shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone compare these two Princess Cut diamonds please?

chadspivey

Rough_Rock
I have both being sent for gemologist inspection.

The ASET images are different, but I can't really tell which one is "better"

Edit: The ASET images and rest of the report can be found by clicking the box just below the picture of the diamond, on the far left side.

Help?

Diamond 1:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.73-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-990477

Diamond 2:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.70-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-964139

Thanks in advance!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Re: Can someone compare these two Princess Cut diamonds plea

Hi chad,

You've linked to the same diamond. ;))

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

E B|1458175533|4006441 said:
Hi chad,

You've linked to the same diamond. ;))

Oops! Thanks, I fixed it. :D

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

I like number 2 better than number 1.

E B

Ideal_Rock

They both look beautiful. How much more is the G, VVS? You picked two really nice ones.

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

E B|1458179411|4006502 said:
They both look beautiful. How much more is the G, VVS? You picked two really nice ones.

They're the same price actually, $4,240.

I know that the specs on the first one are better than the second, but here's why I don't see them as much different (and please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm really new at this):

1. From what I've been told, you can't tell the difference between a G and an H with the naked eye.

2. Although one is a .73 carat, and the other is only .70 carat, their measurements are almost identical. I assume this is because the .70 carat has a thinner girdle.

3. The difference between VS1 and VVS2 is neglibile (from what I can see in the pics). In fact, from looking at the diamonds and the charts, the VS1 seems to have less inclusions if anything.

The main thing I don't like about the .73 carat is the GIANT "X" that is formed in the middle. It's very thick, in fact thicker than any diamond I have looked at on their site. I worry that it will be quite prevalent, even at only 8 inches, and maybe even more so from 4-6 inches (when she stares at it in awe!)

I honestly don't know what to make of the ASET images. I was hoping someone with more knowledge here could chime in on which one looks better. The .73 (first one) looks like it might have more red (or does it?) It definitely has more blue though near the center. It's hard to tell, but it looks like it also has more gray (light leakage). The chunks of grey are definitely bigger on the sides, but hard to tell if there's more grey overall. The patterns are quite different as well. I just don't know how to tell which one is more ideal!

Any input anyone can give me would be infinitely appreciated. I feel like I'm over analyzing, but my future wife will have this ring for the rest of her life, and I want to get it right.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

16ocean|1458189423|4006580 said:

Whoops! Man, I'm on a roll. I meant $2,420. My budget is no more than $2,500 for the stone.

Thanks!

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

Thanks! I like them too. Can you tell which one has a better ASET image?

Thanks!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the G better, and if they are the same price, it's a no brainer IMO.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

chadspivey|1458221542|4006702 said:

Thanks!
DId you post the asets?

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

telephone89|1458229150|4006751 said:
I like the G better, and if they are the same price, it's a no brainer IMO.

Thanks for the response!Yea, the specs are better in the G, but they're going to look identical to the naked eye, from what I've been told. G or H. VS1 or VVS2. And the actual dimensions are very close, despite the carat difference. The only thing I worry about with the G is how thick the "X" cut in the middle is. It might be really visible, even from 8-10 inches. Do you think it would be?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope, I don't think it would be. Use the scroller bar on the right side to shrink the stone to actual size. Can you still see it?

In addition, the x is white, which will blend in with the sparkle of the diamond. If it were a black X (some cushions have this) it may be more obvious, but I don't think this will be.

And yes, you won't really notice a difference in the specs. There are some H princesses where you can see the tint (I took a quick look on JA to see if there was anything else for you), and yours is perfect - very high coloured H. And I am literally the first person to take a lower colour and clarity for more size, but since you have the best ones, same priced, may as well go for the higher one.

Its like having filet mignon 10oz or sirloin 10oz for the same price. Usually the filet is much more expensive or smaller size for the same price. If you can literally get the more coveted piece at the same price, why wouldn't you?

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

telephone89|1458229342|4006752 said:

Thanks!
DId you post the asets?

Sorry, I don't know how. I'm posting the AGS certs here, which include the ASETS. Sorry, I don't know how to make the images zoom-able. Any help with that would be appreciated!

Diamond 1 (the G)
aset1_14.jpg

Diamond 2 (the H)
aset2_10.jpg

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

telephone89|1458229763|4006760 said:
Nope, I don't think it would be. Use the scroller bar on the right side to shrink the stone to actual size. Can you still see it?

In addition, the x is white, which will blend in with the sparkle of the diamond. If it were a black X (some cushions have this) it may be more obvious, but I don't think this will be.

And yes, you won't really notice a difference in the specs. There are some H princesses where you can see the tint (I took a quick look on JA to see if there was anything else for you), and yours is perfect - very high coloured H. And I am literally the first person to take a lower colour and clarity for more size, but since you have the best ones, same priced, may as well go for the higher one.

Its like having filet mignon 10oz or sirloin 10oz for the same price. Usually the filet is much more expensive or smaller size for the same price. If you can literally get the more coveted piece at the same price, why wouldn't you?

Thanks for the reply! Do you think the ASETS are of equal quality? The patterns are different, but I don't know if that means one is better than the other.

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

telephone89|1458229342|4006752 said:

Thanks!
DId you post the asets?

If you cant zoom in the certs I posted, the asets can be found from the original links. The cert link is just under the diamond pic, on the far left side.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The asets are computer generated, and I don't love to 'judge' anything from them. But I do still like the G better - with more red toward the outer edges. I don't think the blue is a bad thing, and does appear in both.

E B

Ideal_Rock

telephone89|1458234998|4006845 said:
The asets are computer generated, and I don't love to 'judge' anything from them. But I do still like the G better - with more red toward the outer edges. I don't think the blue is a bad thing, and does appear in both.

I agree. I think I'd go for the G, too.

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

E B|1458235628|4006853 said:
telephone89|1458234998|4006845 said:

I agree. I think I'd go for the G, too.

Any reason in particular, or it just looks niver? Does the ASET look better too? I'm probably putting too much stock into the ASET image...

E B

Ideal_Rock

chadspivey|1458244157|4006921 said:
Any reason in particular, or it just looks niver? Does the ASET look better too? I'm probably putting too much stock into the ASET image...

Echoing telephone, the red extends further on the G's ASET (given it's accurate). It's also higher in clarity and color for the same price, the color being a plus if you're putting it into a halo or next to any smaller diamonds. But either way, you really can't go wrong.

chadspivey

Rough_Rock

E B|1458262161|4007063 said:
chadspivey|1458244157|4006921 said:

Echoing telephone, the red extends further on the G's ASET (given it's accurate). It's also higher in clarity and color for the same price, the color being a plus if you're putting it into a halo or next to any smaller diamonds. But either way, you really can't go wrong.

It almost looks like a lot of the "red" in the corners of the G is actually gray when you zoom in on the aset on the website. The pics I posted might be a little misleading because the resolution is lower. Either way, it sounds like the G is the way to go. I think both have about the same amount of red, I need just worried about all the blue towards the center of the G.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results