.
So you are saying if you have a really good cut, it can actually enhance the quality of the color.

I have a few friends that have bought rings, and the concensus is with them that if you can get away with going down in clarity to go up in color then do so? Any thoughts??

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yes about the cut.

In real estate it's location, location, location

In diamonds it's ..the cut, the cut, the cut.

Everything else is personal preference.

I went with - a well cut 3 c. stone I color w/ med-strong Blue fluor, SI1 leaning toward SI2. It's plenty bright.

bsacattak

Rough_Rock
I know price plays a factor, but if possible should you always go platinum vs. white gold. I am told that white gold shines better??

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
pros and cons of both.

at the end it's a matter of personal preference. I went w/ a platinum setting this time. Both my other stone are in gold.

One is a family ring w/ all white gold
other was gold band/white head.

Either way - make sure you go w/ a quality setting. Your jeweler can advise you. I think the term is die-struck.

What does the lady prefer? Platinum will cost more

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/15/2002 12:42:43 PM

One is a family ring w/ all white gold
other was gold band/white head.

----------------

meaning that the family ring is still in tact and fine 70+ years later

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
White gold is white because it is rhodium plated. Rhodium is wearing out in about 6 months and your ring will become yellowish - time to reapply rhodium.

Platinum ring can also be plated with rhodium to make it shine. Unlike white gold, platinum will be grayish and won't look as cheap as yellow-white gold.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
leonid, my family ring that is +70 years shows no yellow whatsoever. My other white gold head that is about 20 years old and shows no yellow as well. Perhaps, it depends on the grade or alloy used.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock

Btw, why Vatche doesn't make white gold rings? Because he doesn't want them to become yellowish. It's either yellow gold or platinum.[/u]

bsacattak

Rough_Rock
Not that this is any surprise, but she prefers as big of stone as I can manage. If that means getting white gold vs. platinum to do so then she is fine w/ that, but I think I would prefer platinum. What is the difference moneywise, like 3 times or something???:wavey:

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Leonid, I respectfully disagree as I have handled many estate white gold pieces. ..they are still white. yes, it does not have the grey hue that platinum does...but it is none the less white.

oops, having a lightening storm....must get off the computer...more later

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Simple Tiffany style solitaire can cost

$80 - 14K gold (yellow or white)
$180 - 18K gold
$300 - platinum

bsacattak

Rough_Rock
thanks, definitely worth going platinum!!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
F&I, I'm wondering what is the karat grade of those gold items. Maybe quite low?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Leonid, no the grade is quite American. ...my family ring is 14K. Others have either been marked as such or tested. Seems white gold is a relatively new phenom - I don't see it much before Deco. I am confused about the Rod. plating as this was done in the deco/pseudo edwaridain period. Why in the world would it be done now....it's quite distasteful as it ages. None of my friends white gold is Rod. plated...ump...the mystery continues.

Derek

Rough_Rock
If she is looking for size remember that carat weight does not necessarily equate to actual size (as in diameter and how big it looks next to her friend's). Size is measured in mm, weight is measured in carats. Example a well cut* 1 carat should be around 6.5 mm (*all other proportions could be skewed though so it alone is not a guarantee of quality).
Good luck!
-D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results