shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone direct me to.....

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
an insurance thread for those who already had a claim, but are willing to select a higher-cost plan now, but just NEED a plan?

As some may remember, about this time last year (when I got the wonderful C diagnosis, on top of another health problem) I lost the majority (not all but most) of my jewelry (I am a typical PS girl, I was blinged out even for a date at the doctor's office). I filed reports, I put up signs, but on the Upper East Side on NYC (it is NYC) it was never found. Not one piece.

I replaced parts of my collection but in honesty very little, after a long, long investigation and longer disagreement with then insurer, Jewelers Mutual; in summary, they finally paid for my current ring and then canceled me for life. I understood, and am not mad at all, with a grandfather who owned an insurance business especially. So, no JM options...

I insured my Graff ring with State Farm, after speaking to the agent...they insure our cars, dwelling and all... but now that I am at least back a little (i.e. reading) I decided to re-look at the policy, and it appears to be "of like kind". I know you are probably thinking I should have read the policy ASAP...but to be honest it has been a BAD year and I had other things way, WAY more important than my ring's insurance...

Is there a thread for those who obviously cannot use JM but want replacement of the brand? Anyone know of a good insurer?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about asking Graff (since that's whom, I'm assuming, you'd be turning to for the replacement) about their/their NY customers' experiences with State Farm claims -- and if there are any other insurers they'd suggest you consider (e.g., GemShield?), based on insurers' "track records" insofar as Graff knows that.

You could also contact a Chubb agent to explore the possibilities there. Chubb has tightened up its financial requirements for qualifying potential insureds & also no longer issues stand-alone policies to those who don't have other Chubb insurance. So you'd have to drop some/all of your State Farm policies & I have no idea if the rates for home, auto, etc. you'd get from Chubb are appreciably higher than your State Farm premiums.

In your discussions with prospective insurers, don't forget to nail down exactly what kinds of losses are covered, e.g., just robbery-burglary or are "mysterious losses" covered too. And you might as well also ask about "agreed upon value coverage"; under that kind of policy, the insurance company agrees up-front what amount will be paid in the event of a loss. So you simply get a check for the agreed-upon amount. The premiums for that kind of insurance are, however, appreciably higher -- or at least that was my experience when I was shopping around years ago.

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both! I have just skimmed those threads, and will also ask my Manager at Graff about what they suggest. I still feel very grateful to even need insurance after my last loss... and have NO intention of ever having it happen again, but as I saw, I don't control life :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results